By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Game Awards Thread (2021) It Takes Two Wins GOTY

What excites you most about TGA?

The winners 2 4.44%

The tears of the losers 2 4.44%

Geoff getting visibly frustrated 1 2.22%

Game Announcements 26 57.78%

The guy who voices "world premiere" 4 8.89%

When the credits role 2 4.44%

Revealing viewership from last year to brag 0 0%

Josef fares... Anything to do with the man 4 8.89%

Live Music 0 0%

A rumored game once again not bring announced 4 8.89%

Total:45
eva01beserk said:
Dulfite said:

I actually thought the collective quality of this year was good, buy I can't think of any one game I'd say deserves to be Goty. Forza may be great, but it's still more or less what other racer games are except shinier. Halo Infinite is fun, but has some problems to sort out. Metroid Dread is fantastic, but plays pretty safe for what this genre rather than expanding it.  The rest don't stand out to me either. None of these games are TLOU, BOTW, Spider-Man, gow quality games.

Never expected it for the first year. But I really think a lot "good" is enough to be exited for a first year even if nothing "great". Last gen we had nothing "great" and only a couple of "good" like ine from each console. Wonderfull start I say. 

By last gen do you mean Wii U/3ds/vita/PS4/Xbox One? If so, you didn't think Spider-Man, Mario Kart 8, Zelda Botw (was a Wii U game originally before Switch was rushed out) were great? I'm sure there were at least some great games.

But yes, I do think this generation is starting off better. Took Switch a while to work through the Wii U Potts, but since then has produced some absolutely fantastic games and PS5/Series XS seem to be off to a great start as well.

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:

I've just said the GOTY contenders. 2020 line up was stronger imo which I guess it's understandable, this is the first year of current gen  

For 2/3rds of them, sure. Are we forgetting Nintendo, or do you view Switch as in the same gen as PS4/Xbone?

Dulfite said:
eva01beserk said:

Never expected it for the first year. But I really think a lot "good" is enough to be exited for a first year even if nothing "great". Last gen we had nothing "great" and only a couple of "good" like ine from each console. Wonderfull start I say. 

By last gen do you mean Wii U/3ds/vita/PS4/Xbox One? If so, you didn't think Spider-Man, Mario Kart 8, Zelda Botw (was a Wii U game originally before Switch was rushed out) were great? I'm sure there were at least some great games.

But yes, I do think this generation is starting off better. Took Switch a while to work through the Wii U Potts, but since then has produced some absolutely fantastic games and PS5/Series XS seem to be off to a great start as well.

Its easy to not think of Nintendo when thinking of a gen. But I guess I meant a last gen as 2014. First year of playstation 4 and xbox1. I wad comparing both first year not the full gen to the first year of this one. Would make no sense to do so. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Dulfite said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

I've just said the GOTY contenders. 2020 line up was stronger imo which I guess it's understandable, this is the first year of current gen  

For 2/3rds of them, sure. Are we forgetting Nintendo, or do you view Switch as in the same gen as PS4/Xbone?

I see Switch as part of PS4 and Xbone gen

Ah yes.

Winter E3 with an Award Show attached to it.

Around the Network
eva01beserk said:
Dulfite said:

Its easy to not think of Nintendo when thinking of a gen. But I guess I meant a last gen as 2014. First year of playstation 4 and xbox1. I wad comparing both first year not the full gen to the first year of this one. Would make no sense to do so. 

For me it's impossible to not think of Nintendo when thinking of a gen. They make some of the greatest games each generation.

IcaroRibeiro said:
Dulfite said:

I see Switch as part of PS4 and Xbone gen

That's fair, thanks for clarification! 

PAOerfulone said:

Ah yes.

Yep, except now E3 has mostly become this segmented, safe video clip compilation rather than a live show, so I actually find the atmosphere of TGA more enjoyable, especially since you never know what's gonna happen in a live show. We've had some crazy things already happen live in TGA's past so I'm looking forward to more this year lol.

Dulfite said:
PAOerfulone said:

Ah yes.

Yep, except now E3 has mostly become this segmented, safe video clip compilation rather than a live show, so I actually find the atmosphere of TGA more enjoyable, especially since you never know what's gonna happen in a live show. We've had some crazy things already happen live in TGA's past so I'm looking forward to more this year lol.

Of course!

I will never forget "Fuck the Oscars!"

XD

PAOerfulone said:
Dulfite said:

Of course!

I will never forget "Fuck the Oscars!"

XD

That was such a legendary moment. Whether you agreed with him or not, that moment has been and will be referenced for years to come. I don't even remember why he was hating on the Oscars, I very much doubt it's the same reason I don't watch the Oscars, but what a way to go about that. Seeing Geoff cringe in horror, unable to stop that man was amusing in itself.