By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Article Downvotes should be removed - Yay or Nay?

Should down votes be removed?

YES!!! 22 27.16%

NO!!! 45 55.56%

Keep it but stop comments from being removed 14 17.28%

Total:81
zero129 said:
Bandorr said:

I assume you are referring to the "And this is why I went ps5 instead of Xbox this generation," comment from Victor that is -5 right now.

And your response "It almost sounds like your trying to convince yourself of your stance, so in this case MS must be doing something right " that is sitting at -8.

VIctor is explaining that HE doesn't miss most games. HE misses Halo. He has access to Ori, and doesn't care for Horizon. He will miss Elder scrolls and Fallout. So you trying to twist that to "Xbox has no games" just makes you look the fool.

And instead of responding to that you respond with a fairly obnoxious comment and end it with what I'm assuming is an odd smirk? Yet you wonder why your comment that adds no value, attempts to start a fight and generally comes off as douche gets downvoted?

And all this over two comments that are in the negative?

Wow. If thats your take from it clearly you didnt read the rest of his posts on that article. Not only do you take my post completely out of context (Along with trying to make his look better), So good job with doing what you where trying to say i was doing. Anyone can go to the article like i pointed out and see the full context of his posts and mine. My comment added value as he was clearly the one trying to start fights. "Xbox has nothing but Halo and Forza for a whole gen" in one post from him on that article. Or "PC and xbox gamers are not looking for great single player rpgs. Unless its wjrpg. Those would be a waste of money. They would sell really well on ps5 and switch."

Or "Microsoft would make more money by making that game for ps5, it would sell well on ps5, not at all on xbox, xbox gamers want forza and sports and call of duty, online stuff, ps5 owners want great single player games and also online."

"I've been hearing that story since the xbox series X launched over a year ago. Starfield is the only game that could come this year (I bet it will be pushed to 2023). " Or "PC is no home for neither Final fantasy or ubisoft games, assassins creed is usually not very well optimized for PC, and its understandable that these developers favour console as the PC is riddle with piracy." Or "Well it is not helping them. Where's VR for xbox? Where's the amazing game of the year level of exclusives? Where's the evolution in the controller such as adaptive triggers, haptic feedback, touchpad etc?
For a company with so much money, they seem to be on the cheap side."

You see a pattern from him here? (I could even keep going by adding more of his replys from that article here) clearly thats not console warring to you right?. My full reply after reading all that shit "It almost sounds like your trying to convince yourself of your stance, so in this case MS must be doing something right . Meanwhile everyone else is just enjoying their consoles (No matter what one they own) and their games. No matter the platform all of them have something for everyone.

Just to add context as your clearly here trying to make it look like i was the one posting in bad faith and trying to start fights.

Lets see.  First: Good job in actually putting work into your post. You didn't just whine about random things like the previous one. You put time and effort into getting the quotes. formatting them and explaining the. I'm proud of your ability to put the smallest amount of efforts into this. Also sub note - didn't know formatting had two t's in it. Thanks spellcheck for catching that.

Second: I have no clue what context you're using for "good faith" or "bad faith". A Comment is a comment. An opinion is an opinion. They are all subjective. None of them are objective. So there is no "faith" in upvoting or downvoting them. They are what YOU feel like you agree with, or disagree with.

Third: that didn't add context. It didn't add reason, logic, or need. The first comment is not needed. It makes you sound like an asshole. Smug behavior is not justified byd going "everyone else is enjoying their consoles" They aren't related. The first comment was not needed (I said it again).  It added nothing. It proved nothing. It justified no purpose.  You got downvoted for the pointlessness of that comment.

Had you made two comments the douche one and that "everyone else is enjoying their comments one" the second one I doubt would have gotten downvoted.  It tied the second one to the first one so they both got downvoted. Thus no matter what the second one said it wasn't going to make the first one look better.

It feels like you are under the belief that one (or two people) supporters are behind downvoting you.  Yet you can tell from your own thread that likely isn't true.  My first comment has 15 separate upvotes. Separate people, separate accounts etc. Just like your own poll shows.

Fourth: and? IF you object to the comments - report the comments.  IF that is isn't enough then send a message to a moderator and have a discussion with them.

It seems like you are mad that someone isn't getting banned while you are constantly getting banned.  That isn't a matter for this thread, for articles or for voting. It has to do with your behavior, and the mods.

Clearly I made a mistake and making both of these posts. You don't get it - you don't want to get it. So I'm out.

You are bound to love Earthbound.

Around the Network
Hiku said:
TalonMan said:

Edit: Immediately after I posted this, I'll note that the comment right before mine supports my "theory" that there are people who click the thumb and then also post something, too!! LOL!!!

And here's another. ;)

Myself, @Ryuu96 and several others have discussed the idea of making votes (both for articles and forum posts) non-anonymous, and that seems to be a solution that a lot of people in here think could solve or mitigate the problems.

What's your take on that? And would that also be too much effort to code at the moment?
The reason I ask is because I believe we discussed this when you first introduced forum likes. So perhaps it's something you've already coded in, but just disabled it? At least for forum likes.

