By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Prediction: Microsoft closes Activision purchase by Tuesday, July 18th

I was leaning towards next week. It comes down to if the CMA won't be mad if Microsoft closes the deal everywhere except in the UK while they work out a deal, and what happens with the 9th circuit of appeals decision with the FTC appeal. I'm now 50/50 on it closing early next week. If not it will probably close once the CMA and Microsoft work out a deal in the next month or so.

Last edited by trunkswd - on 14 July 2023

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

OP...You may be right.

Ryuu96 said:

OP...You may be right.

So it comes down to the UK. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

VAMatt said:
the-pi-guy said:

I think it would take a small miracle to close next week.

I'm leaning more towards September/October.

Want to bet? $10 to the digital game store of The winners choice. I get the next 30 days, you get the rest of August, September, and October. If it hasn't closed by then, it's a push.  

No, I'm like 50/50-ish. 

Either things will be done soon, or things will last forever. That's been how this has been going for me.

So as of 11:59 PM PST today, Microsoft can officially close in America.

The FTC's Appeal against Judge Corley's verdict still remains but...

A. Extremely unlikely they'll win that.

B. Irrelevant as to whether Microsoft can close or not, Microsoft CAN close in America now after today.

The only hurdle that remains is the CMA...If the CMA has given Microsoft permission to close and lifted the worldwide ban then this deal could be closed by Monday in everywhere aside from the UK but either way will be closed whenever Microsoft is done talking with the CMA (which CMA says will be August 29th at the latest), or Microsoft can close over the CMA and face the consequences.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 14 July 2023

Around the Network

If MS closes in North America, does that mean Acti-Blizzard games can start popping up on Game Pass as soon as MS wants in markets aside from the UK?

Soundwave said:

If MS closes in North America, does that mean Acti-Blizzard games can start popping up on Game Pass as soon as MS wants in markets aside from the UK?

If the deal closes, MS can do whatever they want.

I'm planning to pick up Diablo 4 soon. But if the deal closes in the next couple of days, maybe I'll wait until it makes its way to game pass. 

Based on the FTC failing their recent appeal, it could happen then or soon after.

CaptainExplosion said:

Based on the FTC failing their recent appeal, it could happen then or soon after.

Yeah. I feel better about this prediction now than I did when I made it.  I think there's about a 70% chance that this deal closes by Tuesday. 

VAMatt said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Yeah. I feel better about this prediction now than I did when I made it.  I think there's about a 70% chance that this deal closes by Tuesday. 

I'm gonna check back on Tuesday anyway.