By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Official Xbox & Bethesda Summer Showcase 2022 thread- Starting now!

Rate the Xbox/Bethesda showcase?

10 7 10.14%

9 11 15.94%

8 14 20.29%

7 10 14.49%

6 13 18.84%

5 4 5.80%

4 5 7.25%

3 3 4.35%

2/1 1 1.45%

Undecided/NA 1 1.45%

Total:69

Starfield is the only thing I will be missing on Playstation, and even that looked kind of.. I dunno. Sure, cool stuff with the spaceship and all but the whole thing seemed oddly bland and soulless. The character models looked outdated and robotic even compared to something like The Outer Worlds. But I guess it's always been like that, these games have so many NPCs that you can't make them all vivid and memorable characters. And they still have time to to hone it. We'll see.

Around the Network
chakkra said:
twintail said:

Probably a 6.

I don't think there were any big announcements. Forza looked spectacular though. I think a large part of the middle section just felt kind of 'there'. A lot of stuff that seemed only interesting because it was coming to GP. Otherwise, that middle section just kinda blended together. I can't even remember what was shown.

The big gameplay reveal of Starfield I think looked both amazing and horrid at the same time. The scale and vista were great, but the framerate and gunplay were pretty horrible. I can't say I have much interest in it after that showing. It was just ultimately poor, scale aside.

As usual, a lot of games. I think the focus on the next 12 months and GP was a good idea, but I think it also masks a showcase that was just lacking in big announcements. So yeah, I think is a 6 is fine.

@shikamaru317 at least you cant deny the moneyhatting MS is doing to get console launch exclusives and day 1 GP games.

Okay, I have to ask: What do you qualify as a "big announcement"?

Maybe MS announcing a new AAA game, I suppose.

There was good stuff in the show nonetheless.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Ok, I watched the Microsoft showcase and I have to say something about it.  Disclaimer:  I have never owned an XBox, I don't like Microsoft as a company, and I also think all Bethesda games suck.  (No, I am not joking about any of that.)

That was probably the best XBox presentation I've ever seen.  It was definitely better than the State of Play shown several days ago.  I usually watch these XBox presentations half out of curiosity and half to make fun of them, which is what I did with this one at first.  Then I got to Diablo 4.  That shut me up.  The game looked cool, and they did show off a fair amount of gameplay.  I think I was also partly shocked just seeing a classic Blizzard franchise shown as a Microsoft exclusive.  I have fond memories of Diablo 1, because it was the first game I played on the internet.  Good times.

I've also gotta say they had a good variety of games, and not just the cliche FPS and Third Person Shooters.  They also showed off a whole lot of games, and a few looked like games I might try even if they were not as interesting as Diablo 4.  (Also, I am curious if HK: Silksong and the Persona games are coming to Switch.  If they are not in the next Nintendo presentation, then I'll have my answer.)  They had an impressive amount of content, little filler, and they only showed games releasing in the next 12 months.

So, I am not ready to buy an XBox yet.  But I'll say they are moving ahead of Playstation in my mind as far as quality and quantity of games.  If Nintendo's lineup takes a nosedive, or if XBox continues to improve for the next couple of years, then I'll need to start thinking about how to play these games (i.e. maybe a PC instead of a console...we'll see).

Overall: 7/10

Yeah, I agree mostly. One addition: Gamepass. That nearly everything shown is on gamepass is amazing value. Most interestingly Diablo IV isn't, but I guess that might change once the acquisition is done.

A question for you: what did you think of Ravenlok? I am impressed by the unique artstyle and also I am a sucker for Alice in Wonderland, so that is good. gameplay seems also tolerable.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Ok, I watched the Microsoft showcase and I have to say something about it.  Disclaimer:  I have never owned an XBox, I don't like Microsoft as a company, and I also think all Bethesda games suck.  (No, I am not joking about any of that.)

That was probably the best XBox presentation I've ever seen.  It was definitely better than the State of Play shown several days ago.  I usually watch these XBox presentations half out of curiosity and half to make fun of them, which is what I did with this one at first.  Then I got to Diablo 4.  That shut me up.  The game looked cool, and they did show off a fair amount of gameplay.  I think I was also partly shocked just seeing a classic Blizzard franchise shown as a Microsoft exclusive.  I have fond memories of Diablo 1, because it was the first game I played on the internet.  Good times.

I've also gotta say they had a good variety of games, and not just the cliche FPS and Third Person Shooters.  They also showed off a whole lot of games, and a few looked like games I might try even if they were not as interesting as Diablo 4.  (Also, I am curious if HK: Silksong and the Persona games are coming to Switch.  If they are not in the next Nintendo presentation, then I'll have my answer.)  They had an impressive amount of content, little filler, and they only showed games releasing in the next 12 months.

So, I am not ready to buy an XBox yet.  But I'll say they are moving ahead of Playstation in my mind as far as quality and quantity of games.  If Nintendo's lineup takes a nosedive, or if XBox continues to improve for the next couple of years, then I'll need to start thinking about how to play these games (i.e. maybe a PC instead of a console...we'll see).

Yeah, I agree mostly. One addition: Gamepass. That nearly everything shown is on gamepass is amazing value. Most interestingly Diablo IV isn't, but I guess that might change once the acquisition is done.

Yeah, Diablo IV isn't in Game Pass because that'd require paying Activision a huge amount and I suspect they don't want to do that cause it'd simply be a waste when they can do it for free once the acquisition closes, I strongly suspect that the acquisition will close before Diablo IV releases which means it will launch day one into Game Pass but we'll see!

Game Pass would have an incredibly strong early 2023 though: Redfall, Starfield, Forza Motorsport, Minecraft Legends, Ara History Untold, Wo Long, Riot Games Catalogue and possibly Diablo IV.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 13 June 2022

Kudos to MS for still trying to put on a big mid year gaming event - while other companies have completely abandoned the idea.

I think its a solid showing 7-8/10. So much content for game pass owners (I'm sure there was something for everyone), and a decent amount of actual gameplay shown. Starfield looks amazing.

Some minor gripes would be the lack of follow up to already announced but unreleased games that fans are eagerly awaiting such as Fable, Avowed, Helblade 2 etc. No real new big announcements - but I guess it wouldn't even make sense to make further announcements when we still waiting on the games that have already been announced to get proper reveals.... thirdly we are only in June 2022 - nothing big coming for the rest of the calendar year? That being said I feel like these gripes are more directed at MS Studios as oppose to the actual conference showing.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Around the Network

Oh man, I just realized something: They bookended the presentation with the two games that got delayed from this year to next. Started with Redfall and ended with Starfield...as if to say 'here's what you're not going to be playing this holiday season'.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Top 6 this generation: 
Bloodborne, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, God of War, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Dark Souls III, Red Dead Redemption II, Rock Band 4

Runa216 said:

Oh man, I just realized something: They bookended the presentation with the two games that got delayed from this year to next. Started with Redfall and ended with Starfield...as if to say 'here's what you're not going to be playing this holiday season'.

These days you gift people game pass for the holidays and they can play them when they become available and play the other available games from the same gift

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

smroadkill15 said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Then I was ready to objectively yawn for much of it.

Not all of get baited into rumors and get upset when those rumors don't pan out.  

I was trying to be optimistic for a change. This only furthered my disappointment in Microsoft. AND Nintendo for letting Rare go in the 2000s.

Mnementh said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

A question for you: what did you think of Ravenlok? I am impressed by the unique artstyle and also I am a sucker for Alice in Wonderland, so that is good. gameplay seems also tolerable.

There were several games I put into the "maybe" category.  Ravenlok was one.  I'd have to wait and see how it reviews and such.  

As for Gamepass, it is kind of the opposite direction of where I want gaming to go.  I like all physical.  However, I recognize that it is a good value, and I currently think Microsoft is doing everything right to make it succeed.  The biggest difference between Gamepass and Stadia is that Microsoft recognizes the importance of exclusive games.  I would bet, if someone did a technical breakdown, that Stadia was running on better tech than Gamepass.  It doesn't matter though.  Gaming is about games.  Microsoft has the games.  Microsoft just showed off a ton of exclusives including a few really big games that are going to draw people to Gamepass.  Google also gave up quickly when they discovered how hard it is to succeed in gaming.  Microsoft does not intend to give up.  They have been around for several generations and now they are investing heavily toward their all digital future.  Gamepass is going to do well. 

Microsoft is doing everything right currently.  Sony is not.  They are going to get blindsided over the next couple of years when they see that sales are not going their way anymore.  In fact, gaming is currently changing in some fairly permanent ways.  There are a lot of consumers out there who have tried hybrid consoles and will not want to go back to a TV only system.  There are other consumers who are going to try Gamepass, and then will never go back to anything other than a subscription service.  The way I see it, Microsoft and Nintendo are currently carving out their part of the market for the next decade or two, and Sony is mostly just standing by and letting it all happen.

@The_Liquid_Laser

Chip shortage aside (which you never really took into account in your old PS5-doomed comments), Sony has never been in a better position, your continued doom and gloom comments make no sense and will age like milk coz it's clear that Sony is also adapting by expanding to PC, reasonably improving their services, etc, and will continue to evolve in ways that make sense for them.

Diablo 4 isn't an Xbox exclusive, it's coming out on PS4/PS5 as well. And MS made it clear they don't intend major AB games to skip Playstation, because they know that would hurt their franchises more than it hurts Playstation. There are cons and pros to everything.