By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch Sales Top 101M, PS5 Tops 17M - Global Hardware Dec 19 to 25

Dulfite said:
curl-6 said:

Not to undermine the Wii's achievement but it's also very noteworthy that while it took the Wii over 6 years to reach 100 million, Switch got there in well under 5.

It really puts Switch's performance into perspective that it's selling so much faster than even one of the highest selling consoles of all time.

Demographics are important, not to be a downer. There were ~ 7 billion people in 2011 at the end of the Wii, whereas 2023 is projected to have ~ 8 billion. So, Switch got to the milestone of 100 million sold 17% faster, but will end up having 12.5% more people to sell to. And that's just the general numbers, take into account that as older generations die out, more % of the population will have played video games in their life, and the people born now will be a lot easier to get into gaming than old people in 2011 were, so it's only going to get easier and easier to crush previous records. Not until every generation, even 80 year olds, have played video games, will we get to a point where things balance out, and even then if the population continues to rise the consumer base will as well. Demographic advantages for sure.

Most of that population growth is in parts of the world where Nintendo doesn't have much reach though, like poor developing nations.

Not saying the Switch doesn't have an advantage, but I think most of the difference comes from it being able to tap into the portable market rather than demographic changes in the world's population.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 11 January 2022

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Dulfite said:

Demographics are important, not to be a downer. There were ~ 7 billion people in 2011 at the end of the Wii, whereas 2023 is projected to have ~ 8 billion. So, Switch got to the milestone of 100 million sold 17% faster, but will end up having 12.5% more people to sell to. And that's just the general numbers, take into account that as older generations die out, more % of the population will have played video games in their life, and the people born now will be a lot easier to get into gaming than old people in 2011 were, so it's only going to get easier and easier to crush previous records. Not until every generation, even 80 year olds, have played video games, will we get to a point where things balance out, and even then if the population continues to rise the consumer base will as well. Demographic advantages for sure.

Most of that population growth is in parts of the world where Nintendo doesn't have much reach though, like poor developing nations.

Not saying the Switch doesn't have an advantage, but I think most of the difference comes from it being able to tap into the portable market rather than demographic changes in the world's population.

The general growth was only a portion of what I said. The bigger factor is a percentage of our population is dying that never played video games or will ever and are being replaced by babies that will grow up into kids that play games in some form. That trend will continue for the next 30-40 years until every generation alive will have played video games at some point.

Dulfite said:
curl-6 said:

The general growth was only a portion of what I said. The bigger factor is a percentage of our population is dying that never played video games or will ever and are being replaced by babies that will grow up into kids that play games in some form. That trend will continue for the next 30-40 years until every generation alive will have played video games at some point.

In most of the developed world, which makes up the vast majority of Nintendo's sales base, people have been living longer and having fewer children for some time now, so we have an ageing population, somewhat reducing the trend you refer to as those elderly are not dying as soon as they used to while fewer young people are coming in.

Again, that's not to say the Switch doesn't have an advantage, I just don't think it's primarily due to population growth.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:

Not to undermine the Wii's achievement but it's also very noteworthy that while it took the Wii over 6 years to reach 100 million, Switch got there in well under 5.

It really puts Switch's performance into perspective that it's selling so much faster than even one of the highest selling consoles of all time.

This might be a hot take, but it’s fine “undermining” the Wii’s achievement. In my opinion it was Nintendo’s worst console they ever released and the knock on effects of its sales success set the games industry back years. The motion controls were genuinely a gimmick, and I remember the first time I used them being incredibly underwhelmed. 

The Switch is not a gimmick, and didn’t rely on baseless hype and curiosity to move units. It’s a good product that made savvy innovations that improved the market as a whole. That’s why it’s selling faster and going to have longer legs. 

aTokenYeti said:
curl-6 said:

This might be a hot take, but it’s fine “undermining” the Wii’s achievement. In my opinion it was Nintendo’s worst console they ever released and the knock on effects of its sales success set the games industry back years. The motion controls were genuinely a gimmick, and I remember the first time I used them being incredibly underwhelmed.

The Switch is not a gimmick, and didn’t rely on baseless hype and curiosity to move units. It’s a good product that made savvy innovations that improved the market as a whole. That’s why it’s selling faster and going to have longer legs. 

See I'd completely disagree regarding the Wii, I found it to be a wonderful console that absolutely deserved the hype and sales, and motion controls are for me one of the best innovations in gaming history. For me it's second only to the SNES as Nintendo's greatest system to date.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 11 January 2022

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Actually 7 years. The Wii didn’t hit 100 million until it turned 7, November 30th, 2013. Exactly 1 year after the Wii U launch. 

https://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/41609/Global/

But I agree, it’s not exactly the best way to look at the Wii numbers because a year earlier, December 1, 2012, the Wii was already at almost 100 million.

https://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/41245/Global/

Perhaps the best way to look at Switch and Wii side by side is to look at where the Wii was relative to the Switch’s current numbers: The Switch sold 100 million units in about 4 years and 10 months. The Wii, sold about 88 million in the same time span: https://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/40818/Global/

Where the Wii shines strongest is its first three years where it remains the fastest selling console in history. It wasn’t until around the 3.5 year mark that it had slowed down enough… or rather, DS and Switch had sped up enough, to have any system surpass it.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

With UK numbers for December out now I will work on UK adjustments to match the available data. Then I will post the last week of December estimates.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

curl-6 said:
aTokenYeti said:

See I'd completely disagree regarding the Wii, I found it to be a wonderful console that absolutely deserved the hype and sales, and motion controls are for me one of the best innovations in gaming history. For me it's second only to the SNES as Nintendo's greatest system to date.

Pretty close to my favourites too. My top tier consoles ever are SNES, PSX, Wii, and Switch. I played DS a ton in its time, but I still play SNES, Wii, and PSX games regularly to this day. I can’t say that about any other console even though I dip into Mega Drive and NES from time to time, DS and GBA less frequently, I recently played FE: Blazing Blade and Ace Attorney.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
curl-6 said:

Pretty close to my favourites too. My top tier consoles ever are SNES, PSX, Wii, and Switch. I played DS a ton in its time, but I still play SNES, Wii, and PSX games regularly to this day. I can’t say that about any other console even though I dip into Mega Drive and NES from time to time, DS and GBA less frequently, I recently played FE: Blazing Blade and Ace Attorney.

I see you are a man of fine taste. ;) SNES, Wii, PS1 and Switch are all among my top consoles as well. I have so many wonderful memories with the first three and still revisit them now and then, while the Switch is on track to quite possibly pass them all and become my pick for best console of all time at the rate it's going.

Hardware for week 1, 2022 ( January 8) won't be posted until Tuesday or later. I am waiting on NPD figures to make necessary adjustments for December first, which will come out on Tuesday.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.