By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Saudi Prince now owns SNK, goodbye KOF and other franchises :(

AZWification said:

Can't wait for Metal Slug 8 which will take place in Yemen..

Cute and honest Sega Saturn fan, also noone should buy Sega grrrr, Sega for life.

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
twintail said:

A company that overworks ppl vs a man who has dissidents brutally murdered?

Yes... quite the conundrum indeed I'm sure.

As opposed to all the nice treatment of people in Asia whom make all our electronics?  While, of course ignoring, where most of us get our energy...  from those nice countries that treat people oh so well.  

Taking a hard stance against SNK because Saudi, while buying electronics from Asia and powering with Russian energy...  sorry, seems like a paradox to me.  

Not too mention the extreme working conditions via crunch and depending on the company severe hostile/harassment working conditions.  

I don't think there's anything paradoxical about it, unless you believe that all actions and thoughts are merely reduced to a binary of 1 and 0's .

Yes, these situations are not great and they are social issues that we should all be aware of. 

twintail said:
Chrkeller said:

As opposed to all the nice treatment of people in Asia whom make all our electronics?  While, of course ignoring, where most of us get our energy...  from those nice countries that treat people oh so well.  

Taking a hard stance against SNK because Saudi, while buying electronics from Asia and powering with Russian energy...  sorry, seems like a paradox to me.  

Not too mention the extreme working conditions via crunch and depending on the company severe hostile/harassment working conditions.  

I don't think there's anything paradoxical about it, unless you believe that all actions and thoughts are merely reduced to a binary of 1 and 0's .

Yes, these situations are not great and they are social issues that we should all be aware of. 

We will have to agree to disagree.  Not buying SNK because Saudi Prince is bad, while powering your electronics with Putin's energy....  is the very definition of a paradox. 

Chrkeller said:
twintail said:

We will have to agree to disagree.  Not buying SNK because Saudi Prince is bad, while powering your electronics with Putin's energy....  is the very definition of a paradox. 

Not really.  One of those things you have direct control over.  Where your electricity comes from depends almost entirely on where you live, and you have very little direct control.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (2014/2017)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
3DS - Pushmo (2011)
3DS - New Super Mario Bros. 2 (2012)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links

theRepublic said:
Chrkeller said:

Not really.  One of those things you have direct control over.  Where your electricity comes from depends almost entirely on where you live, and you have very little direct control.

You very much have control over how much power you use.....  new consoles like a ps5 use a ton of power.  It is a choice to a large degree.  And many electronics come from sweatshirt factories with child labor.    

Either way, people are entitled to their opinion.  Most products are shady in their manufacturing.  SNK isn't in a new situation.

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
theRepublic said:

You very much have control over how much power you use.....  new consoles like a ps5 use a ton of power.  It is a choice to a large degree.  And many electronics come from sweatshirt factories with child labor.    

Either way, people are entitled to their opinion.  Most products are shady in their manufacturing.  SNK isn't in a new situation.

That doesn't mean we should just sit down and take it like you infer.

Chrkeller said:
theRepublic said:

HVAC and large appliances use way more energy.  And don't think I didn't notice the subtle shifting of the goal posts.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (2014/2017)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
3DS - Pushmo (2011)
3DS - New Super Mario Bros. 2 (2012)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links

theRepublic said:
Chrkeller said:

HVAC and large appliances use way more energy.  And don't think I didn't notice the subtle shifting of the goal posts.

Actually a ps5 uses more power than some large appliances such as a freezer, dishwasher, clothes washer.  You would be surprised at how much power a ps5 uses.  Add in having to power a TV as well, maybe even some speakers.  Gaming has  significant power consumption. 

And there is no shift of goals.  Most of our products have shady background.  SNK isn't a new situation.

And how people respond is their decision.

https://ecocostsavings.com/ps5-electricity-cost/#ps5-power-consumption-breakdown

It isn't my fault if you would prefer not to know the truth of things that are in fact decisions.

This whole conversations reminds me of people who drive hybrid cars claiming they are good stewards of the planet....  despite they are eating tons of red meat...  but alas, if picking a single battle and ignoring all the other issues makes somebody feel like a hero, well done!

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 14 April 2022

Chrkeller said:
theRepublic said:

Actually a ps5 uses more power than some large appliances such as a freezer, dishwasher, clothes washer.  You would be surprised at how much power a ps5 uses.  Add in having to power a TV as well, maybe even some speakers.  Gaming has  significant power consumption. 

And there is no shift of goals.  Most of our products have shady background.  SNK isn't a new situation.

https://ecocostsavings.com/ps5-electricity-cost/#ps5-power-consumption-breakdown

It isn't my fault if you would prefer not to know the truth of things that are in fact decisions.

This whole conversations reminds me of people who drive hybrid cars claiming they are good stewards of the planet....  despite they are eating tons of red meat...  but alas, if picking a single battle and ignoring all the other issues makes somebody feel like a hero, well done!

But you did shift the goal posts.
He claimed that whether or not to buy SNK is a choice you can easily make whereas you can't help where your country of origin buys fuel for power generation. You responded by saying that you can affect how much energy you use, which isn't the same thing at all. With SNK it's a simple yes/no choice on a luxury item that is fully within your power but for the fuel you cannot choose where it is purchased from and must use some of it to maintain a normal life, it is neither a luxury item nor a choice fully within your control.
Attempting to dismiss a moral choice on the grounds that 'other things are bad too' is a hollow self-justification for not caring.

psychicscubadiver said:
Chrkeller said:

But you did shift the goal posts.
He claimed that whether or not to buy SNK is a choice you can easily make whereas you can't help where your country of origin buys fuel for power generation. You responded by saying that you can affect how much energy you use, which isn't the same thing at all. With SNK it's a simple yes/no choice on a luxury item that is fully within your power but for the fuel you cannot choose where it is purchased from and must use some of it to maintain a normal life, it is neither a luxury item nor a choice fully within your control.
Attempting to dismiss a moral choice on the grounds that 'other things are bad too' is a hollow self-justification for not caring.

Gaming by default is luxury.  And look I don't see the point in going on for pages and pages.  Gaming is a luxury which has bad/shady impact to a wide variety of areas.  I was simply pointing that out, not claiming people shouldn't care.  And electricity consumption is a choice, especially when it relates to luxury items, which gaming is.