By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Discussion Thread – The 13th Annual Greatest Games Event

coolbeans said:
SanAndreasX said:

Next batch of games:

35. Middle game of a saga staring a heroine with the bush from hell.

34. Billionaire decides to rob a jewelry store and kidnap a baby for no apparent reason.

33. Attend a military academy as part of a class of miscreants and outcasts at the outbreak of a magitek global war.

32. Match your level-building skills against Miyamoto and Tezuka.

33 - Valkyria Chronicles

32 - Super Mario Maker (1 or 2?)

33 - not quite, but excellent guess. Think a more traditionally-designed RPG

32 - It's Super Mario Maker 2.

Around the Network
super_etecoon said:

I've updated to number 35, but to be honest I'm not really sure what number we're supposed to have posted to to date. I try to do it every day, but if I'm not in the office it doesn't get done. I know I could just post all of the titles at once, but I really like the idea of revealing the list slowly.

I admit I haven't been the best at updating the thread title, which is why I brought back the table on the OP. The title is correct now, though, it'll be #36 in a few hours (I mean, it's different for everyone anyway because timezones).

#38King's Bounty II
guessed byno one
platformSwitch
release year2021
developer/publisher1C Entertainment
genretactical role playing
linksWikipedia, MobyGames
past years2021: #42

I never played any King's Bounty game before, but as this one released I thought I might give it a try. And I think it was worth it. King's Bounty II is a game with a lot of classic (as this is an old series not surprising probably) turn-based tactics that I love. It mixes it with real-time gameplay for exploring the Kingdom of Nostria and talking to the many NPCs. But it switches to overview and turn-based once you enter combat, which means your prepared loadout of troops enters the field and fights as you command.

This game has a pretty good quest design, with missions that feel like more than just kill this, get that. Besides that they often involve some moral decision, which are often aligned with the four main ideals the game presents: anarchy, order, power or finesse. You get points in these ideals based on your decisions, which allows you to learn skills in these ideals. The troops are also aligned to the ideals, thieves may be anarchy, while mages are finesse for example. Deciding which army to expand and which skill of which ideal to learn can heavily influence how battles may unfold.

The lands of Nostria also feel like places with history and real people. The capital has different factions deeply engaged in secrets and schemes, the people aroundd the kingdom are simply trying to get their best live. But it isn't easy, as the country finds itself in trouble, refugees, bandits and magical problems lead to conflicts that leads to people distrusting each other. Your hero is in the middle of all this mess and as a result you start the game in prison as you were unlucky enough to show up at the wrong time, as the king is afflicted. But as the problems grow the prince decides to set you free and work as his agent to have the chance to free yourself of suspicion. And so you go.

The battle system feels very similar to Heroes of Might and Magic, probably because the original King's Bounty game initially was the blueprint for the later Heroes of Might and Magic. In both games you command your troops in turn-based battles around the battle field which is organized in hexes and your hero can additionaly cast spells to influence the battle. The battlefields are small enough that you usually can engage in close-quarters combat in round one. The tactical placement of troops can be very decisive to the outcome, planning your turn is key and as you can see the order in which troops act you can plan ahead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8tr_0tLvps&ab_channel=IGN

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

King's Bounty II on #38 wasn't guessed by anyone, but I can give another hint for #34:

#37: Guessed by coolbeans: Pillars of Eternity

#36: Guessed by S.Peelman: Resident Evil: Revelations

#35: Guessed by UnderwaterFunktown: Starcraft

#34: Play as Humans, Ancients or Ardyn (or later as Gwdir or Tomek)
Catch Cats, Lopen, Rabbits, Snoots, Squeaken or Chicken.
Build your colony, so it survives bandits, wild beasts and the winter.

ranking in the guessing game, list so far

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Third time's the charm so lets add one more hint to these two.

38) As below, so above
Hint 2: For the first time in this series the protagonist isn't silent
Hint 3: From Jack, to Johnny, to Booker

36) Most characters from the original game return in this sequel, though you only meet a few of them before the post game
Hint 2: One of these characters, the one you interact with the most of the returning ones, is the "final boss", though he didn't have that role in the first one
Hint 3: He's a dragon tamer who looks very dramatic and wears a cape.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Around the Network

Another hint.

