By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Whats our/your backup the moment VGC gets cut loose?

Thought this was a joke thread

Umm yeah, I don’t know 🤷🏻‍♂️ E3 I guess

Around the Network
kirby007 said:
super_etecoon said:

@Ryuu96 all good points, but just wanted to clarify that the z in chartz wasn’t to be cool. It was because vgcharts was already taken by another website. It may not be now, but it definitely was at the beginning.

And nextgenwars with the autoticker that kept updating every serveral seconds/minutes

Definitely had forgotten about that. Which really captures the zeitgeist of the time. Again, with all three basically launch aligned (360 with a nice head start to add to the competitiveness of the race) it was exciting to see each go head to head. And the race was beyond entertaining. I don’t know if there will ever be an alignment that allows for that kind of parity again. Of course, this current match up between Series and the PS5 will certainly be compelling once the component shortages are resolved. At this point, though, and I think it’s the most important point, all three manufacturers have shown they can survive in the ecosystem, even during dark times. That takes some of the intensity away from the fight. In 2006 we had recently witnessed a competitor leaving the market. I just don’t see that as a possibility these days. 

Do you have any reason to think ioi will pull the plug? This seems like an unsubstantiated rumor.

I am on forums less than I used to be (but there are bursts of activity...), so that would probably decrease even more. Maybe hang out on resetera or ign, although the later is a stretch, more just article comments and something about resetera just rubs me the wrong way whenever I take a look...

jlauro said:

Do you have any reason to think ioi will pull the plug? This seems like an unsubstantiated rumor.

I am on forums less than I used to be (but there are bursts of activity...), so that would probably decrease even more. Maybe hang out on resetera or ign, although the later is a stretch, more just article comments and something about resetera just rubs me the wrong way whenever I take a look...

Maybe not within the next year, but the moment the revenue+emotional attachment<costs it will happen.

Then again you probably know better than I do

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

I'd say that in fairness a little, I've heard that site visits have been increasing slightly (though whether that is due to bots or real people, Idk) but I have also heard in the past that Ioi barely breaks even or even makes a loss, so I suppose the worry is that, how long will he be willing to do that for, it already feels like he doesn't have much interest in the site anymore and has been detached for years now.

Taking a look across VGChartz as a whole, I think the Forums have felt stagnate for years now, GameDB is barely used, Profiles are dead, I think most of the activity is translating to Articles and there has been a lack of thread creation for quite a while now, both original and news threads, I've seen people (including friends) post less and less over the years or leave altogether.

Discord plays a factor along with forums dying in general, I think also the rest of what I mentioned, from marketing to functionality to design to brand. I've had people come to me personally and say the forums are practically unusable on mobile due to Ads or the general functionality of it, people who refuse to post in my thread for example cause the mobile site is a mess and I think after years of that, people just got fed up and stopped trying.

With all the Articles he does, Sales stuff and efforts on Twitter to turn VGChartz's brand around, I think Trunks is playing a large part in keeping the site from collapsing right now, Lol. Credit to him. I've tried to do what I can to keep the Forums a little more active in recent times but due to various world events lately I've been largely focused on singular issues and stopped creating threads on news.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 16 August 2022

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:

maybe the news section of the website can thrive because that does seem to be increasing in activity, Lol.

It would be great to get a few more writers around here. I very much appreciate that Trunks writes a lot. But, he has slow days/weeks from time to time, and if it wasn't just him (or, very close to just him) that wouldn't matter so much. Also, it would just be nice to have stuff written by somebody else sometimes.

To put it another way, if the news section is going to thrive, it's going to have to become something other than William D'Angelo's personal blog.  

eh, I'm already on reddit more than VGC anyway, so no backup even needed at this point.