By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Discussion Thread – The 13th Annual Greatest Games Event

UnderwaterFunktown said:
mZuzek said:

Then I'm coming in with the steal and saying A Link Between Worlds?

S.Peelman said:

A Link Between Worlds.

EDIT: Awww.

That's cute, but you're both wrong. Which means you both have another shot at getting it!

Around the Network

(NEW)

And we’re finally back with yes this little mini Spider-Man adventure I actually prefer over the original a little. The combat is more refined, and the story is more tightly packed and concise which I prefer, cutting some of the useless side character missions. It doesnt hit the highs of the original but as a whole I think its a bit better. Cant wait for the sequel.

mZuzek said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

Then I'm coming in with the steal and saying A Link Between Worlds?

S.Peelman said:

A Link Between Worlds.

EDIT: Awww.

That's cute, but you're both wrong. Which means you both have another shot at getting it!

Well I'm a bit stumped... Eh... The Wind Waker?

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

UnderwaterFunktown said:

Well I'm a bit stumped... Eh... The Wind Waker?

(-19)

Yeaaa unfortunately the replay did expose a lot of faults to this game, making it one of my biggest fallers & the only one to fall significantly outside of the top 10 from within it. This game has definitely aged and moments of the gameplay clearly haven't withstood the test of time as well as some other games. That being said this is still obviously a great game and one of the best in the franchise. The set pieces are goddamn incredible, especially the opening, making this one of the most memorable games on this list despite its fault

Around the Network

(+2)

My favorite Sonic game and one of the most fun platformers I've played period. I've always really enjoyed the sonic characters and moments from each game but they always felt like they were missing something or had some fatal flaw. Generations is the most fine-tuned in the series that I've played and creates a blast montage of all the best levels in the series

#29 Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth
guessed by UnderwaterFunktown
platform 3DS
release year 2014
developer/publisher Atlus
genre RPG
links Wikipedia
past years 2021: #22, 2020: #15, 2019: #15, 2018: #15, 2017: #11

Did you ever ask yourself what would happen, if you mix the characters of Persona with the gameplay of Etrian Odyssey? Well, we know what happened, it is called Persona Q.

Mixing the labyrinth exploration of Etrian Odyssey, with all the little secrets, events, traps and so on with the style of Persona was an incredible idea. This works as a great dungeon crawling RPG. And with the level design magic of Atlus, this is a winner.

You start off from a cursed high school which gives way to a dangerous labyrinth with strange monsters. But with your party of chibified highschoolers from Persona 3 and Persona 4 you face these dangers. This is in the end another great game in 3DS excellent library.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGAlPPscgBY

Last edited by Mnementh - on 06 December 2022

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Unguessed

This is the game that taught me how to play video games. SimTower taught me how to plan, how certain things work together, how to manage, it taught me aesthetics (even if there's not much you can do to customise how your building will look) and it taught me that I should save my games. Oh yes it certainly taught me that. See kids, back in ye olden days there was no such thing as 'autosave', so if you weren't keeping up with your save game you could find yourself losing progress. A whole day, wasted. Luckily I learned about this quickly enough. And should I ever dust off that old Performa Mac that's still in the attic somewhere (I say "somewhere", but I'm nerdy enough to know exactly where it is), there should still be a folder with a bunch of towers on there, now almost three decades old. Wow.

Guessed by Darashiva

Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness wasn't just beyond the Dark Portal, it was also beyond epic. The game itself, looked colourful and detailed, with awesome, lively looking units and buildings, had great sound effects with a lot of humour and was topped off with exciting cutscenes that looked fantastically real. What was even more epic however, was the strategy guide I had. It detailed everything about the game. It had pictures of every building and every unit and all their stats, and it had artwork here and there. It was too bad it was black and white, but the stars of the book however were the big prints of an entire level, like a full-size screenshot without the fog of war. I think I spent more time looking at those maps than actually playing the game.

Guessed by Darashiva

At some point in life, I figured I'd brush up on playing some all-time, time-tested and generally accepted classics. You know, the big stuff. I actually didn't get very far in that endeavour, but I did get through Mega Man 2, on my actual NES, and needless to say it was great. This game came when developers, the good ones anyway, had reached the pinnacle of NES gameplay design. Everything works like a charm. The game's extremely memorable, from its look to its bosses and it weapons, but most of all its stellar soundtrack. Could be one of the better ones in all of gaming. I mean, if I say "Tuh-tuhtuhtuhduhduhduh Tuhduhduhduh Tehduhdeh".. You know what that sounds like right?

