By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch and PS5 Sales Drop, XS Sales are Flat - Global Hardware Jan 30-Feb 5

Just because there's backed up demand and online hype for the PS5, doesn't mean that will necessarily translate to actual sales when supply is tight. Also, just because sales in a region are up, doesn't mean they'll be up globally; it could be stock allocated from elsewhere.


Xbox can at least get the Series S on shelves, while Nintendo aren't restricted to high end components. (Though the OLED is still feeling the squeeze to a lesser extent)

Last edited by curl-6 - on 16 February 2022

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network

Share the article here.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs Switch 2022 Sales Comparison Charts Through February 5

Here we see data representing the global sales through to consumers and change in sales performance of the three current platforms (PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch) and three legacy platforms (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo 3DS) over comparable periods for 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022. Also shown is the market share for each of the consoles over the same periods.

Year to Date Sales Comparison (Same Periods Covered)

Market Share (Same Periods Covered)

2019 – (Week ending January 12 to February 9)

2020 – (Week ending January 11 to February 8)

2021 – (Week ending January 9 to February 6)

2022 – (Week ending January 8 to February 5)

"Year to date" sales for 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022 sales are shown in series at the top of the table and then just below a comparison of 2022 versus 2021 and 2022 versus 2020 is displayed.  This provides an easy-to-view summary of all the data.

Total Sales and Market Share for Each Year

Microsoft

  • Xbox Series X|S – Up Year-on-Year 242,682 (48.8%)
  • Xbox One – Down Year-on-Year 121,271 (-91.6%)

Nintendo

  • Nintendo Switch - Down Year-on-Year 263,135 (-13.2%)

Sony

  • PlayStation 5 – Down Year-on-Year 6,732 (-0.8%)
  • PlayStation 4 – Down Year-on-Year 327,906 (-79.8%)


VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

RolStoppable said:
Pionner said:  


If you're going to base PS5 weekly numbers on the 2M estimate, then vgchartz will be doing some major adjustments in the coming weeks, months, leading up to the next financial report.

I don't think VGC has to worry about making adjustments because that's what constantly happens. "PS5 sales should be higher" has been a common theme through most of 2021, but the single-biggest adjustment to PS5 sales ended up being a downward adjustment.

Using Sony's 2m forecast is certainly a better point of reference for global sales than observing restocks in a single country. The few official sales numbers and tidbits we got from January suggest that Sony has been focusing on the USA early in the year while leaving parts of Europe dry. But there's no guarantee that that will be Sony's strategy through the entire quarter.

They were suppose to ship 6.5M PS5 in the holiday quarter. Which would of brought the PS5 to over 20M sold. We all know why that didn't happen and they only managed to sell 3.9M. That was out of Sony's control so i don't why you're bringing that up as if PS5 sales were down because of demand or something. PS5 sales should of been higher based off demand and Sony's sales estimates. So that "common theme" is correct.        

I like how everybody is ignoring January where sales estimates, from everyone, were completely off. Again, nobody expected PS5 to sell the most. "Low stock" and "shortages" didn't matter. Those 3 restocks were more than enough for PS5. SS is always in stock and it couldn't make up for lack of SX sales. Which tells that the demand for that console is not there.

Using the 2M forecast is a terrible point of reference to base weekly sales on cause if Sony ships just 500K more by March 31st then weekly sales estimates will be out of whack.

January sales should teach people enough.         



Formerly ilovegirls69  :(

Pionner said:
RolStoppable said:

I don't think VGC has to worry about making adjustments because that's what constantly happens. "PS5 sales should be higher" has been a common theme through most of 2021, but the single-biggest adjustment to PS5 sales ended up being a downward adjustment.

Using Sony's 2m forecast is certainly a better point of reference for global sales than observing restocks in a single country. The few official sales numbers and tidbits we got from January suggest that Sony has been focusing on the USA early in the year while leaving parts of Europe dry. But there's no guarantee that that will be Sony's strategy through the entire quarter.

They were suppose to ship 6.5M PS5 in the holiday quarter. Which would of brought the PS5 to over 20M sold. We all know why that didn't happen and they only managed to sell 3.9M. That was out of Sony's control so i don't why you're bringing that up as if PS5 sales were down because of demand or something. PS5 sales should of been higher based off demand and Sony's sales estimates. So that "common theme" is correct.        

I like how everybody is ignoring January where sales estimates, from everyone, were completely off. Again, nobody expected PS5 to sell the most. "Low stock" and "shortages" didn't matter. Those 3 restocks were more than enough for PS5. SS is always in stock and it couldn't make up for lack of SX sales. Which tells that the demand for that console is not there.

Using the 2M forecast is a terrible point of reference to base weekly sales on cause if Sony ships just 500K more by March 31st then weekly sales estimates will be out of whack.

