By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 22, 2024 (May 27 - Jun 02)

Soundwave said:
Valdney said:

SMBW should not be losing to anything other than new releases. The game is not that good.

Truth is Mario Kart is actually *the* lead Mario franchise now, not the platformer games. 2D and 3D Mario are also now about evenly popular. 

Some people are gonna be in denial about this but the numbers are staring them right in the face. 

People are in denial that Mario Wonder is not a great game. 

Around the Network
zeldaring said:
Valdney said:

SMBW should not be losing to anything other than new releases. The game is not that good.

I'm playing wonder now it's good game but it's really not that much better NSMU franchise.

It is worse actually. SMBwii was a much better game. At least Mario does not get transformed into all kinds of weird shit in those games. They are much more cohesive adventures.

Mario Wonder has a much tighter gameplay and better music though. 

Valdney said:
Soundwave said:

Truth is Mario Kart is actually *the* lead Mario franchise now, not the platformer games. 2D and 3D Mario are also now about evenly popular. 

Some people are gonna be in denial about this but the numbers are staring them right in the face. 

Greatness is a matter of opinion.

Personally, I'd rank Wonder as one of the best 2D platformers of the 21st century, perhaps second only to Tropical Freeze. 

You're certainly free to dislike it, but sales don't prove anything either way, and it is actually selling very well.

Valdney said:
zeldaring said:

I'm playing wonder now it's good game but it's really not that much better NSMU franchise.

It is worse actually. SMBwii was a much better game. At least Mario does not get transformed into all kinds of weird shit in those games. They are much more cohesive adventures.

Mario Wonder has a much tighter gameplay and better music though. 

It's a  quality game, with great controls and music. The levels are way too small with hardly any exploration and the seeds are just so easy to find i really don't get the point, everything just seems dumbed down for kids except the few harder levels. It diffidently  should be more like 40$ game. 

Last edited by zeldaring - on 07 June 2024

curl-6 said:
Valdney said:

Greatness is a matter of opinion.

Personally, I'd rank Wonder as one of the best 2D platformers of the 21st century, perhaps second only to Tropical Freeze. 

You're certainly free to dislike it, but sales don't prove anything either way, and it is actually selling very well.

Tropical freeze is in a different league. 

Around the Network

Wonder was really good. I rather enjoyed it. I don't think it was mind blowing but it was really good.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:

Wonder was really good. I rather enjoyed it. I don't think it was mind blowing but it was really good.

I also agree it's really good, but it's differently not doing anything mind blowing. Tropical freeze is near perfect for me.

zeldaring said:
Chrkeller said:

I also agree it's really good, but it's differently not doing anything mind blowing. Tropical freeze is near perfect for me.

Different audience.  Wonder is great coop with the wife, who isn't a hardcore gamer.  Freeze is tough as nails and is for core gamers who like pain.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:
zeldaring said:

Different audience.  Wonder is great coop with the wife, who isn't a hardcore gamer.  Freeze is tough as nails and is for core gamers who like pain.  

Well freeze just does everything better aside from being more challenging. Mario wonder is just find the seed which are not really hidden at all, then changes the level and you're done 1 minute later with level. In a age were 2d games have taken exploration and hidden secrets to new levels this is very basic. still really enjoying it and gonna 100% the game so it's still early to give my final thoughts i'm 8 hours in.

Last edited by zeldaring - on 07 June 2024

Mario Wonder is not bad. It's just not generation-defining game anymore

I always found the sales of other 2D Mario on Wii amusingly high for a markert heavily skewed towards 3D action games. I believe they were mostly a reminiscent of old gamers who firstly experienced gaming in 2D, as well as kids whose first experiences were also 2D games (I was one of those kids)

But flash forward to 2024... it's a whooping 15 years since Super Mario Bros Wii release, maybe 2D games just don't have a mass broader appeal like they did in well past