By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Halo Infinite - Story Discussion - Unmarked Spoilers

Angelus said:
AsGryffynn said:

I've been meaning to ask this too. I actually liked Osiris, so it makes me wonder if they will return as a whole group at some point. Remember this Halo is essentially like mobile games: no new games, just expansions one after the other for at least a decade or so. 

Honestly, Vale was really the only character from that squad I found interesting. Locke SHOULD have been interesting, as an ONI hitman of sorts...but he wasn't. I barely even remember Tanaka, and Buck was just...well, Nathan Fillion, which is amusing, but ultimately the same as everywhere else you'll ever see him.

Vale was interesting, I liked her love of Sangheili culture and that she was fluent in their language, I honestly think it would be better if she was in Arbiter's Swords of Sanghelios acting as a liaison between Arbiter and UNSC, of course, that would make Fireteam Osiris even more boring but they've already lost Buck and Locke/Tanaka aren't that interesting.

I'd disband Osiris entirely I think, Locke can go back to being a solo hitman, I think that would do wonders for making his character more interesting, plus being in a group whose skills aren't similar to Locke's seems counter to what he is intended to be, it's not like Grey Team who are all trained for covert operations, I don't think Tanaka or Vale were ever trained to be assassins like Locke was and Osiris was only set up to retrieve Chief.

Could then put Tanaka in Fireteam Majestic with Thorne because I honestly only know Thorne from that squad, I couldn't name anyone else, at least with Tanaka in there I would be able to name two, Lol and I think her skills would be a good fit for them, so here's what I would do to Fireteam Osiris.

• Locke - Solo Headhunter
  • Buck - Alpha Nine
  • Tanaka - Fireteam Majestic with Thorne
  • Vale - Swords of Sanghelios liaison with Usze and N'tho
Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 14 December 2021

Around the Network

I have to talk about The Weapon's name.

So, I thought it was a sweet moment to see Chief actually give her permission to use Cortana as her name, although oddly she never actually says it, I wonder if 343 did that in case they change their minds, which leads me to my point, I don't think The Weapon should call herself Cortana, I know, I know, Cortana is marketing, they're almost certainly going to go with Cortana based on marketing alone, Cortana is a well known name, blah blah, I just think from a story perspective it would be better if she didn't.

The Weapon acts nothing like OG Cortana, her personality is the complete opposite, nor does she have OG Cortana's memories or experiences, she is a clone in looks alone, she doesn't even appear to be as smart as OG Cortana, it's like cloning a pet, biologically they're the same but that is where the similarities end, it is not the same pet, our Cortana is dead.

I also feel like, it does a bit of a disservice to The Weapon, she was an awesome character in her own way, not because she was a Cortana clone, as I've said, she acted nothing like Cortana, she is her own unique individual and doesn't need to ride of the coattails of another.

So I've seen some fan theories going around and there's a bit of talk that The Weapon should instead name herself Joy, why Joy? Cause Bungie used to name their AIs after swords from a French poem called The Song of Roland, two of those swords were Durendal (Durandal from Marathon) and Curtana (Cortana from Halo) but there's a third called Joyeuse which is forged from the same steel as Durendal and Curtana, some thought Bungie would name an AI after Joyeuse for Destiny but they never did, Lol.

I think it would be fun to follow that naming theme, not sure if Joyeuse would work but it's easily shortened to Joy, it's a name that matches her personality too, Lol. Think it would show a bit of bravery to not go with Cortana too but they definitely are going with Cortana, if only for marketing purposes, Lol.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 14 December 2021

Considering how we all loved Cortana from 1-4. They really killed her character in 5. Just makes me cringe thinking about 5's story. The alien worlds and weapons were cool but rest. Arrrgg. Watching some of the old memories and even the look they gave her in 5. I was like get me outta here.

Yea am in the camp they should not call the new one Cortana.

P.S. Windows Cortana am not talking about you, am talking about Halo 5 one, kk. Don't turn on me. Peace.

Yea, I would prefer her not calling herself Cortana. Not only for the reasons Ryu highlighted, but also...after everything The Weapon saw in Infinite...why would she WANT to call herself Cortana? Seeing Cortana devastate Earth, killing all those Spartans, destroying the entire Brute homeworld...The Weapon was horrified by all that, and ultimately asked Chief to delete her, because she was so afraid of becoming that. Then an hour later she wants to take Cortana's name?

That was really bizarre to me.

There's a redemption arc to the story. Extreme destruction and self sacrifice (for the right reasons). Wanting to yet be called Cortana, signifies that beings can change for the better, especially when given second chances.

It's also pointing out not to rush to judgement. Something both the Weapon and Chief have to struggle with and learn to overcome. There's a time and place when immediate decisions and action must take place, but those times are more rare.

