By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo allegedly violates Workers rights to organise

https://sea.ign.com/nintendo-switch-1/184926/news/inside-the-growing-discontent-behind-nintendos-fun-facade

IGN report into NOA



Around the Network
twintail said:

https://sea.ign.com/nintendo-switch-1/184926/news/inside-the-growing-discontent-behind-nintendos-fun-facade

IGN report into NOA

Seems like repeating what I've already read multiple times about other companies outside gaming/IT industry even 

Outsourcing and other kinds of non full-time jobs lead to precarious working habits. The difference in turn over seems to be particularly staggering

Nintendo seems to value their development studios, as they don't believe they can find other talents with Nintendo DNA easily in the wild, which must be right, but they don't share the same view from their non-dev teams, which they probably seem as second class workers that can be easily overworked and replaced 



This is just shitty.



Reggie Fils-Aimé Weighs In On Nintendo Worker Exploitation: ‘This Isn’t The Nintendo I Left’

In light of recent reports by Kotaku and others about worker complaints at Nintendo of America, former president and gaming icon Reggie Fils-Aimé was asked about how the company treats its employees. “I know I was able to achieve [a healthy culture], and certainly what’s being described does not seem like a healthy culture,” he told The Washington Post in an interview Tuesday.

Fils-Aimé is currently on a mini-press tour promoting his new business memoir, Disrupting the Game: From the Bronx to the Top of Nintendo. Much of the book documents his time overseeing the company’s largest business unit outside of Japan from its Redmond, Washington headquarters. However, it arrives just as many current and former Nintendo of America employees are speaking up about exploitative working conditions at the beloved gaming company, following news of a labor complaint reported by Axios.

At the heart of this arrangement is a contractor system that employs hundreds of testers, customer service reps, and other “associates” in a permatemp status where they receive low pay, poor benefits, and no guarantee of job security even as they do the same work as people in full-time positions. As first reported on by Kotaku, current and former employees say this creates a two-tier system where permatemp associates feel like second-class employees, both in terms of compensation and the lack of respect from top brass.

“As I read the stories and I read the reports it struck me that this wasn’t the Nintendo I left,” Fils-Aimé told The Washington Post. He went on to point out that during his tenure from 2006 to 2019 he held regular lunch meetings with employees that permatemp associates were free to sign up for and attend. One former associate told Kotaku they were aware of the lunches but had never heard of contract workers being allowed to attend. They and others did not even have badge access to the main building in which they were held.






All companies will behave like this. It is time for all workers to unionize. Companies will mess you up without a union and will union bust like crazy if you try to unionize. Nintendo is a corporation at the end of the day and they don't really care about their workers or us gamers. They care about their money and they will do whay every to get more of it. The good guy nintendo thing is just marketing. Corporations don't have ethics



Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Around the Network
Eagle367 said:

All companies will behave like this. It is time for all workers to unionize. Companies will mess you up without a union and will union bust like crazy if you try to unionize. Nintendo is a corporation at the end of the day and they don't really care about their workers or us gamers. They care about their money and they will do whay every to get more of it. The good guy nintendo thing is just marketing. Corporations don't have ethics

That's not true at all. Companies are run by people and people almost always have some moral compass. The only question is, do the companies put more value in their bottom line, or in their worker's morale. Not listening to workers is a decision and a bad one, but it's a decision that people make, who are at the head of a company.



padib said:
Eagle367 said:

All companies will behave like this. It is time for all workers to unionize. Companies will mess you up without a union and will union bust like crazy if you try to unionize. Nintendo is a corporation at the end of the day and they don't really care about their workers or us gamers. They care about their money and they will do whay every to get more of it. The good guy nintendo thing is just marketing. Corporations don't have ethics

That's not true at all. Companies are run by people and people almost always have some moral compass. The only question is, do the companies put more value in their bottom line, or in their worker's morale. Not listening to workers is a decision and a bad one, but it's a decision that people make, who are at the head of a company.

Ignoring the system for the individual does not really help. The system gets built to incentivize seeking of ever increasing profits and the people, even at the top, become replaceable parts of said system. Individuals might have moral values, but that doesn't translate one to one with actions large groups take. As a prof in physics told me, bigger is different. That is true of physics and it's true for humans



Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

padib said:
Eagle367 said:

All companies will behave like this. It is time for all workers to unionize. Companies will mess you up without a union and will union bust like crazy if you try to unionize. Nintendo is a corporation at the end of the day and they don't really care about their workers or us gamers. They care about their money and they will do whay every to get more of it. The good guy nintendo thing is just marketing. Corporations don't have ethics

That's not true at all. Companies are run by people and people almost always have some moral compass. The only question is, do the companies put more value in their bottom line, or in their worker's morale. Not listening to workers is a decision and a bad one, but it's a decision that people make, who are at the head of a company.

And what values and morals a head of a big company can possible share other than desire for money and keep the company profitable? Seems like a basic requeriment to be in their position 

Every public traded company council will fall into a umbrella of people who don't give a damn about the company itself, only for the numbers they are able to make. Any kind of mission or vision can be reworked to accommodate the basic premise the company needs to survive, that's how Nintendo turned from a toy company to a gaming company and will turn into a toothbrush business if they feel they need to. Granted, the same council can just find better to dismantle and sell everything, whatever makes more sense for their pockets