By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts June 2022 Discussion Thread

Xbox Series vs PS5 in America be like

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023. (And over 130 million lifetime)

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Xbox Series vs PS5 in America be like

It is going to be a fun race to watch. I am predicting Xbox Series X|S will finish 5-10M ahead of the PS5 by the end of the gen in the US. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Share the article here.

Xbox Series X|S vs Switch Sales Comparison - June 2022

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the Xbox Series X|S and Switch.

The Xbox Series X|S launched in November 2020, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. This does mean the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup.

XSX|S Vs. Switch Worldwide:

Gap change in latest month: 121,518 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 4,620,206 - Switch

Total Lead: 5,989,670 - NS

Xbox Series X|S Total Sales: 15,457,918

Switch Total Sales: 21,447,588

June 2022 is the 20th month the Xbox Series X|S has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Nintendo Switch when compared to the aligned launch of the Xbox Series X|S by 121,518 units.

In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the Xbox Series X|S by 4.62 million units. The Nintendo Switch is currently ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 5.99 million units.

The Xbox Series X|S has sold 145.46 million units in 20 months, while the Nintendo Switch sold 21.45 million units. Month 20 for the Xbox Series X|S is June 2022 and for the Nintendo Switch it is October 2018.

The Nintendo Switch crossed 30 million in month 23, 40 million in month 33. And 50 million in month 35. The Nintendo Switch has sold 109.81 million units through June 2022.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Scalped Series X's are listed at lower prices than PS5's in the US despite the much more limited quantities. Series X is also known to not sell out as quick as PS5. If we're going to mention the reduced prices of scalped consoles as a sign of meeting demand, then this isn't looking good for Series X because it's priced lower everywhere. The Verizon deal can also be interpreted as Microsoft expecting demand to start weakening, or at least not rising to a level where it can meet the new production levels. Demand for Series S was never particularly strong as is (it's been available nearly everywhere, sometimes at a discount), and I expect it to get worse when more PS5 and (potentially) Series X consoles are made available.

If Sony really manage to ramp up production and meet their targets (18 million for this fiscal year). I suspect MS will have lost its "high chance" to win this generation in hardware sales even the in the US. Keep in mind that MS is pushing a lot of Series S consoles, whereas PS5DE is practically not even in the game yet. I know Series X is in limited quantities too, but there are signs of it coming closer to meeting demand, and you can't say this about PS5DE which is potentially even more popular than the disk version. Unlike Series S, PS5DE is identical to the standard model which I think may prove a big selling point. I'm just not sure whether Sony have the intention to produce enough of them, but imo they should 6-12 months after the standard model meets demand.

Kyuu said:

Scalped Series X's are listed at lower prices than PS5's in the US despite the much more limited quantities. Series X is also known to not sell out as quick as PS5. If we're going to mention the reduced prices of scalped consoles as a sign of meeting demand, then this isn't looking good for Series X because it's priced lower everywhere. The Verizon deal can also be interpreted as Microsoft expecting demand to start weakening, or at least not rising to a level where it can meet the new production levels. Demand for Series S was never particularly strong as is (it's been available nearly everywhere, sometimes at a discount), and I expect it to get worse when more PS5 and (potentially) Series X consoles are made available.

If Sony really manage to ramp up production and meet their targets (18 million for this fiscal year). I suspect MS will have lost its "high chance" to win this generation in hardware sales even the in the US. Keep in mind that MS is pushing a lot of Series S consoles, whereas PS5DE is practically not even in the game yet. I know Series X is in limited quantities too, but there are signs of it coming closer to meeting demand, and you can't say this about PS5DE which is potentially even more popular than the disk version. Unlike Series S, PS5DE is identical to the standard model which I think may prove a big selling point. I'm just not sure whether Sony have the intention to produce enough of them, but imo they should 6-12 months after the standard model meets demand.

There is basically no chance the PS5 will outsell the X|S in the US.  It's really more of a question of "how much".  Will XBox win by a little or a lot?

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
Kyuu said:

There is basically no chance the PS5 will outsell the X|S in the US.  It's really more of a question of "how much".  Will XBox win by a little or a lot?

I've made my points... we'll wait and see. I can see myself betting on Xbox IF (a fat "if") MS keep CoD games away from Playstation, which likely isn't gonna happen coz they'd rather access PS5's install base to maximize software sales (honestly, I wouldn't even rule out Bethesda games coming to PS5 when MS don't get the desired results). Supporting PS5 could also make it easier for them to go on with their acquisition business without as much hassle from regulators. Pure guesses though.

You argue that PS5 is close to meeting demand by pointing to reduced scalped prices and yet, curiously, you don't use the same argument against Series X. Explain why PS5 is selling out faster despite the much higher quantities and no PS5DE push. Explain why it's still priced higher everywhere nearly 19 months after launch. Why were you quick to mention signs of declining demand for PS5 and not Series X? The rarer console is in less demand and is being sold cheaper, how come this doesn't catch your attention? Mark my words: your PS5 predictions are in jeopardy!

I do NOT rule out Xbox Series outselling PS5 in the US even without CoD exclusivity, but your certainty cracks me up man. Things should be a lot more fun during this half of the year, so grab you popcorn and enjoy the show!

