By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Discussion Thread – The 13th Annual Greatest Games Event

YoY: -6      My Rating: 9.1/10

There was a time once when real-time strategy was perhaps my favourite genre of video games, with series like Command & Conquer, KKND, Age of Empires, Starcraft, Warcraft, Total Annihilation, and many others occupying much of my gaming time. Out of all of them, the two that always stood out were Command & Conquer and Total Annihilation. They were the ones I spent by far the most time playing, and the ones that I still go back to play most often. In some aspects, Total Annihilation does show its age, the graphics are naturally dated by today's standards considering it was released 25 years ago and the AI can be quite stupid at times, but unlike so many other games of the era, I can still go back and play it without issue and have a fun time.

In terms of gameplay, Total Annihilation feels decidedly old-school today, but that's a large part of why I like it so much. There's complexity to it, but not too much to the point playing becomes exhausting. The music by Jeremy Soule is also excellent, creating just the kind of epic atmosphere perfectly suited for galactic warfare. 

Around the Network

Let's include another game:

#35: Guessed by UnderwaterFunktown: Starcraft

#34: Play as Humans, Ancients or Ardyn (or later as Gwdir or Tomek)
Catch Cats, Lopen, Rabbits, Snoots, Squeaken or Chicken.
Build your colony, so it survives bandits, wild beasts and the winter.
Will you build your colony deep into mines or high in multistory buildings, or just flat at the surfacce?

#33: The Errant Errand

ranking in the guessing game, list so far

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Resuming my ongoing commentaries on my top 10 favorite video games of all the times.

Other entries in this series:

10. Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams
9. Perfect Tides
8. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
7. Chop Suey
6. Knights and Bikes
5. Super Metroid
3. Butterfly Soup
2. The Last of Us Part I
1. The Last of Us Part II

4. GONE HOME

From people who helped give you BioShock 2 comes a game where you explore a big gay house with no guns, no enemies, no dialogue choices, no other characters to interact with whatsoever in fact, no puzzles, no platforming, no collectibles (to speak of), and no stakes that, with one simple clue, can be beaten in under two minutes! SJWs, amirite?

Yes, I have indeed heard the many, many criticisms of this game before. And yes it is also true: I am gay. And also also yes, my appreciation of Gone Home is closely related to that fact. Why? 'Cause frankly, I'd classify Gone Home as the first narratively lesbian-centric video game that was ever made in good faith. Good faith as in without reducing sapphic love to a fetish!

Set on a dark and stormy night in June of 1995, Gone Home is played from the (first-person) perspective of one Katie Greenbriar who, on returning from overseas to her family's new home in fictional Boon County, Oregon, discovers an unnerving note on the door revealing her younger sister, Samantha (or "Sam" for short) to be missing. Taking over control of Katie, the player walks into a curiously empty house to search her out. While the mystery of Sam's whereabouts hangs over the entire exploration that follows, it soon becomes evident that you are in no danger and can and should relax and take your time uncovering the backgrounds, personalities, and significant events in the lives of the Greenbriars that have led up to this point; a feat you'll accomplish by carefully examining the decor and objects of its rooms and hallways (nearly all of which are clickable) for bits and pieces of insight.

While the aforementioned implied player mission exists as motivation, the game has no defined goals. It's about discovery for its own sake. I like that about it! I've mentioned elsewhere on this list...commentary collection...thing...that I really like these mundane slice-of-life adventures because they are quite rare and often especially relatable. Gone Home, in this connection and others, reminds me in certain defining ways of the Theresa Duncan games (Chop Suey, Smarty, and Zero Zero) I used to love back in the 1990s, as well as, in a way, the Nancy Drew mysteries I used to enjoy playing around the turn of the century. It's sort of like if those concepts were fused into one game and polished into 3D with some of the strongest voice acting in this entire medium and most treasured music from my youth.

