By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Spain Hardware Sales - May 2024: Old PS4 beats xbox series

Genuine question. Does anyone know if that has ever happened before? A last gen console that is over 10 years old outselling a current gen platform?

Around the Network
Hardstuck-Platinum said:

Genuine question. Does anyone know if that has ever happened before? A last gen console that is over 10 years old outselling a current gen platform?

PS2 maybe ? 

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Mar1217 said:
Hardstuck-Platinum said:

PS2 maybe ? 

PS2 launched in 2000. PS3, 360 and Wii were all doing pretty well in 2010 so I can't imagine PS2 beating any of those anywhere.

Hardstuck-Platinum said:
Mar1217 said:

PS2 maybe ? 

PS2 launched in 2000. PS3, 360 and Wii were all doing pretty well in 2010 so I can't imagine PS2 beating any of those anywhere.

We are in a thread about Spain sales overall, so for all we know, it might have happened there.

Anyway, if we are speaking mainly of global sales. The PS4 hasn't beaten the Series S/X for all we know.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Mar1217 said:

For funsies, we also have the numbers sold of the Lenovo Go and the RoG Asus PC handheld for one of those weeks.

One had about 100, the other 30 sold.

For those thinking the PC handheld market is actual competing currently with the console market or the Nintendo Switch hybrid, we're still FAAAAAAAAARRRRR from it

And the MSI CLaw has probably sold a big fat 0. Windows 11 is absolute dog shit for PC and mega dog shit for handhelds.

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:
Hardstuck-Platinum said:

We are in a thread about Spain sales overall, so for all we know, it might have happened there.

Anyway, if we are speaking mainly of global sales. The PS4 hasn't beaten the Series S/X for all we know.

No this thread is specifically about the videogame sales in Spain for the month of May. See title -

Spain Hardware Sales - May 2024: Old PS4 beats xbox series

Also, I know Series X/S have outsold PS4 worldwide, but again that's not the topic of this thread is it? Excluding countries like Brazil that still sell the Sega Master system, this may represent the only time that a console that is over 10 years old has outsold a current generation console. That is an incredible feat and maybe a record for Sony 

Hardstuck-Platinum said:
Mar1217 said:

No this thread is specifically about the videogame sales in Spain for the month of May. See title -

Spain Hardware Sales - May 2024: Old PS4 beats xbox series

Also, I know Series X/S have outsold PS4 worldwide, but again that's not the topic of this thread is it? Excluding countries like Brazil that still sell the Sega Master system, this may represent the only time that a console that is over 10 years old has outsold a current generation console. That is an incredible feat and maybe a record for Sony 

So you are going to run with this as fact without doing any research besides, "Does anyone know?" followed up with zero confirmation one way or the other? I would like to say, I'm surprised by this level of ignorance, but I'm not. 

Hardstuck-Platinum said:

The Gameboy was doing pretty well for a very long time and it beat more handheld competitors than I can count.

Hardstuck-Platinum said:

PS2 had beaten the current gen console numerous times in 2006, 2007, 2008, I am not sure about 2010, but it was still doing around 7-8M per year back then, so surely it could've come close or even passed one of them at least once for a week or a month. The Wii started to drop a lot monthly and weekly then, so it is possible. I am talking worldwide. For one country only, it is possible too since it had countries that got the PS2 late in it's life.

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts / 140M+ Club Chart

XtremeBG said:
Hardstuck-Platinum said:

PS2 had beaten the current gen console numerous times in 2006, 2007, 2008, I am not sure about 2010, but it was still doing around 7-8M per year back then, so surely it could've come close or even passed one of them at least once for a week or a month. The Wii started to drop a lot monthly and weekly then, so it is possible. I am talking worldwide. For one country only, it is possible too since it had countries that got the PS2 late in it's life.

Wii was still outselling PS3/360 in 2010 (over 17m vs just under 14m each) so not likely PS2 was beating any of these consoles at the time with the possible exception of small, developing countries.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.