By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Discussion Thread ~Day #25~ The 13th Annual Greatest Games Event

#40The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
guessed byS.Peelman
platform3DS
release year2000
developer/publisherNintendo
genreaction adventure
linksWikipedia
past years2021: #32, 2020: #31, 2019: #27, 2018: #23, 2017: #18

Well, technically I played Majora's Mask 3D. I never played the original, as back then I didn't play on console. Nevertheless, this is a great game. It is very unique among the Zelda games, as it has a very different, much darker, but also much stranger atmosphere. And I like that.

The basic gameplay as you are used from Zelda. You whack monsters, solve puzzles or problems, find items and finally beat the end-boss. But this game mixes up the formula quite a bit. You only have three days, but with your Ocarina you can turn back time. The NPCs have schedules and certain events happen at the same time, so you can affect these events if you turn back time and wait for the right moment. Also you have masks which help you transform into different forms.

The story is different to most Zelda games. Link gets to Termina, a land which is in the process of getting destroyed by the falling moon. Link has three days to void that from happening. The Ocarina of time helps him turn back time to achieve that feat.

Overall this is a great experience and therefore one of the best Zelda games (which are mostly all great). The 3DS-versions has many upgrades over the original, not only graphically, so this is the version to go if you wanna experience it today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj6cXziHpjQ



3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

Working on catching up:

#39: Guessed by Bofferbrauer2: Phoenix Point

#38: Help the kingdom of Nostria.
Play either as Elisa, Aivar or Katharine.
These are the Paladin, Fighter and Magician of the game (in that order).
This game is part of an old series of tactics games, but although many games preceded it, it just has the number 2.

#37: Guessed by coolbeans: Pillars of Eternity
(it is not: Hellblade)
After a god was killed a few years ago, it happens that childs are born without a soul which are called hollowborn.
Some mages try to put animal souls in the kids. What could possibly go wrong?
The developer by now is bought by Microsoft.
Back then they had to start one of the biggest Kickstarter campaigns to finance the game in question.

#36: Guessed by S.Peelman: Resident Evil: Revelations

#35: Guessed by UnderwaterFunktown: Starcraft

#34: Play as Humans, Ancients or Ardyn (or later as Gwdir or Tomek)

ranking in the guessing game, list so far

Last edited by Mnementh - on 24 November 2022

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Darashiva said:

Might as well start with the next set of hints, stay ahead of the curve.

#35

-"What began as a conflict over the transfer of consciousness from flesh to machines, escalated into a war which has decimated a million worlds."

#34

-Heavily inspired by a series known for its relaxing nature

#33

-Betrayed by one she loves, the girl seeks vengeance, and embraces her role as the Lord of Calamity

#32

-Picking up one year after the events of the previous game, the empire has annexed another region during that time, and you find yourself heading a new class of military students

#31

-Lust for revenge rarely ends well, for anyone involved

34) Maybe Stardew Valley?

33) That's Tales of Berseria alright

32) Probably a Trails game but I'm shooting in the dark here... Trails of Cold Steel II?



Major Switch Titles Launch Aligned

2022 predictions:

  • Switch - 24m
  • PS5 - 15.5m
  • Xbox Series - 10m

Mnementh said:

#37: After a god was killed a few years ago, it happens that childs are born without a soul which are called hollowborn.
Some mages try to put animal souls in the kids. What could possibly go wrong?
The developer by now is bought by Microsoft.
Back then they had to start one of the biggest Kickstarter campaigns to finance the game in question.

I haven't played it but maybe Hellblade?



Major Switch Titles Launch Aligned

2022 predictions:

  • Switch - 24m
  • PS5 - 15.5m
  • Xbox Series - 10m

UnderwaterFunktown said:
Darashiva said:

Might as well start with the next set of hints, stay ahead of the curve.

#35

-"What began as a conflict over the transfer of consciousness from flesh to machines, escalated into a war which has decimated a million worlds."

