By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Change title Only Western Developers are willing to Sell to either big 3, While Majority of Japanese don't care to sell to big 3

kazuyamishima said:

Am I the only one thinking they will get Square Enix in the short run?

I feel like a good amount of people believe that will happen eventually. 

Around the Network
zero129 said:
DonFerrari said:

There is also derailing thread rule or was that revised?

Who follows the rules anymore?. Clearly now we can say what we want as you can see so yep .

I want Ms to buy everyone wbu?.

I do try my best to follow the rules.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

CaptainExplosion said:
SegaHeart said:

This, Also There's gotta be someway Nintendo to get Platinum. they are perfect.

Well, other than what happened with Star Fox Zero.

That one was in big part on Miyamoto.

CaptainExplosion said:
Kakadu18 said:

That one was in big part on Miyamoto.

The he shouldn't be allowed to touch Star Fox anymore.

The Switch doesn't have a Wii U gamepad to create poor controls.

He doesn't develop games anymore either way.

Personally, I think that all these acquisitions Microsoft made gets Xbox on Nintendo's and Playstation's level IP wise, but I don't think Nintendo or Sony need to go all out acquiring larger companies.

For Nintendo, I don't think Nintendo needs to do anything at all as a response to this. Their first party IP list and exclusive lineup for Switch is extremely well rounded. They have single player, local multiplayer, online multiplayer, more mature games, games for everyone, and successful games that bring in lots of continual revenue. Of course, there are older series' that I'd like to see return like Custom Robo, Battalion Wars, Eternal Darkness, Wave Race, the Excite series, Kid Icarus, Sin and Punishment, etc., however, they're still putting out a lot of games and have a very diverse lineup in comparison to their competitors.

For Sony, I think they'll need to shift strategy a bit. They've been laser focused on single player story driven cinematic mature western style experiences, which they're extremely good at and those games are very good, however, they're lacking in most other areas. IE, since 2015 there have been 3 Splatoon games but 0 Killzone games, 0 Warhawk games, 0 Resistance games, 0 Twisted Metal Games, 0 Socom Games, etc. And that's just shooters. They're missing new exclusive experiences in a lot of genres that they had represented in Playstation systems prior to PS4. I still remember Playstation being the first brand that came to mind when I thought about RPG's but that hasn't been the case in over 15 years. They have the IP, they could put out a new Freedom Wars, a new Legend of Dragoon, a new Soul Sacrifice, a new Wild Arms, a new Jade Cocoon, etc. but they're so laser focused on big budget cinematic western style story driven games that they forgot about the extensive IP list they have.

So what Sony needs to do is hire on new teams and get them using their long list of IP. They don't need big publisher acquisitions, they need smaller and mid sized teams to work on their own list of IP. Sure, Microsoft has locked down a lot of shooters and western RPG's. Well, combat that with your own shooters that people would LOVE to see new entries in and your own RPG's that people would LOVE to see new entries in. I'd take a new Socom over a new Call of Duty and a new Twisted Metal over a new Overwatch ANY DAY! You have the IP, use it!

Last edited by kdognumba1 - on 22 September 2022

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
Kakadu18 said:

The Switch doesn't have a Wii U gamepad to create poor controls.

He doesn't develop games anymore either way.

Yes, but unfortunately he still has the privilege to give creative input.

I had no issues with him trying crazy control schemes, but damn give us the option to also use traditional ones lol

I think 2025 and onwards will be an interesting time for the gaming industry, if the world makes it that far. We are headed on a fast track to global turmoil.

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

twintail said:
kdognumba1 said:

For Sony, I think they'll need to shift strategy a bit. They've been laser focused on single player story driven cinematic mature western style experiences, which they're extremely good at and those games are very good, however, they're lacking in most other areas. IE, since 2015 there have been 3 Splatoon games but 0 Killzone games, 0 Warhawk games, 0 Resistance games, 0 Twisted Metal Games, 0 Socom Games, etc. And that's just shooters. They're missing new exclusive experiences in a lot of genres that they had represented in Playstation systems prior to PS4. I still remember Playstation being the first brand that came to mind when I thought about RPG's but that hasn't been the case in over 15 years. They have the IP, they could put out a new Freedom Wars, a new Legend of Dragoon, a new Soul Sacrifice, a new Wild Arms, a new Jade Cocoon, etc. but they're so laser focused on big budget cinematic western style story driven games that they forgot about the extensive IP list they have.

So what Sony needs to do is hire on new teams and get them using their long list of IP. They don't need big publisher acquisitions, they need smaller and mid sized teams to work on their own list of IP. Sure, Microsoft has locked down a lot of shooters and western RPG's. Well, combat that with your own shooters that people would LOVE to see new entries in and your own RPG's that people would LOVE to see new entries in. I'd take a new Socom over a new Call of Duty and a new Twisted Metal over a new Overwatch ANY DAY! You have the IP, use it!

Sony have focussed on those cinematic games because it's what is working for them from both critically and commercially. And even now, it's what defines them against both MS and Nintendo. 

Their partnerships are what allow them to venture into other areas. That said, acquisitions like FireSprite and Haven are all about expanding their content variety and output. For instance, you mention a new Twisted Metal as being something Sony should do, and this is exactly what FireSprite are heavily rumoured to be involved in. 

I also think that with PS moving towards a greater multimedia emphasis, we may see their IPs take on different media. Twisted Metal and Gravity Rush productions are good examples of this I feel.

As for JRPGS, while this is not confirmed, there is speculation that Sony is working with both Media Vision and JP Games (Hajime Tabata) on big projects. Again, this is only speculation, so I wouldn't lose hope that Sony isn't interested in JRPGs anymore.  

Also at the time of PS4 they said they were going for markets that were complimentary to the big 3rd parties so to not directly compete and remove success from them. They have made big strides on sales of each game.

On PS3 they were releasing titles for a lot more genres but from 10 games 6 lost money, 2 broke even and only 2 had big success.

With MS movements I believe Sony will have to go middle ground between PS3 and PS4 strategies. So going for more genres while keeping most of their entries big success while not negatively impacting the 3rd party developers/publishers.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."