By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - GT7 state of play 2nd feb (30 min deep dive)

Tagged games:

Looks like Gran Turismo again, I'm really, really loving the look and feel of this. I found GT Sport incredibly boring since I have no interest in online racing (or, indeed, online gaming much at all). My favorite part was when they tuned the VW Beetle; it appears to have received an engine swap. You will see that the 1.2-liter original engine is gone in favor of a 3.8-liter six-cylinder (flat-six, likely from a Porsche). This indicates that engine swaps might actually be a thing in GT7, which would be huge. Just seeing proper tuning again after the abomination that they called tuning in GT Sport is so nice.

Overall, I'm very positive based on what I've seen so far, it's back to the roots. And, at long last, it would seem that fixed the engine noises. Can't wait!



Around the Network
Mummelmann said:

Looks like Gran Turismo again, I'm really, really loving the look and feel of this. I found GT Sport incredibly boring since I have no interest in online racing (or, indeed, online gaming much at all). My favorite part was when they tuned the VW Beetle; it appears to have received an engine swap. You will see that the 1.2-liter original engine is gone in favor of a 3.8-liter six-cylinder (flat-six, likely from a Porsche). This indicates that engine swaps might actually be a thing in GT7, which would be huge. Just seeing proper tuning again after the abomination that they called tuning in GT Sport is so nice.

Overall, I'm very positive based on what I've seen so far, it's back to the roots. And, at long last, it would seem that fixed the engine noises. Can't wait!

They should also include a comparison with all parts equal but changing the tunning of the gears, brake and whatnot to show how different the car handle and speed difference.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:

They should also include a comparison with all parts equal but changing the tunning of the gears, brake and whatnot to show how different the car handle and speed difference.

Yesterday had the road to GT first round with tuning allowed (power and weight locked by BoP, rest fair game)

The GT40 was the meta car. I don't know much about tuning and don't have the patience to tweak, run a few leaps, tweak again etc. So I just changed the top gear to just above the top speed I was reaching on the track so the gears are scaled correctly. (Stock it wouldn't get to 5th car on the track cause the engine power was cut to 71% by BoP)

Thus I was 3 sec per lap slower to people with fully tuned versions (either copied it somewhere or tweaked themselves) and already 2 sec per lap faster to people that didn't change the gearing, easily out accelerating them.

You can tune everything, but I hope GT7 leaves it out of sport mode. Every time tuning is allowed in GT Sport it just turns into a one make where the best tunes compete against each other. It's more fun to compete on race craft than on spreadsheet craft.



SvennoJ said:
DonFerrari said:

They should also include a comparison with all parts equal but changing the tunning of the gears, brake and whatnot to show how different the car handle and speed difference.

Yesterday had the road to GT first round with tuning allowed (power and weight locked by BoP, rest fair game)

The GT40 was the meta car. I don't know much about tuning and don't have the patience to tweak, run a few leaps, tweak again etc. So I just changed the top gear to just above the top speed I was reaching on the track so the gears are scaled correctly. (Stock it wouldn't get to 5th car on the track cause the engine power was cut to 71% by BoP)

Thus I was 3 sec per lap slower to people with fully tuned versions (either copied it somewhere or tweaked themselves) and already 2 sec per lap faster to people that didn't change the gearing, easily out accelerating them.

You can tune everything, but I hope GT7 leaves it out of sport mode. Every time tuning is allowed in GT Sport it just turns into a one make where the best tunes compete against each other. It's more fun to compete on race craft than on spreadsheet craft.

I remember using copy of tweaks on some challenges of GT5, it really made big difference.

And well if we are talking about real racing tweaking is a part of it, but perhaps leave that to less than a half of the events or just the FIA races.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:

I remember using copy of tweaks on some challenges of GT5, it really made big difference.

And well if we are talking about real racing tweaking is a part of it, but perhaps leave that to less than a half of the events or just the FIA races.

I would say, leave it to online time trials.

Since upcoming races are posted in advance, the best car and tune has already been determined days before the races come up. Hence the fast rooms are nearly always one makes. Allowing tuning just adds an extra step, everyone copying the best tune while widening the gap with non meta cars.

It's a part of racing, but in real racing every car is slightly different and tuning is actually adjusting real parts. In GT Sport everyone has an exact digital copy, identical cars, identical tunes do exactly the same thing unlike in real racing. One team copying the tuning setup of another team won't work very well. But in GT Sport everyone ends up with the same thing in the end.

So cut out the extra step, focus on better balancing the car line up so we get less races that turn into one makes from the day they open. Make it possible for more cars to compete for the top spot. Racing is more fun when cars with different strengths can both manage the same lap times, then you can fully compete on race craft and get more dynamic races. (Instead of just following each other until a car ahead makes a mistake)



Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
DonFerrari said:

I remember using copy of tweaks on some challenges of GT5, it really made big difference.

And well if we are talking about real racing tweaking is a part of it, but perhaps leave that to less than a half of the events or just the FIA races.

I would say, leave it to online time trials.

Since upcoming races are posted in advance, the best car and tune has already been determined days before the races come up. Hence the fast rooms are nearly always one makes. Allowing tuning just adds an extra step, everyone copying the best tune while widening the gap with non meta cars.

It's a part of racing, but in real racing every car is slightly different and tuning is actually adjusting real parts. In GT Sport everyone has an exact digital copy, identical cars, identical tunes do exactly the same thing unlike in real racing. One team copying the tuning setup of another team won't work very well. But in GT Sport everyone ends up with the same thing in the end.

So cut out the extra step, focus on better balancing the car line up so we get less races that turn into one makes from the day they open. Make it possible for more cars to compete for the top spot. Racing is more fun when cars with different strengths can both manage the same lap times, then you can fully compete on race craft and get more dynamic races. (Instead of just following each other until a car ahead makes a mistake)

If it is FIA ranked races then I don`t think people would share their settings so freely.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Today Sophy was demonstrated, really impressive AI stuff
https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gran-turismo-sophy/
It won't be ready for release but will make an appearance later to challenge and coach players.



Hopefully they tone it down a bit, very aggressive driving!

4 AI drivers against 4 pro drivers, including the world champion.

Last edited by SvennoJ - on 09 February 2022

SvennoJ said:

Today Sophy was demonstrated, really impressive AI stuff
https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gran-turismo-sophy/
It won't be ready for release but will make an appearance later to challenge and coach players.



Hopefully they tone it down a bit, very aggressive driving!

4 AI drivers against 4 pro drivers, including the world champion.

It'll be terrifying.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucq0a_nM3J4



the-pi-guy said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucq0a_nM3J4

great video and analysis, and i disagree people wouldn't notice if consoles were swapped and forza 8 gone ps5 and gt7 go series x. the type of gameplay and content is quite different. on visuals though i can believe they will be quite close. after all they use real world cars and tracks for the most part.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."