Votes in the forum would be easy to open up because you're correct, when I originally coded it up it was going to allow for a "floating box" on the thumb to list the users - but there was an immediate buzz-saw I ran into when that functionality first went live (even having people named in the notifications caused pushback!), so I was forced to go the other direction (just show counts and also allow users to not be named in notifications). The data is still there and it would probably only take a couple of hours to turn it around, but I still sense a great deal of friction towards doing it and so it's not a can of worms I think I want to open.

Articles would probably take a bit more effort, but for the same reasons surrounding the negativity with forum votes - I'm not sure it's a good idea. Again, I do agree with wrapping some limitations around the up/down voting for Supporters so that they don't have unlimited power - it would likely force them to put more consideration into the posts they "super" up or down vote. Unfortunately, it's just not something that could be coded up in a few minutes...

TalonMan said:
Hiku said:

And here's another. ;)

Myself, @Ryuu96 and several others have discussed the idea of making votes (both for articles and forum posts) non-anonymous, and that seems to be a solution that a lot of people in here think could solve or mitigate the problems.

What's your take on that? And would that also be too much effort to code at the moment?
The reason I ask is because I believe we discussed this when you first introduced forum likes. So perhaps it's something you've already coded in, but just disabled it? At least for forum likes.

Votes in the forum would be easy to open up because you're correct, when I originally coded it up it was going to allow for a "floating box" on the thumb to list the users - but there was an immediate buzz-saw I ran into when that functionality first went live (even having people named in the notifications caused pushback!), so I was forced to go the other direction (just show counts and also allow users to not be named in notifications). The data is still there and it would probably only take a couple of hours to turn it around, but I still sense a great deal of friction towards doing it and so it's not a can of worms I think I want to open.

Articles would probably take a bit more effort, but for the same reasons surrounding the negativity with forum votes - I'm not sure it's a good idea. Again, I do agree with wrapping some limitations around the up/down voting for Supporters so that they don't have unlimited power - it would likely force them to put more consideration into the posts they "super" up or down vote. Unfortunately, it's just not something that could be coded up in a few minutes...

100% i think this would be the best way forward for now to see how it goes. Id imagine it would fix one of the biggest problems with the voting system atm as then supporters would only use them votes for something they really believe in other than trowing them around like the is no tomorrow.

I also think the limit should include both up votes and down votes and not give a separate number to them, so for instance lets say a user has 10 extra votes (Not a hard number just an example you guys can come up with what would be the best total) a month that would include both up and down votes in that number.

I've got to say I'm not a fan of any kind of a voting system that can result in visibly negative results myself unless the issue really is almost exclusively caused by supporters distorting the totals, but to me, almost anything's an improvement over how it currently works. I don't suppose anyone has any data on whether this is only supporters using their power quite liberally or if non-supporters have a significant role as well?

CGI-Quality said:

Not that anything is final, but things will most likely end up like this…..

Upvoting article comments will remain (perks included). Forum Likes and article extra power (perk) downvoting will be axed. I’ve read/heard plenty of the issues, talked with the mod team and several admins and it is looking like the best course of action.

I disagree with the idea of removing forum likes because getting alot of them gives me a dopamin rush. Is this a valid argument?

But no seriously, I've given plenty of comment on the first page of this thread likes. No way in hell would I quote all of them and say: "I agree". It's been a few weeks already. Likes are way more effective like that. Sometimes it just tells me that the people who upvoted the comment actually read through it and didn't just ignore it.

It seems like many people think that the likes lead to people not answering. I personally wouldn't answer regardless.

That said: I do not agree.

Around the Network
DroidKnight said:

One of my most down-voted posts was in an Activision Blizzard article where I said I was going to take advantage of the company's most recent stupid decisions and buy some of their stock as it plummeted. I thought it would be a good thought to get out there for people to maybe take a chance and make a little easy money.

Well I for one put my money where my mouth was and bought 80 shares at 59.38 dollars each. It did dip down lower to a low 57 dollars, but I had no idea where the bottom would be. It's now over 67 dollars and I'm up over 600 dollars, all less than 6 weeks time. Now I just have to figure out when to dump it.

None of this means I support Activision's past actions, it just means I saw an opportunity to turn a negative into a positive.

I'm curious to know if anyone else took advantage of the Blizzard situation?

After the Blizzard acquisition.

Holy crap!  Just made enough to cover all my gaming expenses for the generation.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

DroidKnight said:
DroidKnight said:

One of my most down-voted posts was in an Activision Blizzard article where I said I was going to take advantage of the company's most recent stupid decisions and buy some of their stock as it plummeted. I thought it would be a good thought to get out there for people to maybe take a chance and make a little easy money.

Well I for one put my money where my mouth was and bought 80 shares at 59.38 dollars each. It did dip down lower to a low 57 dollars, but I had no idea where the bottom would be. It's now over 67 dollars and I'm up over 600 dollars, all less than 6 weeks time. Now I just have to figure out when to dump it.

None of this means I support Activision's past actions, it just means I saw an opportunity to turn a negative into a positive.

I'm curious to know if anyone else took advantage of the Blizzard situation?

After the Blizzard acquisition.

Holy crap!  Just made enough to cover all my gaming expenses for the generation.

You jammy bastard.