By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation portable 3, Do you think it possible?

PSP3...

High possibility 6 18.18%

Low possibility 16 48.48%

Definitely happening 1 3.03%

Definitely NOT happening 8 24.24%

Other 2 6.06%

Total:33

I do wish for a PSP3
But a PSP3 would need a constant stream of exclusives to become a success anywhere near the original PSP
I dont see that happening right now.
Not gonna say it wont happen, I truely hope they do, but the chance is small... very small...
I also wouldnt want to miss out on physical media. The lack thereof would be an instant deal breaker for me, so that's another "problem" (for me)

A potential PSP3 would make sense though, because Sony could use it to test the waters with many new IPs and sequels to forgotten ones.
Imagine Sony gets RockStar to make a new Midnight Club for it.

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:

I like portables more than laptops. Gaming laptops are heavy and hard to carry around.

I want a Deck 2, assuming a better gpu/cpu chipset.

Personally, I wasn't thrilled the performance of the 3050, not given the size and weight of the laptop.  

A deck is 600 grams.  My 3050 laptop is 2,800 grams....  

Exactly, then you need to lug around a mouse or controller aswell. Only plus is the battery and screen size. 

LegitHyperbole said:
Chrkeller said:

I like portables more than laptops. Gaming laptops are heavy and hard to carry around.

I want a Deck 2, assuming a better gpu/cpu chipset.

Personally, I wasn't thrilled the performance of the 3050, not given the size and weight of the laptop.  

A deck is 600 grams.  My 3050 laptop is 2,800 grams....  

Exactly, then you need to lug around a mouse or controller aswell. Only plus is the battery and screen size. 

I'm not sure on the battery.  Crank that 3050 in performance and the battery is 45 minutes.  To get the 3050 performance requires plugged in.  At least in my experience.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

LegitHyperbole said:
Tober said:

Big question is if it would use X86 or ARM. Steamdeck uses X86, Switch uses ARM.

ARM is usually better for battery live and might overall be a cheaper design. But if the PSP3 would take advantage of ARM there would not be a plug-and-play for the PS4 library of games. These games need work in porting them.

If it uses X86 it has the same challenges as Steamdeck in battery live and price. Or in other words a portable PC, not a dedicated handheld/hybrid design like Switch.

Other question is if such a PSP3 would support physical media or be digital games only. If digital only it would limit its appeal.

I don't think so, Digital only is now the time. God knows a memory stick on Switch is preferable to messing with carts. Can't even find where my carts are, bloody small little things. I don't think anyone likes carts. 

I would love to get away from carts BUT as someone with 4 switches in the house and Nintendo being how they are about being able to share software ... Carts are the cheapest option.  I also have a case for my Switch that holds about 20 carts and a couple small plastic cases that that hold 4 carts each.  Until Nintendo allows you to share digital software with your family group, carts are the only way everyone can play a title without me spending $240 per game (4x$60). From a financial / convince perspective I like carts as a multi system owner.

The_Yoda said:
LegitHyperbole said:

I don't think so, Digital only is now the time. God knows a memory stick on Switch is preferable to messing with carts. Can't even find where my carts are, bloody small little things. I don't think anyone likes carts. 

I would love to get away from carts BUT as someone with 4 switches in the house and Nintendo being how they are about being able to share software ... Carts are the cheapest option.  I also have a case for my Switch that holds about 20 carts and a couple small plastic cases that that hold 4 carts each.  Until Nintendo allows you to share digital software with your family group, carts are the only way everyone can play a title without me spending $240 per game (4x$60). From a financial / convince perspective I like carts as a multi system owner.

Similar here.  Nintendo has a god awful digital program.  I hope it is improved on the S2.  Fingers crossed our digital switch games even carry over.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
LegitHyperbole said:

I'm not sure on the battery.  Crank that 3050 in performance and the battery is 45 minutes.  To get the 3050 performance requires plugged in.  At least in my experience.

Oof, that's rough. Wasn't thinking of machines you kit yourself. usually a company tailors the hardware with the battery. You'd have to be tugging around a cable and power brick and all so. Not exactly a portable option. 

The_Yoda said:
LegitHyperbole said:

That's a must, not just on PSP3 or Switch 2, but all games ecosystems for the future. Ps4 had it a little with shareplay but they didn't flesh it out or expand on it. They need a family or group plan akin to Netflix or Spotify and most certainly for subscription plans to work long term. I understand where you're at though, hopefully Nintendo will evolve with the times.... and the rest of them too. 

I'm starting to think this might actually be less of a rumor and more of a Sony testing the water type deal. Based on How it's covering my X feed and I keep running into it on Youtube. They're definitely cooking something. Changing my vote to high possibility.

LegitHyperbole said:
The_Yoda said:

That's a must, not just on PSP3 or Switch 2, but all games ecosystems for the future. Ps4 had it a little with shareplay but they didn't flesh it out or expand on it. They need a family or group plan akin to Netflix or Spotify and most certainly for subscription plans to work long term. I understand where you're at though, hopefully Nintendo will evolve with the times.... and the rest of them too. 

Well, I can share over 99% of my Steam games with up to 5 family members, only some EA and Ubisoft games are excluded:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/593110/view/4149575031735702628

No subscription needed. Only restriction: the same game can't be played by several family members at the same time.

And instead of switching carts with single games, I switch SD-cards with whole genres/series on it:

Hotswapping microSD cards works great on Steam Deck.

They are also not bound to a single device but can be inserted in different Steam Decks. It just works.

Last edited by Conina - on 06 June 2024

Conina said:
LegitHyperbole said:

Well, I can share over 99% of my Steam games with up to 5 family members, only some EA and Ubisoft games are excluded:

No subscription needed. Only restriction: the same game can't be played by several family members at the same time.

And instead of switching carts with single games, I switch SD-cards with whole genres/series on it:

Hotswapping microSD cards works great on Steam Deck.

They are also not bound to a single device but can be inserted in different Steam Decks. It just works.

Cool, but how small are these cards that they only hold so little? You tried a 256gb card? Also, love the dirt/Grid combo.