Guessed by UnderwaterFunktown

When the world of gaming was all blocky, suddenly came the SEGA Dreamcast, with SoulCalibur as one of its launch titles. This game was wildly impressive, and it got my family to invest in the console. Two even, one downstairs, and one upstairs. Though I have to admit we only had the one upstairs because otherwise we'd have to walk all the way to the living room to test one of the games we downloaded. Hey, this was legal at the time. Like with PlayStation, we had stacks upon stacks. But anyway, SoulCalibur wasn't one of those, since this was the game that would keep us from ever getting a PlayStation 2, while the rest of the world apparently did, it deserved to be bought genuinely. At this point in life, we had a couple of family friends that came over fairly regularly. We always played a bunch of games against each other. Games like South Park: Chef's Luv Shack, that was fun, but we'd always return to SoulCalibur for the main event, just so one of us could pick Siegfried and spam the vertical slash move. That was less fun.

Unguessed

It is difficult to pick either Call of Duty or its successor, because they're both first person shooters that really impressed me. While I'm already interested in the game's historical setting, it was also the intense action and the engaging set-pieces as well as the immersive script and its actors. Even if they are just digital people. The final mission of the single player mode, the Battle for Berlin, which ends with raising the flag on top of the Reichstag while being under heavy fire really feels like a personal victory. The game also had a great multiplayer mode, and it is one of the few games I would play online for a time. This game was just you and a gun, and a couple of grenades, against other players. No 'perks', no upgrades or experience points and calling down missile barrages and running along walls, none of the pointless stuff that doesn't matter at all. It's just no-nonsense fun.

Guessed by drbunnig

Another great first person shooter is The Operative: No One Lives Forever, a unique story driven game. When concerning shooters, I like the more unique ones, and I usually don't care for the bland military or multiplayer-centric shooters beside the first two Call of Duties (#27) and this game certainly is that. It's presented as a cheesy 60s spy movie, Sean Connery Bond in overdrive, with ridiculous villains, lairs and gadgets and equally fitting flashy art design. I've always wanted to come back to this game, to replay it after all these years, but I'll never get around to it. This is one of those games that could use a second term in the spotlight. There should be a remaster at least, so if there's any dev here that reads this...

Guessed by @S.Peelman

I'm a bit sad about dropping this game so far down the list in the past couple years, but I'm coming to terms with the truth that the position it used to hold, near the top 10, was never really right.

I think there are reasons why it used to be so high on these lists, namely all the holes it filled for me. I loved space shooters growing up, but could never really get my hands on one for long, and they usually weren't that good to begin with - this was amazingly good, and I could play it for as long as I wanted to. I loved sci-fi fantasy, but always wanted something space that was more fun and less serious, in comes Star Fox with its wacky characters and cheesy one-liners. And it came at a time in my life when I started allowing myself to get invested in fictional characters and appreciate the feelings they can bring to us. Meaning the time of my life when I stopped caring about whether something was 'childish' or not. That, and I just wanted something to spend all the time in the world with on my 3DS.

It's been a while since then, and many things have since come that can fill those holes. And it makes me realize, maybe Star Fox 64 just isn't what it used to be, for me at least. But it is still absolutely a great game, and I've many happy memories of my time with it.

Top 50 >>

Guessed by @UnderwaterFunktown

As I said earlier in the Twilight Princess post, all 3D Zeldas have been recontextualized for me this year, and pretty much all of them in good ways. Which maybe sounds weird to say given that Wind Waker here has actually gone a spot down the list, but hey, even staying in place can be pretty hard sometimes.

This is a game I burned myself out on, playing it and replaying it over and over and over when it was the only game I owned on the Wii U (money issue). Over several playthroughs, the flaws of it became more and more apparent, the worst of them in my opinion being the lacklustre dungeons and bosses - both of which make up the "golden path" as they say, meaning they were unavoidable each time I went through the game. So, watching someone play through Wind Waker for the first time was magical, because it put in perspective just how smaller those flaws are when you only have to go through them once, and how much else the game has that is great. But I don't want this post getting too long, so let's just say, it's plenty.

Top 50 >>