Speaking of, I was very much into the riot grrl underground (yes, that's a proper spelling) and a participant in the movement back in the day. Gone Home's fairly deep dive into that oft-forgotten world within the contemporaneous punk scene stands out as something that only this game has ever included before. The developers' depth of understanding of, and respect for, early '90s teen lesbian/feminist culture didn't just surprise me when first I experienced it, it completely overwhelmed me with emotion. To put matters in perspective for you, Gone Home was originally released the same month that Grand Theft Auto V was and the latter really did contemporaneously sum up where the relationship between video games and women was at the time just in general. I felt hated, straight up. There's no nice way of putting it. And then here was this proverbial torrential downpour of acknowledgement and validation in the midst of that climate. I will never ever forget how special it felt to get to experience that, especially in the view of its core message that home is not a space defined by your residence, but wherever you find love and acceptance. More than any other one title, Gone Home is the one that made an indie gamer out of me and set me down my current path of mind toward this medium.

Gone Home is about more than '90s teen lesbian/feminist culture though. One of Gone Home's most compelling mysteries...

Spoiler!

...revolves around the "haunting" of Katie and Sam's father Terry by his history of being sexually abused as a child in this very setting and all the attendant consequences that this has for his relationship to both his wife Janice and, seemingly, his attitude toward same-sex intimacy itself, as applied to Sam and her life and love. The story of his redemption is so deeply human and uplifting that the premise of his final book still gets me all misty-eyed to this day even though I've played through the game countless times at this point. And yet there's a deliberate irony to the game's conclusion in that his redemption has come too late to save another important relationship; the nuances of life represented honestly, to a bittersweet end. It's too bad that not everyone uncovers the whole of this side story because it adds a welcome layer of gravitas to the experience.

If you want to catch the hidden details of Terry's backstory, here are a couple hints:

1) When you're looking around Terry's haunts, try removing what only looks like the bottom of desk drawers.

2) There's a locked safe in the basement. It's important. If you want to open it, look at the scrap of paper found on the floor after opening the secret door into the guest room reserved for Katie.

3) For further info, pay close attention to the details of the general vicinity of the safe. It's located near some height measurements and a room that can't be lit. Think about what those things are telling you.

Those are the things people miss the most often.

While it would be easy to build a case that there are stronger stories about sapphic love in this medium today, the compassionate and well-rounded honesty of Gone Home's portrayal of where that stood in the context of 1995 and the way it imbues progressively greater meaning onto writings and objects noticed early on as you progress and unearth more revelations about the lives of the Greenbriars still stands the test of time incredibly well for me. There's a reason why you can see, and feel, nods to it in much bigger games that came out afterward ranging from Life is Strange to Uncharted 4. There are precious few gaming experiences truly like Gone Home, and fewer still that have felt as personalized and loving to me.

Fun aside #1 players may not readily pick up on: Gone Home and BioShock actually share the same universe. I just think that's awesome.

Fun aside #2: Speaking of one of the clues about that, I want all of the fictional Super NES games in Gone Home to be made into full, actual products because they all look like they've got amazing premises the world cannot go on being without.

Fun fact #3: This is actually the second game on my top 10 list that includes at least one reference to the punk rock band X-Ray Spex. The first to do so was Chop Suey.

Fun aside #4: There's a secret diary entry by Mitten the kitten in this game that's meowch appreciated.

Okay, I'll stop now. What I'm trying to say is that Gone Home was an emotional experience for me the first time I played it and has evolved into a source of comfort and safety for me since. It's become my principal go-to comfort game when I'm feeling especially down. It's home.

Last edited by Jaicee - on 05 June 2023

So 36 and 35 have already been guessed previously, which means all new hints for all new games.

34 - Though not every faction will be affected as harshly, when the hordes from the steppe arrive, you better be prepared.

33 - Three influential families and the central government, allies at first, until one seeks to rule them all.

32 - There's a strange bug in the steering in this game where if you make a couple quick, short turns in succession you'll be stuck with a long, big and wide turn that'll send you all across the stadium.

Hello, dont have much time to go through my list of games I have beaten this year to create a list of variety of games (I typically dont include multiple games in the same series except for a few).

