By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts March 2022 Discussion Thread

I knew this would happen but it feels surreal actually seeing this.



Around the Network

Boom. There it is.

I feel the same as Kakadu, as much as we knew it was coming it still almost doesn't feel real, when not so long ago the PS4 seemed untouchable and Nintendo was bogged the Wii U era mud.

Well deserved; here's to passing the PS4 globally.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023. (And over 130 million lifetime)

Share the article here.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Sales Comparison in the US - March 2022

This monthly series compares the aligned US sales of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S.

The PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S both launched in November 2020. The Xbox Series X|S launched in the US on November 10, 2020, and the PlayStation 5 on November 12, 2020.

PS5 Vs. XSX|S US:

Gap change in latest month: 301,291 - XS

Gap change over last 12 months: 533,605 - XS

Total Lead: 195,562 - PS5

PlayStation 5 Total Sales: 6,956,276

Xbox Series X|S Total Sales: 6,760,714

March 2022 is the 17th month the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Xbox Series X|S when compared to the aligned launch of the PlayStation 5 by 301,291 units.

In the last 12 months, the Xbox Series X|S has outsold PlayStation 5 by 533,605 units. The PlayStation 5 is currently ahead by 195,562 units.

The PlayStation 5 has sold 6.96 million units in the US in 17 months, while the Xbox Series X|S sold 6.76 million units. The PlayStation 5 has a 50.7 percent marketshare, compared to 49.3 percent for the Xbox Series X|S.

The PlayStation 5 is currently 599,479 units behind the PlayStation 4 in the US when you align launches and the Xbox Series X|S is behind the Xbox One by 54,985.



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Share the article here.

Switch vs 3DS in Japan Sales Comparison - March 2022

This monthly series compares the aligned Japanese sales of the Nintendo Switch and Nintendo 3DS.

The 3DS launched in February 2011 in Japan and the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. This does mean the normal holiday periods and the Japanese Golden Week holiday for the two consoles are off by one month.

Switch Vs. 3DS Japan:

Gap change in latest month: 339,020 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 3,022,638 - Switch

Total Lead: 3,953,943 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 24,420,284

3DS Total Sales: 20,466,341

March 2022 is the 61st month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in Japan. During the latest month, the Switch outsold the 3DS by 339,020 units when you align the launches. In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the 3DS by 3.02 million units. The Switch is currently ahead of the 3DS by 3.95 million units.

The 61st month for the Switch is March 2022, while for the 3DS it is February 2016. The Switch has sold 24.42 million units, while the 3DS sold 20.47 million units during the same timeframe. The 3DS did not reach current Switch sales until month 96.

The 3DS has sold 24.67 million units lifetime in Japan. The Switch is currently 0.25 million units behind the lifetime sales of the 3DS.



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:

Share the article here.

Switch vs 3DS in Japan Sales Comparison - March 2022

This monthly series compares the aligned Japanese sales of the Nintendo Switch and Nintendo 3DS.

The 3DS launched in February 2011 in Japan and the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. This does mean the normal holiday periods and the Japanese Golden Week holiday for the two consoles are off by one month.

Switch Vs. 3DS Japan:

Gap change in latest month: 339,020 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 3,022,638 - Switch

Total Lead: 3,953,943 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 24,420,284

3DS Total Sales: 20,466,341

March 2022 is the 61st month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in Japan. During the latest month, the Switch outsold the 3DS by 339,020 units when you align the launches. In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the 3DS by 3.02 million units. The Switch is currently ahead of the 3DS by 3.95 million units.

The 61st month for the Switch is March 2022, while for the 3DS it is February 2016. The Switch has sold 24.42 million units, while the 3DS sold 20.47 million units during the same timeframe. The 3DS did not reach current Switch sales until month 96.

The 3DS has sold 24.67 million units lifetime in Japan. The Switch is currently 0.25 million units behind the lifetime sales of the 3DS.

bolded, after the Switch beats 3DS the next comparison should be Gameboy in Japan.



Cute and honest Sega Saturn fan, also noone should buy Sega grrrr, Sega for life. The reason I'm chaotic to few 3rd party developers is because I'm protecting Sega and also I lack skill to get really hot girl I really want. also few devs deserve it for making bad game's personal experiences, looking at Ghost Blade HD the shmup or Fighting EX Layer. My standards are too high for genres I play. KOF 13 > Fighting EX layer gameplay.

Around the Network
SegaHeart said:

bolded, after the Switch beats 3DS the next comparison should be Gameboy in Japan.

VGChartz didn't exist so we don't have weekly/monthly data for the Gameboy on the site. But we do have the DS and that comparison we are doing. It should be up this weekend.



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:
SegaHeart said:

bolded, after the Switch beats 3DS the next comparison should be Gameboy in Japan.

VGChartz didn't exist so we don't have weekly/monthly data for the Gameboy on the site. But we do have the DS and that comparison we are doing. It should be up this weekend.

SNES/N64 was before Vgchartz too I think? When was the website created?



Cute and honest Sega Saturn fan, also noone should buy Sega grrrr, Sega for life. The reason I'm chaotic to few 3rd party developers is because I'm protecting Sega and also I lack skill to get really hot girl I really want. also few devs deserve it for making bad game's personal experiences, looking at Ghost Blade HD the shmup or Fighting EX Layer. My standards are too high for genres I play. KOF 13 > Fighting EX layer gameplay.

SegaHeart said:
trunkswd said:

VGChartz didn't exist so we don't have weekly/monthly data for the Gameboy on the site. But we do have the DS and that comparison we are doing. It should be up this weekend.

SNES/N64 was before Vgchartz too I think? When was the website created?

VGChartz was creating towards the start of the 7th generation. So we have weekly estimates starting with the DS, PSP, Wii, Xbox 360, and PS3.



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:
SegaHeart said:

SNES/N64 was before Vgchartz too I think? When was the website created?

VGChartz was creating towards the start of the 7th generation. So we have weekly estimates starting with the DS, PSP, Wii, Xbox 360, and PS3.

I checked the game DB upper left corner of the home page clicked platform and found Gameboy total sales in Japan is around 32 million.



Cute and honest Sega Saturn fan, also noone should buy Sega grrrr, Sega for life. The reason I'm chaotic to few 3rd party developers is because I'm protecting Sega and also I lack skill to get really hot girl I really want. also few devs deserve it for making bad game's personal experiences, looking at Ghost Blade HD the shmup or Fighting EX Layer. My standards are too high for genres I play. KOF 13 > Fighting EX layer gameplay.

SegaHeart said:
trunkswd said:

VGChartz was creating towards the start of the 7th generation. So we have weekly estimates starting with the DS, PSP, Wii, Xbox 360, and PS3.

I checked the game DB upper left corner of the home page clicked platform and found Gameboy total sales in Japan is around 32 million.

The Gameboy is at 32.47mil in Japan. I think that's shipments.