By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Discussion Thread – The 13th Annual Greatest Games Event

YoY: -1     My Rating: 9.1/10

For many the de facto best game of all time, Breath of the Wild was in many ways something of a revelation upon release back in 2017. Very few games before or since have created such an impeccable feeling of freedom and sense of discovery than this game did, and it did so by essentially returning to the series roots, albeit with modern design sensibilities and decades of accumulated knowledge sanding off the rough edges to make the experience even better.

Whether it's the inspired gameplay design, wonderful setting and world, the sheer volume of things to do and secrets to find, or as I mentioned before, the freedom the player is afforded to decide how to play the game, Breath of the Wild is simply a wonderful experience. It's not perfect, the stamina meter is far too small early on, the weapon durability system is still a misfire as far as I'm concerned, the music is quite forgettable, though admittedly the ambient style fits the game perfectly, and Link remains a blank slate of a character with nary a distinguishing trait, but each of those issues and a few others are ultimately minor problems in the face of everything the game does right.

Around the Network
UnderwaterFunktown said:

Time for a new batch of hints:

40) Perhaps one of the most famous cases of a "bug" becoming a feature

39) This highly acclaimed title was caught in some controversy this year

38) As below, so above

37) The revival of revivals

36) Most characters from the original game return in this sequel, though you only meet a few of them before the post game

36) Chrono Cross?

Signature goes here!

Veknoid_Outcast said:

More hints!

#44 - The fourth iteration of a landmark fighter, this game enjoyed home ports with additional modes.

#43 - Because of this game, I always walk into the waterfall.

Before I reveal these, @S.Peelman do you want to give these two a try?

For #44, you actually guessed this same game for another member

For #43, this is the birth of a legend we both follow religiously to this day

Veknoid_Outcast said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

More hints!

#44 - The fourth iteration of a landmark fighter, this game enjoyed home ports with additional modes.

#43 - Because of this game, I always walk into the waterfall.

#43: A Link to the Past?

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

A Link to the Past is definitely on my list, but won't appear for another 30-ish days. An old man offers cryptic advice and a sword in this premiere.

Around the Network
Veknoid_Outcast said:
TruckOSaurus said:

A Link to the Past is definitely on my list, but won't appear for another 30-ish days. An old man offers cryptic advice and a sword in this premiere.

Heh. Well 43 is the original Legend of Zelda. It's funny because earlier I thought this would be a Zelda game, but forgot to really think it through lol. And 44, well I guessed Street Fighter II The New Challengers a couple pages ago, and that's the fourth Street Fighter II game, so that one?

S.Peelman said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

Heh. Well 43 is the original Legend of Zelda. It's funny because earlier I thought this would be a Zelda game, but forgot to really think it through lol. And 44, well I guessed Street Fighter II The New Challengers a couple pages ago, and that's the fourth Street Fighter II game, so that one?

Both correct!

TruckOSaurus said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

Time for a new batch of hints:

40) Perhaps one of the most famous cases of a "bug" becoming a feature

39) This highly acclaimed title was caught in some controversy this year

38) As below, so above

37) The revival of revivals

36) Most characters from the original game return in this sequel, though you only meet a few of them before the post game

36) Chrono Cross?

Nope, but it released around the same time

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Veknoid_Outcast said:
TruckOSaurus said:

It's been so long since I've played the original that I didn't remember you could go behind a waterfall in that one too.

Signature goes here!

Looks like it's going forward now.

41: A 4X game that plays in space and in real-time.

1. Hint: You start off the game with a capital ship and 3 planets, one of which is very badly damaged from an attack prior of your command. With each rank increase of your main character, the quadrant of planets that you can control increases, as well what ships you can command.
  2. Hint: While the world map only slowly zooms out for you, all the other empires play independently from you during that time, meaning that sometimes, some are already defeated and conquered before you even get to their area on the map.

39: A PC exclusive Pinball game from Sierra

1. Hint: It comes with a horror theme and 3 tables

38: One of the last games from Sega for the Dreamcast, released just days before the console got discontinued

1. It never officially released outside of Japan, and despite the entire game being in Japanese, you can still guess what most mean and play the game without knowing the language.

37: An indie PC game, still in early access, that considers itself "a fantasy city-state simulator"

36: You'll need mana and rage to get through this game

Scoreboard:

UnderwaterFunktown3#48, #40, #42
S.Peelman2#49, #44
Mnementh2#50, #47
coolbeans1#46
Darashiva1#43
SanAndreasX1#45

Top 50 Games list:

RankNamePlatformFound by:
50One Must Fall 2097PCMnementh
49Warcraft 2: Tides of DarknessPCS.Peelman