-"What began as a conflict over the transfer of consciousness from flesh to machines, escalated into a war which has decimated a million worlds."

-"The Core and the Arm have all but exhausted the resources of a galaxy in their struggle for domination."

-An RTS that received one sequel, which changed the setting from scifi to fantasy.

-Heavily inspired by a series known for its relaxing nature (Stardew Valley)

-Betrayed by one she loves, the girl seeks vengeance, and embraces her role as the Lord of Calamity (Tales of Berseria)

-Picking up one year after the events of the previous game, the empire has annexed another region during that time, and you find yourself heading a new class of military students (The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III)

-Lust for revenge rarely ends well, for anyone involved

-You get to witness both sides of the story, though some people weren't happy they were "forced" to play the other side (The Last of Us Part II)

UnderwaterFunktown said:

38) As below, so above

36) Most characters from the original game return in this sequel, though you only meet a few of them before the post game
Hint 2: One of these characters, the one you interact with the most of the returning ones, is the "final boss", though he didn't have that role in the first one

38 - the worst BioShock

Darashiva said:

Another hint.

-"What began as a conflict over the transfer of consciousness from flesh to machines, escalated into a war which has decimated a million worlds."

-"The Core and the Arm have all but exhausted the resources of a galaxy in their struggle for domination."

-An RTS that received one sequel, which changed the setting from scifi to fantasy.

-Heavily inspired by a series known for its relaxing nature (Stardew Valley)

-Betrayed by one she loves, the girl seeks vengeance, and embraces her role as the Lord of Calamity (Tales of Berseria)

-Picking up one year after the events of the previous game, the empire has annexed another region during that time, and you find yourself heading a new class of military students (The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III)

-Lust for revenge rarely ends well, for anyone involved

-You get to witness both sides of the story, though some people weren't happy they were "forced" to play the other side (The Last of Us Part II)

35 - Total Annihilation

#37Pillars of Eternity
guessed bycoolbeans
platformLinux/Switch
release year2015
developer/publisherObsidian Entertainment/Paradox Interactive
genreRPG
linksWikipedia
past years2021: #31, 2020: #21, 2019: #17, 2018: #7, 2017: #14

Pillars of Eternity is a throwback to the old Infinity games, including Baldur's Gate, but with newer technology. This was pitched for crowdfunding and became one of the most successful crowdfunding campaigns for gaming. That is how much people loved the idea to get a new Infinity game. It probably helped, that Obsidian was founded by people who formerly worked at Black Isle.

Same as in the old Infinity games, you move your party through gorgeous environments and interact in many ways with the environment and characters. The game is an RPG, with pause-based gameplay. Which means the fight is going on and you can give commands, but you can pause if you want to give more detailed commands. Back then Baldur's Gate had a D&D-license, but for Pillars of Eternity Obsidian developed their own gaming system.

The story features a world of Eora in turmoil. Some years ago an event called the Saints War saw a person claiming to be the god Eothas lead a war, but he was eventually killed leaving worshippers of Eothas in doubt. Many children are born without a soul, these are called Hollowborne and the epedemic of these happening is causing fear. Some magicians called animancers experiment with transferring souls, often resulting in the creation of monsters. You play the watcher, a person who can sense souls.

The game was so successful, Obsidian made a successor, Pillars of Eternity 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAw4v6JbCBI

Machina said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

38) As below, so above

38 - the worst BioShock

That's a weird way to spell best BioShock, but yes it's BioShock Infinite!

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

- More forgiving than its predecessor when you’re trying to collect those precious jewels.
- Bouncing on your buddy’s head will net you some extra lives.

#38 (incorrect guesses - Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night)
- A game that was retconned by the man who was heavily involved in introducing the gameplay model it uses... so much so that many of the games in this series with this style are commonly referred to using a portmanteau that has part of his name, and part of the series the games are from.
- In addition to the standard game, there are four different modes that can be unlocked, each of which will change the way you approach the game.

- Not sure what’s done for his sins, but you have to shoot this icon who helped to spearhead the genre to complete the game.

- Do you want to go hiking or mountain climbing?

- If you rest in a certain place on that train ride long enough, you will get a nasty surprise.

My list so far