By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Article Downvotes should be removed - Yay or Nay?

Should down votes be removed?

YES!!! 22 27.16%

NO!!! 45 55.56%

Keep it but stop comments from being removed 14 17.28%

Total:81

One of my most down-voted posts was in an Activision Blizzard article where I said I was going to take advantage of the company's most recent stupid decisions and buy some of their stock as it plummeted. I thought it would be a good thought to get out there for people to maybe take a chance and make a little easy money.

Well I for one put my money where my mouth was and bought 80 shares at 59.38 dollars each. It did dip down lower to a low 57 dollars, but I had no idea where the bottom would be. It's now over 67 dollars and I'm up over 600 dollars, all less than 6 weeks time. Now I just have to figure out when to dump it.

None of this means I support Activision's past actions, it just means I saw an opportunity to turn a negative into a positive.

I'm curious to know if anyone else took advantage of the Blizzard situation?

Last edited by DroidKnight - on 30 December 2021

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Around the Network
Zippy6 said:
zero129 said:

Thats not true. Everyone wants them to be removed across threads you see people complaining about the broken down vote system that VGChartz has.

The only people who have posted in here to keep the down votes is people who have supporter status and clearly they are not going to want change.

But something is going to have to change as the system is just broke and giving supporters twice the voice or more of none supporters with such a small pool of active users is clearly a broken system and this site is one of the only ones that seems to have this system in place.

I think if a mod can remove the vote count from the top and have the people voting for it to be kept to have to post in this thread would be much better and a much clearer picture as i bet the amount of posts from users for it to be removed will far out number the clone accounts thats clearly manipulating the pull.

Its clear something is going to change and instead of you guys being so against it maybe give answers to how it can be fixed like VAMatt has been doing.

He is the only supporter in this thread that i have not seen give their own childish comments or cry about it being removed etc and instead has been trying to give his opinion on how it should be fixed.

There is no reason to complain when there is nothing you want to change. The people with an issue will always be the more vocal. Hate and disagreement are louder. The people voting no in this poll have no reason to try and convince others of their belief because their belief is clearly the more popular one. Regardless even counting the number of users in this thread that want them removed or not the amount is pretty 50/50 and not "Everyone wants them to be removed". Though the number of posts and the lengths people will go to say "yes" is more than the people that say no.

Now saying that everyone except one user that has posted an answer other than you want to here is making "childish comments and crying" is ridiculous. This post claiming exploitation, clone accounts and other people are crying has made you lose all credibility in this discussion. Clearly you are the one making childish comments because the poll hasn't turned out the way you wanted.

People crying that this is all about "Childish comments" in the Uncharted article, people crying how they will dump their supporter status if its removed, people bringing my posts from articles into this thread since im the op. Yep they are all so mature..

The vote count doesnt matter and if the mods look in the thread its far from split 50/50. And then we have you trying to act like the votes at the top cant easy be swayed with dup accounts, acting like you have nothing to be worried about and everyone else is childish who wants it removed or by pointing out how the votes dont matter. CGI already said something is going to change, the staff agree, the mods agree, the admins agree that this site doesnt have enough users to be giving people who pay more to have a voice or opinion that matters more then the ones who dont. This is one of the only sites i have been to that has such a system in place and its clear it doesnt work and is broken

The is plenty of other perks to being a supporter of this site other then having 2-5x voting power.

I didn't look through every post on this thread, but who is threatening to drop their "supporter status" if downvotes get removed?

Also it's pretty clear that your comments on the Uncharted movie article had some connection with putting this on the forum. You're also claiming that everyone wants the system gone, when clearly that's not the case. I like the system because it filters out the childish/trolling comments from the ones where people are actually interested in a discussion.

" My comments are getting buried !!! Its people with voting perks downvoting me abusing the system !!!"

But... But ... But people with voting perks CAN UPVOTE also.

" Oh really? They can upvote with the same number of voting power like when they down vote ?"

Yep my man !!!

" Omg !!! But but but why why why my comments continue to be buried !!!!???"

Hate to say this to you but no one with perks and probably no one with no perks upvote you ... You get way more downvotes than upvotes by people in this site.

" WHY OMG WHY ??????? "

CAUSE YOU MAKE SHITTY ASS COMMENTS THATS WHY?

sjdbrjamndjsn🤯🤯🤯🤯 mindblowing explosing gif !!!! 🤯🤯🤯🤯 jdndjdjdjjdjdjdj

" NO ONE WILL SEE MY SHITTY ASS COMMENTS OMGAHD "

Nah, bro , dont worry, we always click that plus simbol in there to see your shit comment and laugh !!!!

