By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What it needs to make a better Pokémon game nowadays?

I remember when Legends Arceous was first announced, people were celebrating that Game freak were getting the right the idea to how to make 3d open world pokemon game.

But seeing Scarlet and Violet gameplay just make me think... 

You get the legendary right from the start and you can only use it to explore the world. The rest of the other mons have no use other than battling. Pokemons turn into crystal (another pointless battle gimmick)... This is going full bananas 

Idk, I always had the idea from the first games that you jump in the world practically barebones, so you evolve your team to learn more abilities to go even deeper in the exploration of the world and the pokemon mysteries.

This is far left from what I think it would be the right direction for 3d open world pokemon game. 

Just for starters...

Fauna: still tossed around in the scenario, pokemon roaming around, with idle and rest animations. While my idea of having a dynamic and lively wildlife, exploring every single uniqueness from each species (similar to pokemon snap), doesn't look to be their priority.

World Exploration: Evolve the idea to make your pokemon team to use their abilities to explore the world. Not only fly and swim. What happened to flash, strength, dive? You could have many other abilities that already exist to use as world exploration or puzzle solving techniques, like Minimize to enter in small sections... idk the possibilities are infinite but it looks even less used for the next interaction. The world is there just to walk, swim, fly and catch pokemons.

Pokemon Company really should think off a spin-off series with this focus. Maybe a Kanto remake, because I know putting the entire dex with this specifications would be far demanding.

So anything you wanna opine about the points that I raised? What we have nowadays in the game is enough? What you think that defines the franchise? Looking forward for your contribution in this thread 

Last edited by 160rmf - on 23 February 2024

We reap what we sow

Around the Network

For the first time in quite a few years I'd say yes, they are

When a franchise becomes this huge, it becomes close to impossible to know what to change or what to do next. Obviously it's important to keep your old fans, but its equally as important to get new ones and the best way is by making a new entry to the series. So I'll just say I think these changes are "good enough". As an old fan of the Pokemon franchise, I don't want new generations anymore. The more they make new Pokemons and new regions, the farther it gets from feeling like a Pokemon. But I'm a realist, I think logically so I understand why they do this and I move on. As a premise, I was never a Pokemon game maniac by no means, I just like Pokemon because of the show I watched as a little kid. So I understand I am not the majority here, I don't have any nostalgic for the games.

I do want to give my opinion tho, which is that I want them to make a more "anime-style". What I mean by "anime-like" is simple. Just make it with bold outlines. I think the 2D-style was great for Pokemon because it was a lot closer to the anime or drawings you would see on Pokemon cards. Instead, they decided to use those plastic-looking 3d model with smooth edges with same looking animation. I always say, it's the eyes. When it comes to anything, the eyes are the most important, next to music. Music is responsible for 50% of the success, the eyes are responsible for the other half. The biggest issue in these new 3D Pokemon games are not graphics, story, designs, but the eyes, they aren't alive. 

Last edited by Shatts - on 03 August 2022

As much as we want a bigger change to the world and mechanics. Gamefreak will never do such big steps because Pokémon is to huge and there would be a huge part of the fan base that will hate it.

Like you said the only way is to make 2 games. One experimental and one clasic.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

I am not saying this as something solely for my pleasure or to keep the old fans.

I really think these things that I pointed with the tech that we have nowadays, we can all see the franchise reaching their true potential, just like Breath of the wild did for the Zelda franchise. Making a game just as remarkable as their branding power

Last edited by 160rmf - on 03 August 2022

We reap what we sow

Around the Network
160rmf said:

Fauna: still tossed around in the scenario, pokemon roaming around, with idle and rest animations. While my idea of having a dynamic and lively wildlife, exploring every single uniqueness from each species (similar to pokemon snap), doesn't look to be their priority.

Evolve the idea to make your pokemon team to use their abilities to explore the world: Not only fly and swim. What happened to flash, strength, dive? You could have many other abilities that already exist to use as world exploration or puzzle solving techniques, like Minimize to enter in small sections... idk the possibilities are infinite but it looks even less used for the next interaction.

Pokemon Company really should think off a spin-off series with this focus. Maybe a Kanto remake, because I know putting the entire dex with this specifications would be far demanding.

1: That would be really cool, but with hundreds of different species interacting, I question just how doable such an implementation would be.

2: No, just no. HMs and similar moves have been yeeted from the series for a good reason. They sucked and everyone hated them.

3: This already exists. It's called Pokémon Legends Arceus. Also for the love of god, no more Kanto. That region has been done to death already.

@Jules98

That's why I suggested a spin-off, don't need necessarily to be Kanto. Just limit the numbers of species. But I think Kanto would be reasonable because that's where started the series, then the following regions for each sequel.

I see. The problem was not in using the abilities in the world, the problem was that is consuming a slot that could be using for a good ability in battle. That's pretty easy to solve, just make an extra slot for the non battle abilities (an "action" button?).

Last edited by 160rmf - on 05 August 2022

We reap what we sow

New generations need new games. They can't just keep making the same thing over and over again... Whether what they try works is for time to tell!

...and you can still play the old games if that's your preference.

OneTime said:

New generations need new games. They can't just keep making the same thing over and over again... Whether what they try works is for time to tell!

You know that this crystal thing is basically a dinamax on a different skin.

What I am suggesting is no way something you would find the same by playing the old games. 

We reap what we sow

OneTime said:

You say that but we have the likes of call of duty, fifa, made, halo, forza, grand theft auto, gran turismo and so on and so on just recycling content for 20 years. 

Until fans stop buying the recycle content these companies will keep shoveling them out.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.