This year's list is based upon my top top scored games in my list of games I have beaten so there's a little bias toward favoring Nintendo lol.

Maybe next year I'll have more free time to create a better list.

A lot of games I had in the past events arent on this list anymore (Breath of Fire II, Trials of Mana, Final Fantasy VII, etc) - so here's hoping it'll be better next year.

Anyways, here's my list in the other thread.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9415893

Around the Network

(NEW)

These little choose-your-own adventure games r always easy wins for me lol but this one especially I just think is rly well done. The slasher spoofing is rly fun as its also one of my favorite movie genres and the idea of everyone or no one living is such a great way to add stakes to these games and I wish more of them would do. A surprisingly fun, if pretty dumb (altho it kinda adds to the charm), story with some cool twists, and a great cast of characters. Excited to playthrough their new entry The Quarry with some friends later next month

Back in time to help you out with yesterday's game which wasn't guessed, and tomorrow's.

#35 StarCraft/Brood War
guessed by UnderwaterFunktown
platform Windows
release year 1998
developer/publisher Blizzard Entertainment
genre real time strategy
links Wikipedia
download for free
past years 2021: #33, 2020: #28, 2019: #25, 2018: #25, 2017: #25

Starcraft is a historic game. It mixed the formula for real time strategy in a way, which was wildly successful. It was also the game, that spawned e-Sport leagues starting in Korea. It was a mainstay in LAN-parties for more than a decade. The included map editor created a lively online community sharing new creations. Blizzard supported that by releasing the Map of the Month for a long time. Among the user creations were maps that started the Tower Defense genre. Blizzard introduced the expansion Brood War, which added a lot of content and kept the game alive for even longer. I think it is fair to say, that the gaming world today would look different without StarCraft. Although far from being the first RTS, Starcraft kinda became the blueprint for this genre going forward in many regards.

This game was a lot of fun to play. At college a group of friends often met to play StarCraft matches locally in the LAN. And without them I played the single player campaign. Which was doubled by Brood War.

The game has a sci-fi setting with three warring civilizations, humans and the alien races of Zerg and Protoss. Each faction has their own research tree, own units and specialties. Again, reasearch and unit types were extended by the excellent Brood War expansion.

I did like the personalities of the characters that were created for the game and the story of fight for freedom and betrayal (in the human campaign). Raynor kinda felt like my reliable companion and rooted for him and Kerrigan. The campaigns for the alien races were - more alien, it was harder to connect to the characters introduced. Still it all formed a picture of a galaxy in conflict.

If you want to play it today, you can download the original game (well, with a lot of patches that came over the years) for free from Blizzard, or you can purchase the remastered version. Either way, it is a great classic game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-00uQzXyujI

Last edited by Mnementh - on 27 November 2022

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Let's include another game:

#34: Play as Humans, Ancients or Ardyn (or later as Gwdir or Tomek)
Catch Cats, Lopen, Rabbits, Snoots, Squeaken or Chicken.
Build your colony, so it survives bandits, wild beasts and the winter.
Will you build your colony deep into mines or high in multistory buildings, or just flat at the surface?
This realm is kinda odd, with the voidlands.

#33: The Errant Errand
Fight for Your Time Slot!

#32: Muhahaha! You think you outsmarted me, the mighty Moldorc?! I don't think so Yoked Girth!

ranking in the guessing game, list so far

Mnementh said:

The included map editor created a lively online community sharing new creations. Blizzard supported that by releasing the Map of the Month for a long time. Among the user creations were maps that started the Tower Defense genre.

And of course the map that would go on to become Dota in WarCraft III, which directly led to League of Legends, Dota 2, and a dozen other similar titles.

I loved playing UMS online in Brood War. Tower defence was a staple for me, as well as Bounds (where you all control a single Zergling attempting to reach the end of a deadly maze), Starship Troopers, Lord of the Rings, Cat & Mouse, Volcano Run, Impossible Scenarios, and so many more I've forgotten about!