By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sonic X Shadow Generations gets 9 minutes of gameplay

The next Sonic (and Shadow) game just got 9 minutes of gameplay footage, showing all three gameplay styles.

Here's the video:

My thoughts:

Shadow - It looks like they went for Sonic Adventure gameplay style, and that's a good thing. Shadow is not just a "Sonic clone", he has his own abilities, and so far I can't see anything that would be labeled as "bad". You can see he fighting Biolizard from Sonic Adventure 2 and I'm not sure if I saw Westopolis from Shadow the Hedgehog, maybe someone else can say for sure.

Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic - Well, it seems like the same base game from PS3 and 360, but now with revamped graphics. One of my worries was that they wouldn't change anything at all, and it looks like that's the case. Maybe they will add some surprises like extra levels, since we had more Sonic games after Generations, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

So far so good. I'm most likely getting this game, even if only for Shadow's campaign.

Around the Network

I mean it's a remaster of the PS3/360 with added content. It's fairly basic but also for Sega, it definitely reflects the 49$ price point.

Though until we have the game in our hands, I'll reserve judgement for how well they pull it off. They haven't been too great with their re-releases as of late. Origins and Sonic Colors were undercooked

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Watching footage of the Biolizard fight reminds me of the bad times when I fought it in Sonic Adventure 2 on GCN like back in 2003 or so.

Damn - at least looking at this footage, it looks like its not buggy and glitched out like it was in Adventure 2 so thats a good thing lol.

BasilZero said:

Watching footage of the Biolizard fight reminds me of the bad times when I fought it in Sonic Adventure 2 on GCN like back in 2003 or so.

Damn - at least looking at this footage, it looks like its not buggy and glitched out like it was in Adventure 2 so thats a good thing lol.

Shadow's reputation as a playable character is not the best. Sonic Adventure 2 is the only acclaimed game where he is a protagonist. Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic 2006 and Sonic Forces Episode Shadow are all subpar titles. I'm not sure about Sonic Heroes.

Maybe he can have a good title for him now. I hope so.

I'm excited for this! I love Shadow!

Around the Network

Still have my 360 copy. May check it out. No interest in Shadow stuff. Shadow is lame.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:

Still have my 360 copy. May check it out. No interest in Shadow stuff. Shadow is lame.

I love Shadow. I mean, Shadow is awful, but he's the perfect encapsulation of late 90's early 2000's edgelord angst. Whether new levels are enough of a reason for me to buy this game, I dunno. Generations is the best 3D sonic but it plays perfectly fine on 360. 

JWeinCom said:
Leynos said:

I love Shadow. I mean, Shadow is awful, but he's the perfect encapsulation of late 90's early 2000's edgelord angst. Whether new levels are enough of a reason for me to buy this game, I dunno. Generations is the best 3D sonic but it plays perfectly fine on 360. 

I still feel Colors is the best even if the remaster fucked up. Generations was solid tho. Yeah the ow the edge thing turns me off. The early 2000s is a rough time for pop culture.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:
JWeinCom said:

I still feel Colors is the best even if the remaster fucked up. Generations was solid tho. Yeah the ow the edge thing turns me off. The early 2000s is a rough time for pop culture.

I don't really consider Sonic Colors a 3D Sonic game. It's pretty rare in that game that you'll spend more than a minute at a time in 3D. Conservatively, 2/3 of the time you're playing 2D Sonic. Generations is a bit similar in that regard, but there are at least some solid chunks of 3D gameplay. Either way, I think it's the better game. 

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

Shadow's reputation as a playable character is not the best. Sonic Adventure 2 is the only acclaimed game where he is a protagonist. Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic 2006 and Sonic Forces Episode Shadow are all subpar titles. I'm not sure about Sonic Heroes.

Maybe he can have a good title for him now. I hope so.

Havent played Shadow the Hedgehog but Sonic 06 was mad garbage for sure, one of the worst games I've played.

Sonic Forces Episode Shadow was okay though.