By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Nation |OT| Swinging to Spider-Man 2

PotentHerbs said:

I wonder if Firesprite will ever port Horizon Call of the Mountain for traditional controls like they did with The Persistence. With PSVR2 resembling a traditional controller it should be an easier task.

Doubtful. They are very different experiences.

The Persistence was a DualShock 4 game. So the main change would be changing the camera set up for flat screen.

Whereas Horizon CotM seems to extensively use the VR controls. 

Around the Network

Sony's CFO reiterated that they still had 0.7 trillion yen ($5 billion) for acquisitions and investments in the next year. 

Really don't expect them to acquire a publisher. But I think it's incredibly likely that SIE acquires more studios. 

the-pi-guy said:

Sony's CFO reiterated that they still had 0.7 trillion yen ($5 billion) for acquisitions and investments in the next year. 

Really don't expect them to acquire a publisher. But I think it's incredibly likely that SIE acquires more studios. 

They can still get Square Enix, right?

kazuyamishima said:
the-pi-guy said:

Probably not.

Reasons against:

Square is a little more than that at 0.778 trillion yen, and you'd have to put a premium on top of that. So probably more like 1 - 1.1 trillion yen. ($7.4 billion to $8 billion)

The 0.7 trillion yen will be shared amongst the divisions. And usually SIE gets less of it.

Reasons it's not impossible:

They are focusing on SIE expansions more specifically.

They made it clear when they were setting up these proposals, that the dollar amounts would be somewhat flexible. If the right opportunity came up, they would spend more if they had to.

So overall, it's not impossible but I wouldn't expect it. 

the-pi-guy said:
kazuyamishima said:

Probably not.

Reasons against:

Square is a little more than that at 0.778 trillion yen, and you'd have to put a premium on top of that. So probably more like 1 - 1.1 trillion yen. ($7.4 billion to $8 billion)

The 0.7 trillion yen will be shared amongst the divisions. And usually SIE gets less of it.

Reasons it's not impossible:

They are focusing on SIE expansions more specifically.

They made it clear when they were setting up these proposals, that the dollar amounts would be somewhat flexible. If the right opportunity came up, they would spend more if they had to.

So overall, it's not impossible but I wouldn't expect it. 

True, they have always reiterated in the past year that should they require more funds that it would be possible to allocate more. If Sony actually did want to acquire SE those funds would be made available for that.

I think they know going forward they don’t need to acquire SE or any other Japanese publisher. Not to mention that it’s not the right time to make any sizable acquisitions anyways.

Studio stake Investments are now the new norm going forward especially for SE as they have stated several times.  Just like From Software, Sony will likely invest in some of Square’s studios to ensure those games make it to their platform which is the likely reason that Octopath Traveler 2 made to PS this time around.

Around the Network

I wouldn't write a publisher acquisition for Sony off the table just yet. Between PlayStation Productions, PlayStation Plus, and PC ports, Sony has a lot of ways to leverage content libraries from midsized publishers like Square, Capcom, Ubisoft, etc. The unlikely options are massive publishers like Take Two, EA, Bandai Namco. Sony have said they are willing to allocate more funds if necessary, but the question will remain if the acquisition is worth it.

At the very least, I hope Sony isn't taking consolidation lightly, otherwise they could be in for a rude awakening by the end of this decade. All it takes is Microsoft wanting to acquire another publisher like Ubisoft and slowly choke Sony out by removing third party content from PlayStation platforms.

Last edited by PotentHerbs - on 06 March 2023

PotentHerbs said:

I wouldn't write a publisher acquisition for Sony off the table just yet. Between PlayStation Productions, PlayStation Plus, and PC ports, Sony has a lot of ways to leverage content libraries from midsized publishers like Square, Capcom, Ubisoft, etc. The unlikely options are massive publishers like Take Two, EA, Bandai Namco. Sony have said they are willing to allocate more funds if necessary, but the question will remain if the acquisition is worth it.

At the very least, I hope Sony isn't taking consolidation lightly, otherwise they could be in for a rude awakening by the end of this decade. All it takes is Microsoft wanting to acquire another publisher like Ubisoft and slowly choke Sony out by removing third party content from PlayStation platforms.

I definitely wouldn't write anything off.

But I don't feel like buying a publisher is Sony's priority. I think the biggest reason why Sony would, would be more so to prevent someone else from acquiring their partners. Especially something like Final Fantasy being acquired by Microsoft. (I think chances are good, MS will either acquire a Japanese publisher or at the very least will acquire several Japanese developers. Variety is an important aspect of their current business model.)

I think Sony has been pretty content with buying smaller developers and raising them up that way. For a tiny, tiny fraction of what some of these publishers cost, Sony has gotten some great development teams. Insomniac Games was an insanely good deal. Activision is costing 305 times what Insomniac Games cost. I think it's hard to deny the value they've gotten from buying studios full of talented people. 

But I won't be surprised if that changes. 

I doubt Sony is going for a publisher either. It makes more sense for them to acquire individual studios (maybe smaller publishers), while continuing to partner with 3rd party publishers.

But if they do, they should get SEGA and then add all of SEGA's legacy consoles to to their Classics programme. Can't deny the very potentially great value that brings.

the-pi-guy said:

I definitely wouldn't write anything off.

But I don't feel like buying a publisher is Sony's priority. I think the biggest reason why Sony would, would be more so to prevent someone else from acquiring their partners. Especially something like Final Fantasy being acquired by Microsoft. (I think chances are good, MS will either acquire a Japanese publisher or at the very least will acquire several Japanese developers. Variety is an important aspect of their current business model.)

I think Sony has been pretty content with buying smaller developers and raising them up that way. For a tiny, tiny fraction of what some of these publishers cost, Sony has gotten some great development teams. Insomniac Games was an insanely good deal. Activision is costing 305 times what Insomniac Games cost. I think it's hard to deny the value they've gotten from buying studios full of talented people. 

But I won't be surprised if that changes. 

Despite Sony's history of acquisition via organic growth, I think Bungie has indicated an overall shift in their philosophy in bolstering PlayStation Studios, where smaller teams like Haven and Savage Game Studios have followed. 

I just can't imagine Sony being content with acquisition via organic growth if/when the Activision Blizzard deal is cleared. If they are willing to lock up a publisher as a defensive measure, then its almost certain Square Enix or Capcom will be under the PlayStation label by the end of this decade. However, I think Sony will be the first one to make a major move in Japan, even if it ends up being a smaller purchase like Sega. 

I want to jump back into HFW before the release of the Burning Shores DLC.

I always planned to come back and platinum the game after clearing some of my backlog. However, between Miles Morales, Ghostwire Tokyo, The Quarry and RE4R at the end of the month, I don't think I'll be able too lol.