If she's going to remain unique instead of showing at least some of the good or harmless traits of original Cortana, then I'd personally rather have a different name as well, but it would be totally understandable if 343 sticks with Cortana.

Around the Network
Angelus said:

Yea, I would prefer her not calling herself Cortana. Not only for the reasons Ryu highlighted, but also...after everything The Weapon saw in Infinite...why would she WANT to call herself Cortana? Seeing Cortana devastate Earth, killing all those Spartans, destroying the entire Brute homeworld...The Weapon was horrified by all that, and ultimately asked Chief to delete her, because she was so afraid of becoming that. Then an hour later she wants to take Cortana's name?

This too, she was absolutely horrified at Cortana and that she was a clone of her, not to mention, naming herself after Cortana is going to have all sorts of lore complications, even The Pilot was terrified of The Weapon when he first saw her cause she looked like Cortana, now she's also going to take her name? Be a bit like, oh hey Spartan IV, I've named myself after the person who slaughtered your friends with no mercy, Lol.

Nobody in lore should like the fact that she is called Cortana after all Cortana has done, be a bit like naming yourself after a mass murderer because they were a nice person in their college days, Lol.

EricHiggin said:

There's a redemption arc to the story. Extreme destruction and self sacrifice (for the right reasons). Wanting to yet be called Cortana, signifies that beings can change for the better, especially when given second chances.

It's also pointing out not to rush to judgement. Something both the Weapon and Chief have to struggle with and learn to overcome. There's a time and place when immediate decisions and action must take place, but those times are more rare.

If she's going to remain unique instead of showing at least some of the good or harmless traits of original Cortana, then I'd personally rather have a different name as well, but it would be totally understandable if 343 sticks with Cortana.

Personally, I didn't see Cortana's arc as a redemption arc, it was like Darth Vader's arc in many ways and I don't see that as a redemption arc either, at the end of the day, they both did horrific things, Cortana essentially committed genocide, attempted to enslave the entire Galaxy, along with killing a bunch of Spartan IVs and how she (and Vader) will be remembered in the lore is being horrific monsters but in their final moments they did one good thing for someone they loved and gave closure to that person.

In Cortana's case, she didn't even have this moment of clarity until she was locked down by The Weapon, had lost control over her Promethean army and when Atriox was literally right at her doorstep, at that point she had lost, she was arrogant to the very end but realised she had lost, she made a mistake in her plans and she can no longer do what she believed was best for John, The Banished getting control over Zeta Halo ruins all her plans and most importantly to her, puts John in danger, she did one good thing in her final moments but I don't see that as a redemption.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 15 December 2021

Ryuu96 said:
Angelus said:

This too, she was absolutely horrified at Cortana and that she was a clone of her, not to mention, naming herself after Cortana is going to have all sorts of lore complications, even The Pilot was terrified of The Weapon when he first saw her cause she looked like Cortana, now she's also going to take her name? Be a bit like, oh hey Spartan IV, I've named myself after the person who slaughtered your friends with no mercy, Lol.

Nobody in lore should like the fact that she is called Cortana after all Cortana has done, be a bit like naming yourself after a mass murderer because they were a nice person in their college days, Lol.

EricHiggin said:

Personally, I didn't see Cortana's arc as a redemption arc, it was like Darth Vader's arc in many ways and I don't see that as a redemption arc either, at the end of the day, they both did horrific things, Cortana essentially committed genocide, attempted to enslave the entire Galaxy, along with killing a bunch of Spartan IVs and how she (and Vader) will be remembered in the lore is being horrific monsters but in their final moments they did one good thing for someone they loved and gave closure to that person.

In Cortana's case, she didn't even have this moment of clarity until she was locked down by The Weapon, had lost control over her Promethean army and when Atriox was literally right at her doorstep, at that point she had lost, she was arrogant to the very end but realised she had lost, she made a mistake in her plans and she can no longer do what she believed was best for John, The Banished getting control over Zeta Halo ruins all her plans and most importantly to her, puts John in danger, she did one good thing in her final moments but I don't see that as a redemption.

It's kinda like the 360 RROD poster everyone was discussing. Most seem to think the poster is either highly negative, or highly positive.

Highly positive because MS is acknowledging their past faults, now that they've somewhat redeemed themselves with the XB Series ecosystem.

Highly negative because they admittedly caused gamers major headache/heartache, and are now charging them to remind them of that.

Is either completely right or wrong?

Cortana acknowledges she screwed up even if it took locking her down and forcing her to reflect. She realizes what she can do to try and right those wrongs to the degree she has the power to at that point in time. With little time, she even leaves an explanation for Chief and Cortana 2.0 to make sure they learn from her mistakes. Then she does the right thing even though it will cost her own existence, yet she could've just gone down in flames.