January sales should teach people enough.         

I brought it up because demand is a worthless metric when we all know that supply is constrained. That's why all the cries for "PS5 sales should be higher" by VGC's estimates were ultimately wrong.

In January the PS5 finished in third place in the UK with its sales being down year over year. In Spain, a country where PS typically outsells Xbox by a ratio of 7:1 or something like that, the PS5 was neck and neck with XSX|S sales in January. The two European countries we got official data from tell us that Sony strongly prioritized the USA in January.

Nobody expected the PS5 to sell the most in the USA in January, but at the same time nobody expected it to sell on abysmal Xbox levels in Spain either. The sales numbers we got so far do not suggest that Sony will comfortably beat their forecast of 2m ("comfortably beat" defined as by 500k or more), so tossing the forecast aside as a reference point makes no sense at this point in time.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

trunkswd said:
Mummelmann said:

I haven't seen a Series X or PS5 in a store here in Stockholm since they were released, same story online. Now that I'm actually looking for one, I find it quite annoying.

That has been pretty much the situation worldwide for the PS5 and Series X since launch. 

Yep and I am at a point where I have close to loosing interest and won't end up buying either. Will just push me back to PC gaming.



 

 

Around the Network

Share the article here.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs Switch Launch Sales Comparison Through Week 65

This weekly mini-series compares the aligned launch sales of the PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch.

It should be noted the Nintendo Switch and Xbox Series X|S had a worldwide launch, while the PlayStation 5 launch was split over the course of two weeks. Also, the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017, while the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S launched during the holidays in November 2020.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Global:

  1. PS5: 17,803,598
  2. Switch: 17,112,199
  3. XSX|S: 12,529,743

Through the first 65 weeks available worldwide the PlayStation 5 is ahead of the Nintendo Switch and Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Switch by 0.69 million units units and is 5.27 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 4.58 million units.

The PS5 has sold 17.80 million in 65 weeks worldwide, while the Switch sold 17.11 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 12.53 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 65 weeks, the PS5 is in the lead. The PS5 has a 37.5 percent marketshare, the Switch sits at 36.1 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 26.4 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch US:

  1. PS5: 6,658,686
  2. Switch: 6,044,858
  3. XSX|S: 5,995,683

Through the first 65 weeks available in the US the PlayStation 5 is ahead of the Nintendo Switch and Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Switch by 0.61 million units and is 0.66 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 0.05 million units.

The PS5 has sold 6.66 million in 65 weeks in the US, while the Switch sold 6.04 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 6.00 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 65 weeks, the Switch currently leads. The PS5 has a 35.6 percent marketshare, the Switch sits at 32.3 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 32.1 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Europe (64 weeks):

  1. PS5: 6,728,775
  2. Switch: 4,400,693
  3. XSX|S: 3,795,918

The PlayStation 5 has been available for one week less than the Xbox Series X|S in Europe. After 64 weeks the PS5 is ahead of the Switch by 2.33 million units and is 2.93 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 0.60 million units.

The PS5 has sold 6.73 million in 64 weeks in Europe, while the Switch sold 4.40 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 3.80 million units. 

Looking at the marketshare through 64 weeks, the PlayStation 5 currently leads. The PS5 has a 45.1 percent marketshare, the Switch sits at 29.5 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 25.4 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Japan:

  1. Switch: 4,330,570
  2. PS5: 1,359,006
  3. XSX|S: 144,159

Through the first 65 weeks available in Japan the Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S by a wide margin. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 2.97 million units and is 4.19 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 1.21 million units.

The Switch has sold 4.33 million units in 65 weeks in Japan, while the PS5 has sold 1.36 million units, and the Xbox Series X|S 0.14 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 65 weeks, the Switch currently leads. The Switch has a 74.2 percent marketshare, the PS5 sits at 23.3 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 2.5 percent.



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Xbox Series being nearly 50% up year over year is damn impressive stuff, especially when its main rival is slightly down.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:

Xbox Series being nearly 50% up year over year is damn impressive stuff, especially when its main rival is slightly down.

Xbox had a late start to it’s production of the Series X/S so early last year had worse supply issues than this year.



jason1637 said:
curl-6 said:

Xbox Series being nearly 50% up year over year is damn impressive stuff, especially when its main rival is slightly down.

Xbox had a late start to it’s production of the Series X/S so early last year had worse supply issues than this year.

Not to mention the server blades for xCloud.

Probably shifted more production towards series S too. 50/50 split.



So in the end 2021 didn't quite surpass 50m but it got quite close and 2022 has the potential to depending largely on how down the Switch ends up being. And the PS5 and Xbox Series being close for a while will do well to make these threads more entertaining for the time being.