By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How far away are we from seeing games like Horizon: Zero Dawn and Spiderman 2018 on Switch/Switch 2?

zeldaring said:
Soundwave said:

Oh they will be offering the option. Right after you fork over $450 for a Switch 2.  

They know exactly what they are doing.

Matching/exceeding the 150+ million the Switch 1 is going to be incredibly hard for anyone to do, Sony has never come close to matching PS2 sales. Nintendo knows this full well and pulled the chute. 4K/increased frame rates for Switch games are already possible now, they just know it's better kept as a sales feature for Switch 2 at this point. 

This is why i don't really buy Nintendo hardware.  that's a whole  8 years of people playing with gimped hardware when they could have easily offered at least reasonable clock speeds to get stable 30fps in many games and slightly better visuals but naw we gonna make the hardware as crappy as possible just like the wii, wiiu and now Switch. 

Blame COVID, because it's pretty obvious the OLED was being prepped as a Pro/4K model otherwise. They opted to nix it and slap an OLED screen on instead but got stuck with a 4K dock + 4K altered chipset that they had already R&Ded and designed. So they basically just kept the dock and newer chip, even though there was no point to it. 

In an alternative time line they would probably have needed a Switch Pro by around 2021 as the Switch would've had a more natural sales decline. COVID just blew that out of the water entirely, they got essentially two free "peak years" with no natural aging or loss of momentum for the system at all. You'll likely never see a hardware boost like that ever again in the business. 

At that point you have to then start thinking about "ok, well what's going to be best for Switch 2". And the answer then is pretty obvious. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 20 June 2024

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
zeldaring said:

This is why i don't really buy Nintendo hardware.  that's a whole  8 years of people playing with gimped hardware when they could have easily offered at least reasonable clock speeds to get stable 30fps in many games and slightly better visuals but naw we gonna make the hardware as crappy as possible just like the wii, wiiu and now Switch. 

Blame COVID, because it's pretty obvious the OLED was being prepped as a Pro/4K model otherwise. They opted to nix it and slap an OLED screen on instead but got stuck with a 4K dock + 4K altered chipset that they had already R&Ded and designed. So they basically just kept the dock and newer chip, even though there was no point to it. 

In an alternative time line they would probably have needed a Switch Pro by around 2021 as the Switch would've had a more natural sales decline. COVID just blew that out of the water entirely, they got essentially two free "peak years" with no natural aging or loss of momentum for the system at all. 

At that point you have to then start thinking about "ok, well what's going to be best for Switch 2". And the answer then is pretty obvious. 

That's your opinion.  giving developers the clock speeds df had In there analysis were super safe, and hardly gave a boost that anyone would call a pro but it would give gamers much a better experience. Like more stable 720p, 30fps or 60fps but they never cared about that after the GC.

zeldaring said:
Soundwave said:

In an alternative time line they would probably have needed a Switch Pro by around 2021 as the Switch would've had a more natural sales decline. COVID just blew that out of the water entirely, they got essentially two free "peak years" with no natural aging or loss of momentum for the system at all. 

That's your opinion.  giving developers the clock speeds df had In there analysis were super safe, and hardly gave a boost that anyone would call a pro but it would give gamers much a better experience. Like more stable 720p, 30fps or 60fps but they never cared about that after the GC.

No offense to DF but they are not using the most modern mods and OC software. They're not an authority on the topic of Switch home brew/overclocking at all. 

You also have to again understand this is not the max performance you would get on an actual official Switch Pro/4K, these are just brute force overclocks and there are resolution caps on a lot of these games too (these games aren't programmed to go over say 720p in a lot of cases, the chip could be 10x more powerful and it still wouldn't scale past 720p). You need the developer to actually sit down and program that aspect of it. 

But for higher resolution, you can see here 

At 20:40, he's able to run an EMULATED version of Lets Go Pokemon and Mario RPG at resolutions of 4K, which is insane because you have to consider the heavy overhead of emulating a system. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 20 June 2024

Hear me out. The OLED is secretly the S2. The S2 is secretly the S3. Overclocked the S2 will ps5 pro, because really it is a S3.

Joking aside, full performance on the dock via S2 is going to be huge.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

I think former Sony exclusives on the Switch 2 would make sense for Sony as well. Maybe start with Spiderman, because it's a hugely popular IP around the world and see how it goes.
The only question is how easy will it be to port to the new Switch, but I guess it will be okay.

Around the Network
Dante9 said:

I think former Sony exclusives on the Switch 2 would make sense for Sony as well. Maybe start with Spiderman, because it's a hugely popular IP around the world and see how it goes.
The only question is how easy will it be to port to the new Switch, but I guess it will be okay.

I'd imagine porting it would be pretty easy. We don't have confirmed specs for the next Switch, but it's safe to say that it's going to be around the PS4 in power and capabilities, on top of having newer chipset features.

