By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts November 2021 Discussion Thread

Share the article here.

Switch vs PS4 Sales Comparison - November 2021

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the Nintendo Switch and the PlayStation 4.

The PlayStation 4 launched in November 2013, while the Nintendo Switch launched worldwide in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

Switch Vs. PS4 Global:

Gap change in latest month: 2,389,142 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 6,789,380 - Switch

Total Lead: 15,510,064 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 96,965,862

PS4 Total Sales: 81,455,798

November 2021 is the 57th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Switch by 2.39 million units when compared to the PlayStation 4 during the same timeframe. In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the PlayStation 4 by 6.79 million units. The Switch is currently ahead of the PlayStation 4 by 15.51 million units.

The 57th month on sale for the Nintendo Switch is November 2021, while for the PlayStation 4 it is July 2018. The Switch has sold 96.97 million units, while the PlayStation 4 sold 81.46 million units during the same timeframe. The PlayStation 4 did not reach current Switch sales until month 67 where it sold 97.03 million units.

The PlayStation 4 has sold 116.70 million units through November 2021. The Nintendo Switch is currently 19.73 million units behind the lifetime sales of the PlayStation 4.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

Share the article here.

Xbox Series X|S vs Switch Sales Comparison - November 2021

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the Xbox Series X|S and Switch.

The Xbox Series X|S launched in November 2020, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. This does mean the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup.

XSX|S Vs. Switch Worldwide:

Gap change in latest month: 403,361 - XS

Gap change over last 12 months: 5,433,088 - NS

Total Lead: 6,049,894 - NS

Xbox Series X|S Total Sales: 9,798,177

Switch Total Sales: 15,848,071

November 2021 is the 13th month the Xbox Series X|S has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Xbox Series X|S when compared to the aligned launch of the Nintendo Switch by 403,361 units. The Nintendo Switch is currently ahead by 6.05 million units.

The Xbox Series X|S has sold 9.80 million units in nine months, while the Nintendo Switch sold 15.85 million units. Month 13 for the Xbox Series X|S is November 2021 and for the Nintendo Switch it is March 2018.

The Nintendo Switch crossed 20 million units sold in month 19, 30 million in month 23, and 40 million in month 33. The Nintendo Switch has sold 96.97 million units through November 2021.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Yeah I don't see Xbox Series landing anywhere near Switch lifetime, at least the current X/S generation, in case they decide to just make everything an incremental "Xbox Series" console from now on.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:

Yeah I don't see Xbox Series landing anywhere near Switch lifetime, at least the current X/S generation, in case they decide to just make everything an incremental "Xbox Series" console from now on.

Main reason I am doing this is that people would ask where it is while I am doing PS5 vs Switch. Though, I could change it to Xbox Series X|S vs Switch in the US as Xbox has more of a chance there.

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

Main reason I am doing this is that people would ask where it is while I am doing PS5 vs Switch. Though, I could change it to Xbox Series X|S vs Switch in the US as Xbox has more of a chance there.

I think both are worth doing, as they help add context to sales numbers and make for interesting comparisons. :)

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network

where are the switch vs wii and vs PS3 in europe ?
also just to see update on the DS vs PS4 in europe chart from some months could you please do it one more time ? for december 2021 ?
PS3 and 360 vs PS4 and XB1 for november and december incoming ?

yo33331 said:

where are the switch vs wii and vs PS3 in europe ?
also just to see update on the DS vs PS4 in europe chart from some months could you please do it one more time ? for december 2021 ?
PS3 and 360 vs PS4 and XB1 for november and december incoming ?

I'll get to the PS3 and 360 vs PS4 and XB1 one. The others if there is time before the rest of December is up. 

Share the article here.

Switch vs DS Sales Comparison - November 2021

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the Nintendo Switch and the Nintendo DS.

The DS launched in November 2004 in North America, December 2004 in Japan, and March 2005 in Europe, while the Nintendo Switch launched worldwide in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

Switch Vs. DS Global:

Gap change in latest month: 1,485,549 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 3,309,359 - DS

Total Lead: 8,794,952 - DS

Switch Total Sales: 96,965,862

DS Total Sales: 105,760,814

November 2021 is the 57th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Switch by 1.49 million units when compared to the DS during the same timeframe. In the last 12 months, the DS has outsold the Switch by 3.31 million units. The DS is ahead of the Switch by 8.79 million units.

The 57th month on sale for the Nintendo Switch is November 2021, while for the DS it is July 2009. The Switch has sold 96.97 million units, while the DS sold 105.76 million units during the same timeframe.

The Nintendo DS sold 154.02 million units lifetime. The Nintendo Switch is currently 57.05 million units behind the lifetime sales of the DS.

Share the article here.

PS4 and Xbox One vs PS3 and Xbox 360 Sales Comparison - November 2021

This monthly series compares the combined aligned sales of the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One with the combined aligned sales of the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

The 97th month for the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One is November 2021, while for the Xbox 360 it is November 2013 and for the PlayStation 3 it is November 2014. This does mean the holiday periods for all four consoles are lined up.

Gap change in latest month: 1,203,842 - PS3 & X360

Gap change over last 12 months: 8,139,236 - PS3 & X360

Total Lead: 2,385,248 - PS4 & XOne

Total Combined PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 Sales: 164,810,894

Total Combined PlayStation 4 and Xbox One Sales: 167,196,142

In November 2021, the gap grew in favor of the combined sales of the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 when compared to the aligned launch of the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One in the last month by 1.20 million units. In the last 12 months, the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 have caught up by 8.14 million units. The PlayStation 4 and Xbox One lead by a combined 2.39 million units.

The PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in their first 97 months sold a combined 164.81 million units, while the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One have sold a combined 167.20 million units. It took until month 100 for the PS3 and Xbox 360 to sell as many units as the current PS4 and Xbox One sales.

The PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 sold a combined 173.22 million units lifetime. The PlayStation 4 and Xbox One are currently 6.02 million units away from surpassing the PS3 and X360.

That is probably the most interesting chart with how extreme the difference in sales curve is. PS5+XBS vs PS4+X1 should be far less interesting though unfortunately since they should both follow a much more similar sales curve. Though maybe the former could get into the 180's like the PS2+Xbox did.