"FUCK YOU ALL !!! I AM GOING TO CREATE A THREAD TO DEMAND DOWNVOTES TO BE REMOVED !!! I AM A GENIUS"

" OH FUCK , I MADE A VOTE COUNT AND I AM LOSING WAHT I AM GOING TO DO???? "

" MODS MODS, TAKE AWAY THE VOTE COUNT THEY ARE TAKING ADVANTAGE OF IT, THEY HAVE BOTS, THEY HAVE DUPE ACCOUNTS, ITS THE SUPPORTER PEOPLE !!!!!!!!!!!! 😭😭😭😭😭😭"

Shhh lets hope mods are stupid and never realize that people saying yes can use their dupe accounts and bots too, lets hope they dont get that people in thw yes can abuse the system too🥵🥵🥵🥵🥵🥵🥵

I am probably one of the people here who has gaming opinions that are fairly out of sync with the general population and so I thought that I would share my thoughts on this. If this were a question of whether or not to introduce article down-voting that wasn't previously present, I would say no. Up+down-voting makes sense in political discourse but if it's just a person's opinion on something like gaming, up-voting only like what we have on the main forum is more than enough. A person's tastes in gaming are often a lot more personal than something like a political opinion where you are generally on one side of the aisle or the other and the down-voting feature kind of discourages complete honesty in favor of saying something that is popular with the crowd (unless you have really thick skin, which I do not).

That said, the up-voting and down-voting has been a feature in the articles ever since I first started frequenting this message board in 2014 and this community has kind of evolved around it. You kind of expect that your opinions are going to be heavily scrutinized if you post in that part of the message board and there are plenty of other places you can post your opinions if you want to have a bit less judgment. As a result, I would probably lean in favor of just leaving it as it is currently. No need to change something that isn't broken in my view.

That said, a change that I would recommend considering is having a person's posts in the articles count towards their total post count.  I think that members should get the same reward for posting there as in the main message board.

Last edited by Illusion - on 31 December 2021

Around the Network
Tridrakious said:

I didn't look through every post on this thread, but who is threatening to drop their "supporter status" if downvotes get removed?

Also it's pretty clear that your comments on the Uncharted movie article had some connection with putting this on the forum. You're also claiming that everyone wants the system gone, when clearly that's not the case. I like the system because it filters out the childish/trolling comments from the ones where people are actually interested in a discussion.

To italic this one here https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9346746

We have ClassicGamingWizzz Saying "HOLY FUCK only now i read the stuff about the perks , i hope you ready to refund the people who paid for these things 70 dolars for a year. The one who paid for my gold badge ? Bro i hope you get your money back."

@Bolded: I have been talking about this long before that Uncharted Article went up, I have seen other users saying how they wont post in Articles with how the Down Vote system is abused.

If supporters really cared about this site they would understand how the down vote system is turning people away from posting in Articles, they would understand it makes new users visiting this site turn away as they may not think its too active or that its too Toxic to people who dont have the same opinion as the echo champers the system is making in articles.

They would understand how them having more voting power then a normal user just doesnt work and is broken. The is other perks to being a supporter and anyone thats crying over losing 2-4x down votes shows they are the problem on this site not the solution.

Best thing i think is give them a limited number of up votes (So they will be wise with them as they will be worth more to them). Completely remove the Down votes just like it is on the forum.

Last edited by zero129 - on 31 December 2021

Tridrakious said:

Not sure if anyone will drop their supporter status over losing a downvoting perk, it would be incredibly sad if anyone did but CGW seemed to think that we would have to refund everyone if we did remove the Supporter perk, which to me, very much came across as an attempt to scare the Staff into not removing it.

I'm not sure about Zero's intentions in creating the thread but I think it's really irrelevant as it's worth discussing, folk have complained about the Supporter perk/downvote situation happening in articles before, most recently in the PC OT which Zero browses.

I'm not sure I would agree that the majority of downvoted comments in Articles are trolling either, I see a lot of simple differences of opinions being downvote bombed, besides, trolling is for the Moderators to deal with anyway. If by filter out you mean it placing the comments at the bottom, I think that would remain true even if we only had upvotes and people still clearly read the downvoted comments either way so is it really filtering much out? Lol.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:

"My comments are getting buried !!! Its people with voting perks downvoting me abusing the system !!!"

" Oh really? They can upvote with the same number of voting power like when they down vote ?"

Yep my man !!!

Hate to say this to you but no one with perks and probably no one with no perks upvote you ... You get way more downvotes than upvotes by people in this site.

" WHY OMG WHY ??????? "

Nah, bro , dont worry, we always click that plus simbol in there to see your shit comment and laugh !!!!

"FUCK YOU ALL !!! I AM GOING TO CREATE A THREAD TO DEMAND DOWNVOTES TO BE REMOVED !!! I AM A GENIUS"

" MODS MODS, TAKE AWAY THE VOTE COUNT THEY ARE TAKING ADVANTAGE OF IT, THEY HAVE BOTS, THEY HAVE DUPE ACCOUNTS, ITS THE SUPPORTER PEOPLE !!!!!!!!!!!! 😭😭😭😭😭😭"

Shhh lets hope mods are stupid and never realize that people saying yes can use their dupe accounts and bots too, lets hope they dont get that people in thw yes can abuse the system too🥵🥵🥵🥵🥵🥵🥵

Ease up on the trolling, it isn't helpful at all.

- Zero isn't the only one to complain about this stuff.

