By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

This deal was always less important for me in terms of which console gets what and more so towards 2 things:

1. It ensures Microsoft is in the games industry for the long haul, and
2. Ensures one of my favorite developers (Blizzard) gets badly needed new leadership

I don’t think COD will ever leave PlayStation so long as it is popular, but Blizzard operating in a first party capacity could be really interesting

Around the Network

You have to wonder if the FTC will attempt to cut a favorable deal or if they are just going to go down with the ship. Their position seems untenable now

Around the Network

I'm honestly more shocked that the CMA still has cloud concerns than I am shocked that CMA dropped their console concerns. Not only does Xbox not currently have a Cloud gaming monopoly (Xbox Cloud Gaming and GeForce Now both hit 20m lifetime users at almost exactly the same time, which is the most recent figure for both), but Xbox already signed a deal to allow not only CoD (which is the only game that regulators seen to care about) on GeForce Now, but all Xbox 1st/2nd party games that release on Steam. On top of that they signed the same 10 year Xbox/ABK games deal with 2 other Cloud gaming companies, Boosteroid (4m+ users) and Ubitus (can't find the user count for their GameNow service). Not sure what else Xbox can do here, they already offered quite alot on the Cloud gaming front.

Only remaining option I see to convince the CMA here is to sign a 10 year deal with Amazon's Luna, but that is trickier than the Cloud deals that Xbox has already signed, Luna requires a porting process much like Stadia did afaik. The other 3 all use existing game libraries to run their games afaik, GeForce Now for instance streams games you own on Steam, but Luna games are either on Luna+ (Amazon's own multigame paid sub service), Amazon's Prime Gaming free rotation games, or a 3rd party paid sub service like Ubisoft's Ubisoft+. I doubt that Amazon would allow Gamepass onto the Luna platform as a paid 3rd party sub nor would that satisfy regulators, so the only option for Xbox there would be to pay a dev team to port to Luna server hardware and then make game by game deals to get CoD and other Xbox and ABK games onto Luna+.

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 24 March 2023

ice said:

The question is, if the deal goes thru what ABK dead ip needs to be revived?

DJ HERO!!!