By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - If Sony buys Square Enix, will there be hope for another LoD?

Tagged games:

So...

Nah, they hate it! 7 15.56%

No, FF > LoD 6 13.33%

No, because of you 7 15.56%

Maybe, SE can try it 1 2.22%

Maybe, just... maybe 2 4.44%

Yes, because of you 5 11.11%

Yes, LoD > FF 3 6.67%

Yeah, they will! 2 4.44%

What is a LoD? 4 8.89%

Rather see Knack 3 by Square 8 17.78%

Total:45
CGI-Quality said:

Sony not being as rich as those others is irrelevant.

Sitting on cash during an inflationary period means that you have less and less money (inflation adjusted) relatively quickly.  Therefore, companies like Microsoft, Apple, and Google that are sitting on giant stacks of cash are much more likely to consider acquisitions right now than companies with substantially smaller stacks of cash like Sony.

To be clear, it's not so much the nominal size of the cash balance sitting on the balance sheet.  But, the size of that balance relative to other factors of the business that makes it much more likely for a company like Microsoft to consider a major acquisition than a company like Sony.  

Microsoft has cash that it needs to spend. It has a fiduciary duty to make better use of that cash than sitting it on the balance sheet and having inflation eat it away everyday.  The same factors apply to Sony. But, the relative size of their cash balance is substantially smaller, at least it was last I paid attention. So, the pressure on Sony to find alternative uses for that cash is lower.  

Around the Network
VAMatt said:
CGI-Quality said:

Sony not being as rich as those others is irrelevant.

Sitting on cash during an inflationary period means that you have less and less money (inflation adjusted) relatively quickly.  Therefore, companies like Microsoft, Apple, and Google that are sitting on giant stacks of cash are much more likely to consider acquisitions right now than companies with substantially smaller stacks of cash like Sony.

To be clear, it's not so much the nominal size of the cash balance sitting on the balance sheet.  But, the size of that balance relative to other factors of the business that makes it much more likely for a company like Microsoft to consider a major acquisition than a company like Sony.  

Microsoft has cash that it needs to spend. It has a fiduciary duty to make better use of that cash than sitting it on the balance sheet and having inflation eat it away everyday.  The same factors apply to Sony. But, the relative size of their cash balance is substantially smaller, at least it was last I paid attention. So, the pressure on Sony to find alternative uses for that cash is lower.  

"Remember that Sony doesn't have as much money as other companies"

- First issue with this is the assumption that twintail was unaware.

"Sony cannot afford Square-Enix"

- False.

The rest of what you're saying is fine and dandy, but a sidestep to the point Victor was going for (and ultimately my simple point, because this is a silly argument to begin with). Other companies have always had more money than Sony. Doesn't mean they have to rush to purchase or can't make this purchase, regardless of moves being made.

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 10 May 2022

Vendrom said:

Wasn’t there a persistent rumor about Bluepoint having a second project besides Demon’s Souls, which purportedly was a Legend of Dragoon remake? Bluepoint themselves teased two projects on Twitter, with hints from various franchises including Metal Gear Solid and Castlevania, among the aforementioned two. But that was months or a couple of years before the Demon’s Souls announcement. After the acquisition, Bluepoint has a desire to make original content, so things may have changed.

So, the rumour is that they have 2 games in development: a remake and original content (this is rumoured to be similar to Spider-Man MM in scope)..

The LoD is just speculation based on a tweet from a higher up at Bluepoint who had positive words for the game. The teases from Bluepoint included potentially 10 different games. They were just poking fun at fans who keep speculating they are remaking a variety of different games.

As it stands, there's nothing tangible to connect BP to anything, not even the 2 game rumour. 

BraLoD is alright, he's always hoping of LoD coming back. I'm still Hopeful of a new Fighting Vipers and a Shenmue comeback. Let him be hopeful. I imagine Square Enix might either mess it up or have Yoshi P come up with something new like how Guerrila games made Killzone then stepped away from Shooting and did an amazing action game in Horizon Forbidden West. We just don't know also gaming circles like these attract gamers though not politics as much or sports or music but gaming is the main focus Though anything related to videogames gets the most traction because this site is game focused.

Cute and honest Sega Saturn fan, also noone should buy Sega grrrr, Sega for life.

SegaHeart said:

BraLoD is alright, he's always hoping of LoD coming back. I'm still Hopeful of a new Fighting Vipers and a Shenmue comeback. Let him be hopeful. I imagine Square Enix might either mess it up or have Yoshi P come up with something new like how Guerrila games made Killzone then stepped away from Shooting and did an amazing action game in Horizon Forbidden West. We just don't know also gaming circles like these attract gamers though not politics as much or sports or music but gaming is the main focus Though anything related to videogames gets the most traction because this site is game focused.

You mean Shenmue 4?

Getting a sequel so long after Shenmue 2 was quite the comeback already, it also even got a 1 and 2 hd remaster.

But I think Shenmue 3 needed a better treatment to be something more of a Yakuza-level game. The hype for Shenmue 3 was out ot this world, tho, the announcement was insane.

Around the Network

Respectfully the IP is well over 20 years old. Time to..

Assuming Sony does acquire SE.. I highly doubt Sony/SE would be interested in a niche IP, never mind a JRPG from a bygone era. And assuming they did look at previous IP's something like Chrono series would take priority. I'd want SE to have a look at Vagrant Story myself regardless xP

Do respect the energy though, keep the flame going dude lol. Happy to eat crow if by some miracle it does happen.

hinch said:

Do respect the energy though, keep the flame going dude lol. Happy to eat crow if by some miracle it does happen.

I'll say this much: if LoD appears on PS+ I'll think about playing it. 

If Sony does remaster/ remake it: I'll probably buy it because of BraLoD's dedication!

twintail said:
hinch said:

If Sony does remaster/ remake it: I'll probably buy it because of BraLoD's dedication!

This is heart warming :)

Cute and honest Sega Saturn fan, also noone should buy Sega grrrr, Sega for life.

twintail said:
hinch said:

Positive vibes FTW!

twintail said:
hinch said:

Lol yeah, same.

Never got around to playing it on the PS1. Might have to see what the fuss is all about on this one, should it ever release/re-release on modern platforms. Upscaling is pretty good nowadays, even for old 2D games and art.

I mean check this mode of from out from a fan made community from 'The Legend of the Dragoon Project'. Its done through Ai training and upscaling -

https://legendofdragoon.org/2021/01/01/upscale-project-debut/