By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread | Day #34 | The 12th Annual Greatest Games Event

Grandia II (PC)

YoY: =

Grandia is a series that I never actually played when they first came out back in the 90s and early 2000s. It wasn't until 2011 that I bought and played the first game, and then it took me until 2019 to get around to Grandia II. I'm very glad I finally did, because it is genuinely one of the best JRPGs of the early 2000s, with a well-written, memorable cast of characters, an excellent battle system, and a great soundtrack. The story can perhaps be a bit too straightforward and predictable, but it's an enjoyable and engaging experience nonetheless, helped along by the main cast.

The first game is still a little bit better, but I am very glad I finally got around to playing this one as well. 

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
mZuzek said:

#36 - You play as the son of the final boss of most of this series' games.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night?

Yes.

TruckOSaurus said:

#37: This sequel features a protagonist with an ass worth saving.
#36: The game marks the first appearance of a blue item that many criticize as punishing players for being good.
#35: Everyone is here! Even canonically dead characters!

Would've also guessed Smash Ultimate for 35 .

But 37: Uncharted 2.

S.Peelman said:
TruckOSaurus said:

#37: This sequel features a protagonist with an ass worth saving.
#36: The game marks the first appearance of a blue item that many criticize as punishing players for being good.
#35: Everyone is here! Even canonically dead characters!

Would've also guessed Smash Ultimate for 35 .

But 37: Uncharted 2.

Correct for 37.

For #35, the second part of the hint is important. I don't think Smash has dead people in it.

Signature goes here!

Damn, beaten to the punch on a few of these - Pixeljunk and some of Trucks' clues. I really wanted to get the ass one :(

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

40) Unusual to this series and JRPGs in general, the MC of this game can wield not one but three weapon types

Hint 3: The series in question is Tales of

38) This series is seemingly well on its way to remaking all its games from the beginning. This was the second remake REmake 2

37) ^Strangely enough this hint also work for this game. Only the remakes have been more split over the years for this series.

Hint 2: This game is over a decade old. The series is over 2 decades.

36) First the depths, now the skies.

35) The Japanese and NA boxart(s) feature the protagonist. The European ones, an infamous enemy in the game.

#37: maybe Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSiver?

That's the one!

Major Switch Titles Launch Aligned

2021 predictions:

• Switch - 27m
  • PS5 - 15.5m
  • Xbox Series - 10m

GoOnKid said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

40) Unusual to this series and JRPGs in general, the MC of this game can wield not one but three weapon types

38) This series is seemingly well on its way to remaking all its games from the beginning. This was the second remake REmake 2

37) ^Strangely enough this hint also work for this game. Only the remakes have been more split over the years for this series.

Hint 2: This game is over a decade old. The series is over 2 decades.

36) First the depths, now the skies.

35) The Japanese and NA boxart(s) feature the protagonist. The European ones, an infamous enemy in the game.

36) Bioshock Infinite

35) Resident Evil 3

Right on 36.

35 is not it.

2021 predictions:

• Switch - 27m
  • PS5 - 15.5m
  • Xbox Series - 10m

Even more clues:

• Lots of destruction in this racer, with debris from cars frequently littering the track.
  • It's in large part inspired by Touring Car racing.
  • This game started a new series, but it's basically a successor to the old TOCA games.

• This very colourful 2D indie platformer was initially a PS4 exclusive and is notoriously difficult in later stages.
  • It received an Ultimate Edition expansion and in total has thousands of levels. Most can be completed in seconds, even the hard ones... if you're really really good at the game.
  • The name of this game consists of one letter and two symbols.

#37 guessed by Mnementh - N++

• This sequel to another colourful platformer is in 3D and first person.
  • It wasn't as well received as the original, despite being open world (something a lot of people claimed they wished was in the first game).
  • The music artist Solar Fields returned to do the soundtrack for this sequel (and it's great^^).
Last edited by Machina - 3 days ago

UnderwaterFunktown said:
GoOnKid said:

36) Bioshock Infinite

35) Resident Evil 3

Right on 36.

35 is not it.

Is #35 Resident Evil 4? I remember the chainsaw mini-boss being on my Wii version's European box art.

Alright bringin in some new hints

Hint 4: I doubt more than a few people on here have played this, so I'll give the biggest hint I can: It has 2 in the title

Hint 2: GoOnKid was close

34) Too zolt

33) You spent much of this game in a preposterously tall tower.

2021 predictions:

• Switch - 27m
  • PS5 - 15.5m
  • Xbox Series - 10m