By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation VR2 | OT | PC support 2024

Tagged games:

hinch said:

IGN did a comparison between different VR headsets - https://www.ign.com/articles/psvr2-vs-oculus-quest-2-valve-index-comparison-specs

What that comparison tells me is that Quest 2 is an impressive piece of hardware. That small field of view is a big detractor. But other than that, it sounds pretty awesome.

Around the Network

Specs sound nice. But specs where not the reason I skiped the first one. Appealing games is. That horizon trailer looked good. Lets see what else comes out.

P.S. I would love for house of the dead to make a comeback for VR.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

If that is true then I am expecting a 500 dollar price tag. And I expect Sony to be losing money on each sale of VR2. In my personal opinion I am willing to pay as long as they push the tech to the limits. If there is no need for cameras and if its really 4k HDR with all those extras and if its comfortable then I'm sold.

SegaHeart said:

Other VR like Oculus contributed in the VR market , I thank them for that. PSVR2 gonna definitely sell better than PSVR1 , this will get alot of VR fans from Oculus to buy PSVR2 aswell , not all Oculus rift fans just some . and they'll have both . VR gaming continues.

Highly doubt it, first of all there's ps5 shortages, then it will be way more expensive, most fans from oculus dont even own a ps5.

With that said I really dont care how much it sells, I only care for quality games, as long as I can have it, I really dont care about anyone else.

VAMatt said:
hinch said:

IGN did a comparison between different VR headsets - https://www.ign.com/articles/psvr2-vs-oculus-quest-2-valve-index-comparison-specs

What that comparison tells me is that Quest 2 is an impressive piece of hardware. That small field of view is a big detractor. But other than that, it sounds pretty awesome.

Yeah its a great product and not only for the price (which is super impressive) at $300 with those specs and hardware. Other headsets will be more costly as Metaverse can subsidize their stuff with advertisements and data.

PSVR2 is big upgrade though with 4K HDR compatible OLED screens, significantly higher FOV and eye tracking and controller features like advanced haptics and adaptive triggers. Quest 3 should be see a similar update this year for the headset.

Around the Network

Sounds pretty cool. It would be nice if it was wireless, though.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Yep its a pretty big omission. With PSVR2 being the first VR unit with HDR. It being OLED as well, the motion handling will be so much better as with the contrast. Iirc Quest 2 and Index both use IPS LCD panels which only have very limited contrast (usually around 1000:1 native) vs practically infinite contrast of OLEDs. And that's not even factoring in HDR.

Last edited by hinch - on 09 January 2022

One cord isn't a big deal. This Christmas I had to buy two of my kids PS VR systems. They have these damn cables everywhere. I will be glad to be down to one cord

Ask stefl1504 for a sig, even if you don't need one.

d21lewis said:
DonFerrari said:

If you order on Sony customer relationship they send you and adapter for PSVR to use on PS5, and you can play the PS4 VR games on it, not sure if there is any that isn't compatible.

I'm hoping I can use my old games with the new headset. Maybe even with better performance.

Still can't get my hands on a PS5 but if possible, I'd love to get that adapter now. I know I'm getting the console sooner rather than later.

There was a rumor late October, Sony won't confirm nor deny
https://www.psu.com/news/rumor-psvr-2-will-be-backwards-compatible-with-psvr-games/

https://www.gfinityesports.com/vr/psvr-2-backwards-compatibility-no-comment/

It's probably the same as ps4 BC on ps5. Sony was very hesitant in confirming anything there as well. Might work, not all games etc. I haven't found any games that didn't work seamlessly. (Apart from save game transfers) So I guess, Sony is just holding off until they can say at least 90% of the PSVR catalog works on PSVR2.

There is little reason why it shouldn't work. The new controllers offer more options, not less. And headset tracking should have been abstract already, doesn't matter if it comes from outside in or inside out tracking. The hurdle is probably the same one as confirming ps4 BC, some games might not fully work.

Comparing the step up from PSVR to PSVR2

960x1080 per eye to 2000x2040 per eye, almost 4x increase in resolution.
FOV 90 to 110, average pixel density of 10.7 per degree to 18.2 per degree,
Comparable to 320x360 to 540x560 on a screen that fills 30 degrees of your fov.

Those are low estimates as pixel density is higher in the center of the screen thanks to the pincushion effect from the lenses, plus stereo view creates the illusion of higher resolution output. Your brain adds the two images up, complimenting each other. So while PSVR felt like 480p gaming at best, PSVR2 will feel like 720p gaming in the least.

Most exciting is the addition of eye tracking, making foveated rendering possible. While PSVR games looked more like PS2 games, PSVR2 with eye tracking should be able to match ps4 pro visuals in VR. Opening the door for easier co-existence with full PS5 games, as in less downgrades needed to get it to run in VR. Most games already target 60 fps this gen which also makes it a lot easier. No more DriveClub type downgrades.

Day one for me, can I pre-order yet.