- People are much more likely to abuse the downvote system than an upvote system, a downvote barrage is more likely to put folk off from commenting than a upvote barrage, thus downvote system is more damaging to VGChartz than an upvote system, which is the difference, put it this way, a user who receives a downvote barrage is more likely to not comment than someone who loses a supporter perk.

- As I've said before, a user in the past did create 5 alts to abuse the voting system, I'm also fairly confident that two of the accounts with Supporter right now are alts, I have no doubt in believing the system is abused.

Illusion said:

I am probably one of the people here who has gaming opinions that are fairly out of sync with the general population and so I thought that I would share my thoughts on this. If this were a question of whether or not to introduce article down-voting that wasn't previously present, I would say no. Up+down-voting makes sense in political discourse but if it's just a person's opinion on something like gaming, up-voting only like what we have on the main forum is more than enough. A person's tastes in gaming are often a lot more personal than something like a political opinion where you are generally on one side of the aisle or the other and the down-voting feature kind of discourages complete honesty in favor of saying something that is popular with the crowd (unless you have really thick skin, which I do not).

That said, the up-voting and down-voting has been a feature in the articles ever since I first started frequenting this message board in 2014 and this community has kind of evolved around it. You kind of expect that your opinions are going to be heavily scrutinized if you post in that part of the message board and there are plenty of other places you can post your opinions if you want to have a bit less judgment. As a result, I would probably lean in favor of just leaving it as it is currently. No need to change something that isn't broken in my view.

That said, a change that I would recommend considering is having a person's posts in the articles count towards their total post count.  I think that members should get the same reward for posting there as in the main message board.

It is inherently broken Imo, due to the Supporter perk, no matter how it is used, folk shouldn't have extra voting power cause they paid extra.

Everyone ease up on the accusations too.

There seems to be two conflicting arguments going on here though and they're blending together when they should be separated.

1. Remove the downvote system.
  2. Remove the Supporter downvote perk.

Keeping 1 doesn't mean keeping 2, as it stands right now, the poll trends towards keeping the downvote system in place and I said I would go with what the community wanted but that doesn't mean keeping the Supporter perk, the community is already pretty divided on keeping the entire downvote system, I can't imagine there's much support for the perk.

As CGI said earlier in the thread, Staff is currently leaning towards keeping the upvote/downvote system in place but removing the Supporter perk in relation to downvotes, along with no longer hiding comments below a certain threshold, it's a middle-ground solution which I despite not liking the downvote system or the perk at all, would be fine with accepting.

But I'm sure they're reading other ideas too, so keep them coming.

Also I have to say that despite my worries about the upvote system in threads, I think it deserves a thread or something first to gauge how the community uses it before we take any action on it.

Is it used more to avoid useless "Agreed" posts or is it making users 'lazy' and not writing a reply at all because they can just slap a like on it? I'd like to know which way it trends towards because I've done the latter, a lot, lol.

I don't think it's something we should touch yet, coming to a solution for the downvote system is more important.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 31 December 2021

Ryuu96 said:
Tridrakious said:

Not sure if anyone will drop their supporter status over losing a downvoting perk, it would be incredibly sad if anyone did but CGW seemed to think that we would have to refund everyone if we did remove the Supporter perk, which to me, very much came across as an attempt to scare the Staff into not removing it.

I'm not sure about Zero's intentions in creating the thread but I think it's really irrelevant as it's worth discussing, folk have complained about the Supporter perk/downvote situation happening in articles before, most recently in the PC OT which Zero browses.

I'm not sure I would agree that the majority of downvoted comments in Articles are trolling either, I see a lot of simple differences of opinions being downvote bombed, besides, trolling is for the Moderators to deal with anyway. If by filter out you mean it placing the comments at the bottom, I think that would remain true even if we only had upvotes and people still clearly read the downvoted comments either way so is it really filtering much out? Lol.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:

"My comments are getting buried !!! Its people with voting perks downvoting me abusing the system !!!"

Yep my man !!!

" WHY OMG WHY ??????? "

Ease up on the trolling, it isn't helpful at all.

- Zero isn't the only one to complain about this stuff.

- People are much more likely to abuse the downvote system than an upvote system, a downvote barrage is more likely to put folk off from commenting than a upvote barrage, thus downvote system is more damaging to VGChartz than an upvote system, which is the difference, put it this way, a user who receives a downvote barrage is more likely to not comment than someone who loses a supporter perk.

- As I've said before, a user in the past did create 5 alts to abuse the voting system, I'm also fairly confident that two of the accounts with Supporter right now are alts, I have no doubt in believing the system is abused.

Illusion said:

It is inherently broken Imo, due to the Supporter perk, no matter how it is used, folk shouldn't have extra voting power cause they paid extra.

Zero is accusing people left and right, saying they have second accounts, saying people is using them to manipulate , putting words on people mouths, saying i am stalking him to downvote him lmao. Clearly as day he did this thread because he had his ego bruised because his comments are hidden , he didnt even knew he could click a button to show the hidden comments before making this thread.

I say it again, this should never been implemented and this was brought up by others in the past and mods gave it a flat out NO.