By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - November 2022 NPD Thread (NPD Out Now)

It is that time again. November 2022 NPD drops Friday, December 9 and covers the four week period from October 30 to November 26.

Be sure to get your predictions in before then. Since NPD leaks don't happen nearly as often as it used to and hardware revenue is something we do get, be sure to include revenue in your predictions. 

Feel free to alsopredict what you think the top software games will be for the month. 

Example prediction:

[Revenue]

1. [#1 selling console] XXX,000
  2. [#2 selling console] XXX,000
  3. [#3 selling console] XXX,000

VGChartz November 2022 US estimates BEFORE adjustments:

1. XS: 1.25M
  2. PS5: 1.14M
  3. NS: 1.05M

VGChartz November 2022 US estimates AFTER adjustments:

1. PS5: 1.14M
  2. NS: 1.09M
  3. XS: 1.08M
Year-over-year change in sales:

PS5: 0.44M -> 1.14M (+159%)
XS: 0.69M -> 1.08M (+57%)
NS: 1.10M -> 1.09M (-1%)

PS5 remains the same, NS adjusted up 3.8%, and XS adjusted down 13.6%.

NPD article link.

PS5 Best-Selling Console in the US in November, Modern Warfare II Tops Software Charts

The PlayStation 5 was the best-selling console in the US in November 2022 in terms of units sold and dollar sales, according to figures from The NPD Group. NPD includes the dates for the four week period of October 30 to November 26.

The Nintendo Switch the second best-selling console in terms of units sold and dollar sales, while the Xbox Series X|S came in third in both categories. 

The increase in PlayStation 5 sales was the primary driver in the 45 percent increase in hardware revenue compared to a year ago.

Year-to-date units sold has the Nintendo Switch as the best-selling console, while the PlayStation 5 is number one in terms of revenue.

Overall spending on video games in November were up three percent year-on-year from $6.11 billion to $6.29 billion. Spending on video game content decreased five percent from $4.98 billion to $4.74 billion, while video game hardware sales increased 45 percent from $0,87 billion to $1.25 billion.

Year-to-date sales for 2022 are down six percent from $52.19 billion to $48.97 billion. Spending on video game content in 2022 dropped seven percent from $45.24 billion to $41.93 billion, while video game hardware sales are up six percent percent from $4.74 billion to $5.04 billion. 

"U.S. consumer spending on video game content, hardware and accessories reached $6.3 billion in November 2022, an increase of 3% when compared to a year ago," said The NPD Group Executive Director and Video Game Industry Advisor Mat Piscatella.

"Performance was driven primarily by 45% growth in video game hardware dollar sales compared to November of 2021, led by PlayStation 5. Other market areas experiencing spending growth in November compared to a year ago included non-mobile subscription content, accessories, and digital premium downloads on consoles. November’s strong performance brings year-to-date spending to $49.0 billion, a 6% decline when compared to the same period in 2021."

He added, "Strong hardware performance in the month of November (45% increase vs. year ago to $1.3 billion) was due primarily to a significant increase in PlayStation 5 volume when compared to a year ago. PlayStation 5 was November’s best-selling hardware platform in both unit and dollar sales, while Nintendo Switch ranked 2nd across both measures. PlayStation 5 remains the best-selling hardware platform of 2022 in year-to-date dollar sales, while Nintendo Switch leads in units."

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II remained the best-selling game in its second month on the market and is now the best-selling game of 2022 year-to-date. 

The next three spots were taken up by new releases. God of War: Ragnarök debuted in second place, Pokémon Scarlet/Violet debuted in third place, and Sonic Frontiers debuted in fourth place. Tactics Ogre: Reborn was the one other new game in the top 20 and it debuted in 17th place. 

Madden NFL 23 dropped one spot to fifth place, FIFA 23 dropped three spots to sixth place, while NBA 2K23 is up one spot to seventh place.

Gotham Knights in its second month fell from second to eighth place. Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales shot up the charts from 39th to ninth place. Mario Party Superstars rounds out the top 10.

