By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation VR2 | OT | PC support 2024

Tagged games:

PPI doesn't mean much, you need to compare pixels per degree. Resolution divided by fov is the clarity you get. Higher PPI just means the screen is smaller, meaningless when you put a lens in front of it blowing it up to 110 degrees fov.

It just means the headset can be smaller since the screen is smaller.

What does matter is whether it's RGB stripe or Pentile (RGBG) display. Afaik both Quest 2 and PSVR2 have RGB stripe, same.
OLED is the big difference, allowing for HDR with absolute blacks.

Around the Network

We are approaching the 2nd generation of VR devices with good high res displays, higher fov and refresh rates. 3rd gen will be about miniaturization and comfort.

the-pi-guy said:
twintail said:

The listed article completely messes up the PPI for PSVR, Quest 2.

>To put things in perspective, the original PSVR provided a PPI density of 386 for the entire display panel. Effectively, that means 193 PPI per eye if we're doing basic math.

They split the resolution in half, without splitting the screen in half. 

PSVR1: 960 (half resolution) / 2.5" (half display) = 384

PSVR2: 2000 / 2.5" = 800

If the display is higher than 800 PPI, it means the screen is smaller than the current one.

SvennoJ said:

PPI doesn't mean much, you need to compare pixels per degree. Resolution divided by fov is the clarity you get. Higher PPI just means the screen is smaller, meaningless when you put a lens in front of it blowing it up to 110 degrees fov.

It just means the headset can be smaller since the screen is smaller.

What does matter is whether it's RGB stripe or Pentile (RGBG) display. Afaik both Quest 2 and PSVR2 have RGB stripe, same.
OLED is the big difference, allowing for HDR with absolute blacks.

Yeah. Quest 2 is LCD, so it's RGB. 

PSVR2 having an RGB stripe is still unconfirmed, but I would be surprised if it wasn't the case.

Ah, I thought I read somewhere it was RGB, it would indeed be a surprise if it's RGBG instead

Anyway pixels per degree is what matters

Quest2 is 1832x1080 per eye at 104 degrees FOV, which is 17.6 pixels per degree (horizontal)
PSVR is 960x1080 per eye at 96 degrees FOV horizontal, which is 10 pixels per degree (horizontal)
PSVR2 is 2000x2040 per eye at about 110 degrees FOV, which is 18.1 pixels per degree.

No exact measurements yet on horizontal FOV for PSVR2 but it seems it will be the same as Quest2 or slightly higher. Since PSVR2 has slightly higher resolution it will also look slightly more detailed. But it's close. The OLED display will make a much bigger difference.

PSVR 1 also used OLED RGB so pretty safe to assume PSVR2 will be RGB as well.

the-pi-guy said:

That consultant follows up and says that the display is RGB.

Probably the best confirmation we get until there is a hands on.

I would say there is no good reason to going for the pentile since it is mostly recognized as inferior in quality since PSVR2 from all we know doesn`t have an issue with battery life and is something that will be on a very big screen impression.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Good updates

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
twintail said:

2 new features:

Lens adjustment dial

Vent system to prevent screen fogging

Looks good! Good to see they are keeping the OG PSVR desing, it's, imho, the best headset in the mater of confort.

The anti-fog-vents should be really usefull. Great idea!

the-pi-guy said:
axumblade said:

hopefully it won't be as big of a wiry mess as the original PSVR.

It's just a single USB cable that plugs into the PS5.

No breakout box, no big mess of cords that go with it.

But there’s still a cable that can get in the way or make you trip when moving around. 

They sacrificed wireless to go for graphical fidelity. That being said, I’m not really sure that moving around is a good idea for the current mass market versions of VR. So many accidents have been documented (albeit mild ones… like all those flat screens now resting in peace), so I think the right approach for now, for the wider market (not enthusiast), is one that have you either sit or be in a standing position that don’t require you to move around the room. In which case, a single wire such as this shouldn’t be that much of a nuisance. I personally always play VR titles while sitting on my couch, so the cord from the PSVR never really bothered me. I just make sure it’s secured behind me but loose enough that I have enough room to move without it hindering my motions and I’m good to go.

The fact that you just need to plug it into the USB-C port of the PS5 already makes it a huge step up over the first PSVR. 

Last edited by Hynad - on 22 February 2022

It looks good. Everything seems to be a improvement over PSVR 1.

Looks stylish and comfortable.
One cable is fine for me, since I prefer the seated mode in VR games.
I expect a price of $499 - $599.

Probably a day 1 buy