Cortana 2.0 realizes this and while she obviously understands the atrocities committed, she also see's that she's not doomed to become a crazy authoritarian psychopath. Cortana 2.0 now understands what not to do from the past, and to make sure she and Chief remain a team, if not as one.

I'm not saying everybody is supposed to think to themselves that Cortana was always great and the redemption automatically erases the horror. It's for people to realize that sometimes, seemingly bad people, can be mistaken, and sometimes they can change for the better.

Infinite is full or real life lessons. Don't automatically shoot first and ask questions later. Don't automatically assume everyone who seems to have turned to "the dark side", actually has completely, and that they can't change for the better. Etc.

Finished the campaign. My thoughts on the story:

• Ballsy move killing off Cortana. There were alot of theories about The Weapon having been made from the good remnants of Cortana that split apart when Cortana went fully rampant in Halo 4, and the evil Cortana from 5 being the bad remnants of Cortana, and the two being remerged as one in Halo Infinite to bring back OG Cortana, but I think they made the right call having Evil Cortana realize the error of her ways and sacrificing herself to give Chief and the Weapon a chance to stop the Banished. I always said that it would be a mistake to kill off Cortana since she is vital to the Halo formula, opening doors for Chief and providing dialogue to the player since Chief is silent most of the time. Halo 5's fellow blue team members provided that needed dialogue in 5, but it just wasn't the same and was one of many reasons why I didn't like Halo 5 singleplayer very much. The Weapon solves that issue perfectly. She is a near exact copy of Cortana, so she is voiced by Jen Taylor, but in my personal opinion, I think I might actually like her more than OG Cortana. I like her youthful enthusiasm and optimism, I like the cute little faces she makes. The only bad thing is that she doesn't have the sex appeal of OG Cortana, but 343 seems to be over sexualizing Cortana these days, which is ironic since they once made the most sexualized Cortana design of all with the Halo 4 design, but the flashback memory scenes of OG Cortana in Infinite look purposefully de-sexualized, she looks quite frumpy.
  • I'm not a big fan of how few returning characters there are in Infinite. We get some audio logs of Lasky and Halsey which suggest they got off the Infinity in an escape pod before it was destroyed (though rather Laskey survived the 6 months on the surface we don't know), and it is teased that Locke was killed by Hyperius, and that Jun was killed when Cortana ordered Leonidas to self-destruct the Spartan 4 training space station that Jun was in charge of, but as for the rest of the characters, they make no appearances and we don't know what any of them are doing. Halo has a huge stable of characters, so obviously they couldn't stuff like 2 dozen returning characters into Halo Infinite's main campaign, but it would have been nice to get at least a few of them, or for them to have been teased in the post credits scene (I didn't play on Legendary so I don't know what was in the special Legendary post credits scene yet). I'm sure 343 plans to work alot more characters into the planned campaign expansions, especially Laskey, Halsey, Palmer, Blue Team, Alpha-Nine (Halo 3 ODST characters), Osiris (including possibly Locke, who I doubt was actually killed off screen), Anders (who was captured by Cortana between 5 and Infinite), and of course Arbiter and some of his fellow Elites like Mahkee 'Chava and Rtas 'Vadum, but I just wish we could have seen some of them now instead of later.
  • The Endless returning seem like a huge threat to everyone, the Forerunners locked them away for a reason, because if the Flood ever infects them the Flood will become unstoppable. The Flood still exists, contained on certain Halo rings including Zeta Halo. I can't imagine why Atriox would free them? Does he think he can control them? I very much so doubt it.

I'm actually quite happy we got pretty much nothing from old/returning characters. In a way, we sort of got the solo Chief game, dealing with the loss of Cortana that Halo 5 always should have been. Throwing trusted characters in for him to mingle with or whatever woulda just taken away from that vibe.

Angelus said:

I'm actually quite happy we got pretty much nothing from old/returning characters. In a way, we sort of got the solo Chief game, dealing with the loss of Cortana that Halo 5 always should have been. Throwing trusted characters in for him to mingle with or whatever woulda just taken away from that vibe.

Yeah, it makes sense for the story they were telling. I just wish we got like a playable post-game after the main campaign where we save some of the captured main characters at least, to get some setup for the first expansion pack.

They designed those whole islands where the final missions take place, and only like a 5th of those islands is used for the actual mission with the scorpion tank, the rest is just wasted space. They could have opened the rest of those islands up as one final open world zone to explore and get a few more collectibles in, with one final mission to save some captured allies, like say Laskey perhaps.