Here are the top 20 best-selling games in terms of dollars for November 2022:

Top 10 best-selling Nintendo games for November 2022:

Top 10 best-selling PlayStation games for November 2022:

Top 10 best-selling Xbox games for November 2022:

Here are the top 20 best-selling games in year-to-date 2022:

Last edited by trunkswd - on 09 December 2022

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

Pretty difficult to predict this NPD.

Nintendo had its biggest software launch of all time, and also had a strong Black Friday performance in the UK at least in software. The UK is relatively a weak-ish market for Nintendo.

Xbox (compared to PS5) enjoy the advantage of having more consoles sitting on shelves from previous months, which will be easily sold with those great deals that now extend to Series X, which I imagine they stockpiled a lot of units for Black Friday. Adobe claims Series X was one of the top 5 hottest items, and the one console at that, but I don't remember how accurate Adobe's reports are.

Sony had at least 3.2 million PS5's stockpiled for an unknown period, and expect to virtually match the Switch for Q4+Q1 (combined) in global shipments. But outside the Ragnarok week, PS5 so far doesn't look like it had a particularly strong November. I wonder what they're thinking. Between CoD, Ragnarok, and Black Friday, you'd think they'd be shipping a lot more than what's being implied or confirmed by multiple reports.

For now, I expect Switch to win, but any ranking is possible.

I expect that Switch wins easily and Xbox/PS5 are virtually tied, with Xbox making up the weekly losses so far with a big black Friday sale, due to the massive discount for the Series S

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

very difficult to predict. Nintendo had the release of pokemon scarlet, sony had the release of ragnarok and call of duty a few weeks before what helps sales mainly in the USA , In addition to the 3.2 million in stock. xbox had a price cut for black friday which helped boost sales. my prediction is switch number, ps5 number 2 and xbox number 3

I think it basically just boils down to whether Sony has stock or not.

If they have enough PS5s to actually ship, they win the month.

If they don't ... well then they don't.

Around the Network

At least in Europe, PS5 stock has not been great. It was well behind the Switch and Xbox Series X|S in the UK and came in 3rd in Spain with sales just behind the Xbox Series X|S for for Black Friday. Stock looked decent enough in Japan though. 

Last edited by trunkswd - on 03 December 2022

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Stock seems to be way better for the PS5 compared to last year, all 4 major retailers (GS, BB, Walmart and Target) have/had them regularly, Amazon is doing a lot of invitations requests and there are reports from a lot of people saying that when they visited retail stores, they found them on the shelves.

Plus Sony direct and others like antonline have them ready to buy pretty much everyday.

I really think Sony prioritised US way more compared to other markets this time.

Series X/S on the other hand will be interesting, especially with the $249 S cracking deal, Walmart still has it for $239.99 and target had a $50 GC on top of the deal price.

Hard to tell the Switch sales, it will be possibly down YOY (even WW), but we’ll see.

We haven’t had any statement from either company saying they sold the most in BF.

kazuyamishima said:

Stock seems to be way better for the PS5 compared to last year, all 4 major retailers (GS, BB, Walmart and Target) have/had them regularly, Amazon is doing a lot of invitations requests and there are reports from a lot of people saying that when they visited retail stores, they found them on the shelves.

Plus Sony direct and others like antonline have them ready to buy pretty much everyday.

Series X/S on the other hand will be interesting, especially with the $249 S deal, Walmart still has it for $239.99 and target had a $50 GC on top of the deal price.

Hard to tell the Switch sales, it will be possibly down YOY (even WW), but we’ll see.

We haven’t had any statement from either company saying they sold the most in BF.

It is looking like Xbox Series X|S likely won Black Friday week sales. PS5 stock was good, but was still fairly limited. Switch is looking like it is down slightly. But considering its age it has done well.  

What are VG's estimates?

This one is very difficult. I think the Switch outsold the Xbox but I have no idea where the PS5 landed. I feel like Switch sold more Black Friday week but I think that the PS5 still had a fabulous month.