#34

-Heavily inspired by a series known for its relaxing nature

#33

-Betrayed by one she loves, the girl seeks vengeance, and embraces her role as the Lord of Calamity

#32

-Picking up one year after the events of the previous game, the empire has annexed another region during that time, and you find yourself heading a new class of military students

#31

-Lust for revenge rarely ends well, for anyone involved

34) Maybe Stardew Valley?

33) That's Tales of Berseria alright

32) Probably a Trails game but I'm shooting in the dark here... Trails of Cold Steel II?

Correct on 34 and 33, right series but wrong game with 32.



Around the Network
UnderwaterFunktown said:
Mnementh said:

#37: After a god was killed a few years ago, it happens that childs are born without a soul which are called hollowborn.
Some mages try to put animal souls in the kids. What could possibly go wrong?
The developer by now is bought by Microsoft.
Back then they had to start one of the biggest Kickstarter campaigns to finance the game in question.

I haven't played it but maybe Hellblade?

Nope.



3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
#40 The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
guessed by S.Peelman
platform 3DS
release year 2000
developer/publisher Nintendo
genre action adventure
links Wikipedia
past years 2021: #32, 2020: #31, 2019: #27, 2018: #23, 2017: #18

This is a great game, but if you've only played the 3DS version I'd recommend playing the original version of this one of these days as well because I feel in this case the remake is worse. I mean it looks great and there's some quality of life improvements, but for the remake they did weird things with the bosses and while the saving might be more convenient, the original way felt like it was more part of the mechanics of the game which makes you think about how and when to do it and feels more immersive. But that last part might be controversial.



Mnementh said:

Working on catching up:

#39: Guessed by Bofferbrauer2: Phoenix Point

#38: Help the kingdom of Nostria.
Play either as Elisa, Aivar or Katharine.
These are the Paladin, Fighter and Magician of the game (in that order).
This game is part of an old series of tactics games, but although many games preceded it, it just has the number 2.

#37: (it is not: Hellblade)
After a god was killed a few years ago, it happens that childs are born without a soul which are called hollowborn.
Some mages try to put animal souls in the kids. What could possibly go wrong?
The developer by now is bought by Microsoft.
Back then they had to start one of the biggest Kickstarter campaigns to finance the game in question.

#36: Guessed by S.Peelman: Resident Evil: Revelations

#35: Guessed by UnderwaterFunktown: Starcraft

#34: Play as Humans, Ancients or Ardyn (or later as Gwdir or Tomek)

ranking in the guessing game, list so far

37 - Pillars of Eternity



coolbeans said:
Mnementh said:

Working on catching up:

#39: Guessed by Bofferbrauer2: Phoenix Point

#38: Help the kingdom of Nostria.
Play either as Elisa, Aivar or Katharine.
These are the Paladin, Fighter and Magician of the game (in that order).
This game is part of an old series of tactics games, but although many games preceded it, it just has the number 2.

#37: (it is not: Hellblade)
After a god was killed a few years ago, it happens that childs are born without a soul which are called hollowborn.
Some mages try to put animal souls in the kids. What could possibly go wrong?
The developer by now is bought by Microsoft.
Back then they had to start one of the biggest Kickstarter campaigns to finance the game in question.

#36: Guessed by S.Peelman: Resident Evil: Revelations

#35: Guessed by UnderwaterFunktown: Starcraft

#34: Play as Humans, Ancients or Ardyn (or later as Gwdir or Tomek)

ranking in the guessing game, list so far

37 - Pillars of Eternity

Correct again!



3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Darashiva said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

34) Maybe Stardew Valley?

33) That's Tales of Berseria alright

32) Probably a Trails game but I'm shooting in the dark here... Trails of Cold Steel II?

Correct on 34 and 33, right series but wrong game with 32.

Might as well guess Trails of Cold Steel III then



Major Switch Titles Launch Aligned

2022 predictions:

  • Switch - 24m
  • PS5 - 15.5m
  • Xbox Series - 10m