If Sony doesn't want to have one of its studios do the work, then I know a nice little porting studio Nintendo just acquired for this sort of thing.

Soundwave said:
zeldaring said:

My friend it's not rocket science your source santiago says in his video Hogwartz can't go over 720p even with over clocks cause it runs at 20fps only so it's doesn't offer huge boost in resolution like you state. With the over clock hogwartz runs at 28-30 fps with no over clocks it was 20-30fps. Just watch all the videos of santiago it clearly shows in the same settings the jump is like 5-15fps.

12 minutes into the video, you're going to say with a straight face there is no difference in resolution from the left to right image? 

You should also read his comments, his videos are generally good but he made a mistake of not upclocking the RAM in his Switch comparisons which people point out to him. From his own comments, he responded:

UPDATE: I was able to easily push the ram to 2400MHz, this made a big difference, expect it to be closer to 60 FPS with that extra adjustment

The fact that a Switch can get anywhere even in the ball park of 40-60 fps, when PS4 and XBox One are 30 fps is not anything to complain about. 

Just saw the Hogwarts comparison yea it' big and that resolution is probably 400p, the game for the most part is 540p in handheld and is a unfair comparison really showing the worst part of the base switch version where it's gonna  be extremely bandwidth starved cause of the trees and angle. 

Nothing amazing about the switch doing 40-60fps when the game looks like a turd on a big screen.

You also fail to mention that these over clocks don't really have that much effect on docked mode, the huge benefit is handheld mode. I think people that want a pro would want much bigger benefit on a big screen. also you keep saying Nintendo didn't over clock cause they wanted weaker hardware for a bigger jump for switch 2 but even the OG switch is severely under clocked, according  to your sources over clocking the memory would use no extra power and offers a nice  stable 30fps for botw and Totk so maybe it's just nintendo  realizes this is device mainly for kids and doesn't  want them tinkering with setting and just wants the longest battery life possible.

Last edited by zeldaring - on 20 June 2024

zeldaring said:
Soundwave said:

12 minutes into the video, you're going to say with a straight face there is no difference in resolution from the left to right image? 

You should also read his comments, his videos are generally good but he made a mistake of not upclocking the RAM in his Switch comparisons which people point out to him. From his own comments, he responded:

UPDATE: I was able to easily push the ram to 2400MHz, this made a big difference, expect it to be closer to 60 FPS with that extra adjustment

The fact that a Switch can get anywhere even in the ball park of 40-60 fps, when PS4 and XBox One are 30 fps is not anything to complain about. 

Just saw the Hogwarts comparison yea it' big and that resolution is probably 400p, the game for the most part is 540p in handheld and is a unfair comparison really showing the worst part of the base switch version where it's gonna  be extremely bandwidth starved cause of the trees and angle. 

Nothing amazing about the switch doing 40-60fps when the game looks like a turd on a big screen.

you also fail to mention that these over clocks don't really have that much effect on docked mode, the huge benefit is handheld mode. I think people that want a pro would want much bigger benefit on a big screen. also you keep saying Nintendo didn't over clock cause they wanted weaker hardware for a bigger jump for switch 2 but even the OG switch is severely under clocked, according  to you sources over clocking the memory would use no extra and offers a nice  stable 30fps for botw and Totk so maybe it's just nintendo  realizes this is device mainly for kids and doesn't  want them tinkering with setting and just wants the longest battery life possible.

You are wasting your time.  He is just going to tell you 400p + DLSS magically looks like 4k.  

At some point you just need to learn when to ignore silly people.

Just my 2 cents, for what it is worth.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Soundwave said:
zeldaring said:

No offense to DF but they are not using the most modern mods and OC software. They're not an authority on the topic of Switch home brew/overclocking at all. 

You also have to again understand this is not the max performance you would get on an actual official Switch Pro/4K, these are just brute force overclocks and there are resolution caps on a lot of these games too (these games aren't programmed to go over say 720p in a lot of cases, the chip could be 10x more powerful and it still wouldn't scale past 720p). You need the developer to actually sit down and program that aspect of it. 

But for higher resolution, you can see here 

At 20:40, he's able to run an EMULATED version of Lets Go Pokemon and Mario RPG at resolutions of 4K, which is insane because you have to consider the heavy overhead of emulating a system. 

Here is minecraft running on switch emulated  significantly   much better then  regular stock game, so that's why these comparisons should be done by professionals not some random youtubers. 

DLSS does work fairly well at higher resolutions. Last of Us is poorly optimized on PC, specifically it hammers the CPU.

I moved from native 4k to 1440p rendered upscaled to 4k. I went from 80 fps to 120 fps. CPU temperature dropped massively.

Image is sharp and clean. But particles are clearly less defined compared to native 4k. And some metal objectives in the distance shimmer.

But I think it is worth the locked 120 fps. But DLSS isn't perfect and performs worse at lower resolutions.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED