By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is it worth it to get a Switch at this point?

Yes. Absolutely.

Just get the standard model unless you get a deal on the OLED model (which hasnt gone down in price).

Plenty of games and tons of sales going on both digitally and physically.

Use this for reference in getting sales/deals for both hardware (controllers, etc) and software: https://www.dekudeals.com/

^ I blame this for making my switch library bigger than combined totals of most of my other nintendo systems lol

Basil's YouTube Channel

Around the Network

The Switch's successor won't be out for another couple of years most likely, and there's no guarantee it will be backwards compatible. It all depends on if Nintendo decides to stick with a hybrid platform or not. There's always a possibility they may try something different. I personally think they'll just make a Switch 2 with the same basic form & function because it worked so well for them and they kind of put all their eggs in one basket by fusing home consoles with handhelds, but you never know.

Even if it's a Switch 2 and is BC, there's still more than enough on the system to justify a purchase right now. Super Mario Odyssey and Metroid Dread are already some of my favorite games of the past decade. Unless you're really, really patient and willing to wait another two years to play any of its games, go ahead and buy a Switch now. Even the base model (which I have; bought it at launch) is a very high-quality system, with an amazing screen for the handheld part. Be sure to buy a Pro controller if you're planning on playing in TV mode, though. It's well worth it.

Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").

Being a day 1 purchaser of the switch, I can say it has been worth every penny. From zelda BOTW to Mario party to Mario kart to animal crossing, it’s definitely been worth the purchase. And even if you’re apprehensive about some of these titles, I always see them going on “sale” on Best Buy.

(And by sale I mean 10-20 dollars off, but hey, it’s not full price)

Kakadu18 said:

The next Nintendo console is definitely not coming this or next year.
The OLED model is definitely the better model, more sturdy, better build quality, feels more premium, or so I've heard.

Basically all genres are represented on the Switch, some more than others.
Good horror games on the Switch would be the Outlast games, Alien Isolation and Amnesia Collection.

I wanna also recommend Astral Chain if you like some cool action.

Not this year but I wouldn't say for definite its not coming next. Next year will bring BOTW 2 and that would make for a great launch title for Nintendo's next console.. like BOTW was for the NSW.

But yeah the Switch OLED makes sense if OP wants to buy now. The much better screen is worth it, plus the extras like built in Ethernet and improved stand. If you're just wanting to play on the go the Switch lite may also be another consideration. Lighter, more compact and portable.. only without the ability to connect to a TV.

As for BC. It may happen, but I wouldn't count on it. Up to you really.. I'd maybe hold out a year if I was on the fence.

Last edited by hinch - on 21 May 2022

Definitely worth it. Switch won't get a price cut and Switch 2 is long off.

PS5/XBS still don't have many compelling games.

PC games are too different compared to Switch.

So if you think you will like a bunch of Switch games, buy it.

Around the Network
hinch said:

Not this year but I wouldn't say for definite its not coming next. Next year will bring BOTW 2 and that would make for a great launch title for Nintendo's next console.. like BOTW was for the NSW.

But yeah the Switch OLED makes sense if OP wants to buy now. The much better screen is worth it, plus the extras like built in Ethernet and improved stand. If you're just wanting to play on the go the Switch lite may also be another consideration. Lighter, more compact and portable.. only without the ability to connect to a TV.

As for BC. It may happen, but I wouldn't count on it. Up to you really.. I'd maybe hold out a year if I was on the fence.

I'm definitely considering doing that. I have a couple of months till my wife's birthday to decide haha

No 💅🏽

Edit: I should clarify, no it's not worth it.

Last edited by tsogud - on 22 May 2022

tsogud said:

No 💅🏽

Edit: I should clarify, no it's not worth it.

Interesting. Not many people have been in the "No" camp as of yet. Care to elaborate?

If your other platform is a PS5 then yeah I highly recommend Ori and the Blind Forest and its sequel Ori and the Will of Wisps, excellent games that aren't available on Playstation.

Shin Megami Tensei V, Octopath Traveler, Triangle Strategy, Cruis'n Blast, FAST RMX, Bravely Default II, etc are also good ones you can't get on PS if you're into the kind of game they represent.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 22 May 2022

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.