By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts March 2022 Discussion Thread

Share the article here.

Switch vs DS in Japan Sales Comparison - March 2022

This monthly series compares the aligned Japanese sales of the Nintendo Switch and Nintendo DS.

The DS launched in December 2004 in Japan and the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. Therefore, the normal holiday periods and the Japanese Golden Week holiday for the two consoles do not lineup.

Switch Vs. DS Japan:

Gap change in latest month: 455,494 - DS

Gap change over last 12 months: 1,289,225 - Switch

Total Lead: 4,974,421 - DS

Switch Total Sales: 24,420,284

DS Total Sales: 29,394,705

March 2022 is the 61st month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in Japan. During the latest month, the DS has outsold the Switch by 455,494 units when you align the launches.

In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the DS by 1.29 million units. The DS is currently ahead of the Switch by 4.97 million units.

The 61st month for the Switch is March 2022, while for the DS it is December 2009. The Switch has sold 24.42 million units, while the DS sold 29.39 million units during the same timeframe. The DS sold current Switch sales in month 50.

The DS has sold 32.98 million units lifetime in Japan. The Switch is currently 8.56 million units behind the lifetime sales of the DS.

Last edited by trunkswd - on 07 May 2022

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

Switch vs. DS in Japan has a different look than the global comparison. While worldwide the DS is right around the time of building up its biggest lead over Switch yet, in Japan Switch is already in the process of closing the gap since about two years.

The pace at which Switch closes the gap will accelerate from now on, because from this point onwards the DS will only add ~3.6m more to its lifetime total. Year 6 is also the final year where the DS puts up meaningful numbers in Japan, so Switch outlasting the DS is all it takes to become the best-selling system of all-time in Japan. Although it will probably require another revision for Switch to really push it above the hill, because Japan's population size hasn't seen any growth since the DS days. Then again, the DS had also four models during its lifetime, so it's only fair if Switch gets its fourth one too.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

RolStoppable said:

Switch vs. DS in Japan has a different look than the global comparison. While worldwide the DS is right around the time of building up its biggest lead over Switch yet, in Japan Switch is already in the process of closing the gap since about two years.

The pace at which Switch closes the gap will accelerate from now on, because from this point onwards the DS will only add ~3.6m more to its lifetime total. Year 6 is also the final year where the DS puts up meaningful numbers in Japan, so Switch outlasting the DS is all it takes to become the best-selling system of all-time in Japan. Although it will probably require another revision for Switch to really push it above the hill, because Japan's population size hasn't seen any growth since the DS days. Then again, the DS had also four models during its lifetime, so it's only fair if Switch gets its fourth one too.

Nintendo Switch has also yet to get a price cut, other than the small one in Europe last year. I don't see Nintendo dropping the price by much when they do. Lite to like $170 or $180, OG to $250 and OLED to $300. Or whatever the equivalent would be in Yen. The fact the Switch has not gotten a price cut after 5+ years is impressive. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Share the article here.

Switch vs Wii Sales Comparison in the US - March 2022

This monthly series compares the aligned US sales of the Nintendo Switch and the Nintendo Wii.

The Wii launched in November 2006, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

Switch Vs. Wii US:

Gap change in latest month: 354,128 - Wii

Gap change over last 12 months: 1,387,735 - Switch

Total Lead: 1,758,942 - Wii

Switch Total Sales: 35,622,126

Wii Total Sales: 37,381,068

March 2022 is the 61st month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in the US. During the latest month, the Wii has grown its lead over the Switch when you align the launches by 354,128 units.

In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the Wii by 1.39 million units. The Wii is currently ahead of the Switch by 1.76 million units.

The 61st month for the Nintendo Switch is March 2022 and for the Wii it is November 2011. The Switch has sold 35.62 million units, while the Wii sold 37.38 million units during the same timeframe. The Wii sold current Switch sales in month 57.

The Wii sold 41.70 million units in the US during its lifetime. The Switch needs to sell another 6.08 million units to outsell the Wii.

Share the article here.

Switch vs Wii Sales Comparison in Europe - March 2022

This monthly series compares the aligned European sales of the Nintendo Switch and the Nintendo Wii.

The Wii launched in Europe in December 2006, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

Switch Vs. Wii Europe:

Gap change in latest month: 851,974 - Wii

Gap change over last 12 months: 2,553,422 - Switch

Total Lead: 2,643,670 - Wii

Switch Total Sales: 28,075,681

Wii Total Sales: 30,719,351

March 2022 is the 61st month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in Europe. During the latest month, the Wii grew its lead by 851,974 units.

In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the Wii by just 2,55 million units. The Wii is currently ahead of the Switch by 2.64 million units.

The 61st month for the Nintendo Switch is March 2022 and for the Wii it is December 2011. The Switch has sold 28.08 million units, while the Wii sold 30.72 million units during the same timeframe. The Wii sold current Switch sales in month 56.

The Wii sold 33.88 million units in Europe during its lifetime. The Switch needs to sell another 5.80 million units to outsell the Wii.

Last edited by trunkswd - on 08 May 2022

Around the Network

We're aligned with Wii's last significant holiday season as of these charts, so once that passes the Switch will gain fast.

And yeah it's unlikely many PS2s sold in the months between March 2013 and its discontinuation. By then it was ancient, the 7th gen consoles had all come down in price and hit their stride, and PS2 had already been $99 for years.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023. (And over 130 million lifetime)