Kyuu said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I've made my points... we'll wait and see. I can see myself betting on Xbox IF (a fat "if") MS keep CoD games away from Playstation, which likely isn't gonna happen coz they'd rather access PS5's install base to maximize software sales (honestly, I wouldn't even rule out Bethesda games coming to PS5 when MS don't get the desired results). Supporting PS5 could also make it easier for them to go on with their acquisition business without as much hassle from regulators. Pure guesses though.

You argue that PS5 is close to meeting demand by pointing to reduced scalped prices and yet, curiously, you don't use the same argument against Series X. Explain why PS5 is selling out faster despite the much higher quantities and no PS5DE push. Explain why it's still priced higher everywhere nearly 19 months after launch. Why were you quick to mention signs of declining demand for PS5 and not Series X? The rarer console is in less demand and is being sold cheaper, how come this doesn't catch your attention? Mark my words: your PS5 predictions are in jeopardy!

I do NOT rule out Xbox Series outselling PS5 in the US even without CoD exclusivity, but your certainty cracks me up man. Things should be a lot more fun during this half of the year, so grab you popcorn and enjoy the show!

The biggest factor, assuming no major changes as the gen goes along, which very well could happen, are the casual gamers.

Casuals don't tend to jump on board near as early as the hardcore gamer. While some casuals have got in early and bought an XB Series X or S due to the improved XB ecosystem, others did simply because it was much easier to get their hands on an XB vs a PS5.

Once there are PS5's fairly available, to widely available on store shelves, PS5 is going to gain more and more ground everywhere, and once PS5 starts to take off, more and more casuals will jump on that bandwagon as they always do.

I don't see there being the same type of gap as last gen for either, but XB has it's biggest battles still ahead.

Kyuu said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

You must be referring to other posts I've made, because the one you replied to only has 3 sentences.  Let me clear things up.  It depends on whether you are talking console sales lifetime or console sales this year/month/week. My posts about the resale market have more to do with what is happening with console sales right now, and don't really extend past this year's sales.

If we are talking lifetime, then PS5 is not going to outsell X|S in the US.  People in the US don't really care about the PS5, and I know because I live in the US.  They care about Switch and XBox.  And we haven't even gotten to the point where PS5 and X|S have gotten next gen exclusives yet.  Once Starfield and the like start coming, then the US is going to go even more for X|S.  Microsoft is also throwing a lot of money around right now, unlike Generation 8 where they gave up early and still did fairly well in the US.

Playstation is not a strong brand in the US.  It hasn't been strong since PS2.  It just doesn't have a chance against XBox in the US this generation, especially with Microsoft throwing around all of this money.

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 02 August 2022

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Kyuu said:

You must be referring to other posts I've made, because the one you replied to only has 3 sentences.  Let me clear things up.  It depends on whether you are talking console sales lifetime or console sales this year/month/week. My posts about the resale market have more to do with what is happening with console sales right now, and don't really extend past this year's sales.

If we are talking lifetime, then PS5 is not going to outsell X|S in the US.  People in the US don't really care about the PS5, and I know because I live in the US.  They care about Switch and XBox.  And we haven't even gotten to the point where PS5 and X|S have gotten next gen exclusives yet.  Once Starfield and the like start coming, then the US is going to go even more for X|S.  Microsoft is also throwing a lot of money around right now, unlike Generation 8 where they gave up early and still did fairly well in the US.

Playstation is not a strong brand in the US.  It hasn't been strong since PS2.  It just doesn't have a chance against XBox in the US this generation, especially with Microsoft throwing around all of this money.

I'm referring to this:

"PS5 is still very hard to find, but based on scalping prices, I think supply is close to meeting demand.  I don't expect shortages in the US to last much longer for PS5."

At this point it's clear that you lack the ability of being objective and reasonable whenever Sony and Playstation are concerned, and you make no attempts to hide it. Your constant negative speculations, seeming wishful-thinking, and strange market perception aside... Playstation remains more popular in the US and it doesn't take living there to see it. Sony's exclusives are much more popular than Microsoft's everywhere (Miles Morales, a launch "expanstion-esque" game is easily outselling Halo Infinite and Forza Horizon 5 in 2022. And it isn't even out on PC yet...). Bethesda has too much to prove, Starfield isn't a guaranteed Sony level hit especially without a PS5 version, and AB may not make enough big Series X console exclusives. GamePass may be a threat but its full effects remain unclear. You know what else has unclear/unknown effects? PS5DE, Sony's multiplayer projects, and PSVR2.

The fact that every single Xbox exclusive is releasing on PC day and date will also minimize their system selling effects. This right here is objectively another significant PS5 advantage. Less popular games you can play on two platforms (PC is much bigger than Xbox, and its likely where most players will buy MS games) vs more popular games you can only play on PS5 for at least a year. You really can't spin this as a Series X advantage.

Even though shortages made Playstation bleed mindshare for 2 years, I expect PS5 to bounce back and easily pass 100 million units sold lifetime if Sony does meet its production target this year.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Kyuu said:

I mean, come on man.  There's plenty of data that shows these statements are objectively false.  Playstation is still tremendously popular to plenty of Americans, especially in the 18-30 demo that makes a large chunk of video game purchases.  Like you, I'm an American mid-40s dad and I agree that among my friends/kid's friends the XBox (and Switch) is typically preferred, but Playstation is still seen as the "enthusiast" console here.

SW-3707-5131-3911