By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation portable 3, Do you think it possible?

PSP3...

High possibility 6 18.18%

Low possibility 16 48.48%

Definitely happening 1 3.03%

Definitely NOT happening 8 24.24%

Other 2 6.06%

Total:33

There has been alot of rumors about this..... the "strength" of its library would be native PS4 games playable on it.
And then if it sells well, probably gets 1st and 3rd party support ontop.

Such a device could probably do well enough.

Around the Network
LegitHyperbole said:

A handheld capable of playing the entire PS4 library, it's own exclusives and a curated indie selection instead of the trash heap you have to shovel through on steam deck or Nintendo Switch. Do you think this rumor has any validity?  

One can dream. That'd be so awesome to be able to take PS+ catalogue and your existing library with you on the go, streaming and all. This would have a high chance of competing with the Switch/Switch 2 and take a meaningful slice of the pie. It's definitely fair better than Steamdeck and Steamdeck clones. 

price?
weight?
battery?

Even if the price, weight and battery are good, it does not compete with switch/switch 2. Nintendo's flagship games are too superior. And it also arrives 7 years late.

PSP was profitable but got clobbered by the mega-titan DS and even the aging Game Boy Advance was still competition before it was discontinued.
Vita was a failure, and pretty much DOA with the memory cards, price, and a shrinking handheld game console market.
A true PSP 3 (that is if you view PS Vita as PSP 2 which it pretty much is) is a big financial gamble for Sony. You have to build up a library of games between ports and native versions, an identity, proper pricing etc.
PlayStation Portal is a baffling product. Instead of that or a PSP 3, Sony should make a device similar to Steam Deck. PlayStation Now/Go/Remote or whatever you would call it with
1. Native PS4 library supported offline and online with or without streaming.
2. PS5 library supported when streamed from PS5
3. Bluetooth
4. Second screen functions with PS4 and PS5.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 161 million (was 73 million, then 96 million, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million, then 156 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

We're supposedly getting a tease of the Xbox handheld Sunday at the showcase. So... it begins?

I suspect the rumored PS product might be just a premium "Portal + PS4" thing instead of a dedicated handheld per se, though.

As a niche product like the Playstation Portal? Sure. If there's a market for that, then no reason why there's not an audience for something like this.

As something that's going to sell more than 30 millionish units? Probably not, and definitely not with the main selling point being the PS4 library. The PS4 is a generation and a half old at this point, and while there's definitely some people who would love to take their library on the go with them without having to stream, it's definitely not enough. It's unclear why indies would make that much of a difference, since those will for the most part play just fine on the Switch. They could make the shop a bit better, but it's not like the PSStore is currently amazing in that regard, and even if it were, I feel like the niche that would be interested in this are the type that could find the indie games they want just fine.

If it's going to be a separate platform from the PS5, then it would need to have strong exclusives. Sony was sort of able to do that with the PSP and failed to do it with the Vita. It's not clear why they would do any better nowadays. Even Nintendo, which had a strong history of supporting a separate console and handheld line realized that doing so wasn't really viable anymore. It's unclear why this would do any better than the Vita.

Around the Network

I don't get the love for the these handhelds and even worse one that is locked on playstation or xbox. get a 14 inch laptop that can play every nintendo game, ps2, and xbox everywhere, plus a massive selection of steam games.

haxxiy said

...or they could release it with the PS4 APU shrunk to N6 or whatever. 100% instant compatibility and it would be pretty cheap (<75mm²) to boot.

And reopen manufacturing for that older hardware after they shut it down a couple years ago?

I don't see it. Not to mention that the APU wasn't designed for low wattage, so the device would have very poor battery life. 

zeldaring said:

I don't get the love for the these handhelds and even worse one that is locked on playstation or xbox. get a 14 inch laptop that can play every nintendo game, ps2, and xbox everywhere, plus a massive selection of steam games.

You literally used the keyword (handheld), which is the appeal. Laptops aren't handheld, just portable. 

Phenomajp13 said:
zeldaring said:

You literally used the keyword (handheld), which is the appeal. Laptops aren't handheld, just portable. 

I was talking about myself. I don't get the love cause I can use a laptop and game everywhere just like a handheld but with a much better screen and controls, especially these bigger handhelds which are half the size of 14 inch laptop

zeldaring said:
Phenomajp13 said:

I was talking about myself. I don't get the love cause I can use a laptop and game everywhere just like a handheld but with a much better screen and controls, especially these bigger handhelds which are half the size of 14 inch laptop

How does a laptop have better controls?