By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread | The 12th Annual Greatest Games Event

Darashiva said:
Mnementh said:

More hints:

#31: Transferring the soul of an animal into a child born without one will not end well. Anyone surprised? Killing a god may the cause of it all. You are the Watcher. This game had a big Kickstarter campaign. The developer of the game got later bought by Microsoft. Guessed by Machina.

#30: A-Plus, Akebi, Ramen, S-Chan and just Frank. Deliver the cleaned laundry. Actually you forget to deliver it. This 3DS game was part of a series of smaller games. You play on Friday.

#29: The rooster of war! The tree of love! This colorful open world game let you interact with some gods. The Ubisoft towers are big statues this time. Guessed by Machina.

#28: Climbing, swimming, running, flying, digging... and freezing. Luckily there are hot springs, which will warm you up. Guessed by Darashiva.

#27: Play in Detroit and Shanghai. You have for each problem multiple ways to solve it.

27: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Here are some clues for my next few games.

31.  I would not be surprised if someone tells me that this Nintendo game should be higher on my list.

30.  Some consider the main protagonist of this RPG to be female, but personally I would say it has more of an ensemble cast.

29.  I still haven't beaten a final boss of this game, but the decisions you make during gameplay determine if you will even encounter him.

30: Final Fantasy VI

29: Persona 4? Or maybe Bloodborne.

30 is correct!

29 is not correct.

Machina said:

#28 - This eerie indie puzzle platformer takes a very strange, squishy, blobby turn towards the end.

#27 - Kill yourself by shoving a stone into your forehead, I'm sure that'll work out well.

#26 - His hands and feet aren't connected to his body. And he's a legend.

#25 - Snipers in Pripyat.

#24 - Black and white.

24.  I'll assume is neither Black and White nor the Pokemon game.  I'll guess West of Loathing.

Around the Network
Machina said:
Mnementh said:

#27: Diablo?

#26: sadly Rayman legend was already guessed, I am too slow

#25: Stalker

27 is correct! Thought that one would prove tricky, but I guess not.

Well, shoving the stone in the forehead is central in the Diablo lore, also enabling the follow-up games.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Machina said:

More clues:

• This PS1 & PC game had a single player campaign but it's much more well-known for its multiplayer mode (which on PS1 was against the computer, and on PC could be against the computer or another player).
  • It has most of the hallmarks of what would become the Action RTS/MOBA genre, making it one of the very first Action RTS/MOBA games.
  • This was the first game to be developed by an Electronic Arts studio that was eventually closed down in 2017.

Command and COnquer? 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Mnementh said:
Machina said:

27 is correct! Thought that one would prove tricky, but I guess not.

Well, shoving the stone in the forehead is central in the Diablo lore, also enabling the follow-up games.

Diablo games have really dark endings when you think about it. Before Lord of Destruction expansion, DII ended with Marius handing over Baal his soulstone and Baal walking away burning the sanatorium down.

Signature goes here!

S.Peelman said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

Not adding any new games just yet, but adding more hints:

32) The protagonist for this game looks decidedly different from the other protagonist of the series.

Hint 2: Mainly because the other protagonists look so similar.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild?

If so, clever.

That's not it, so sadly not clever

The_Liquid_Laser said:

UnderwaterFunktown said:

33) You spent much of this game in a preposterously tall tower.

Hint 2: You play as the vessel.

Hint 3: Part of a series that has done a pretty poor job celebrating it's 25th anniversary... so far.

32) The protagonist for this game looks decidedly different from the other protagonist of the series.

31) This game is extremely beloved despite being rushed. Personally I think it shows, but it's still tons of fun.

Hint 2: Particularly well liked by the more competitive players.

30) First game in the series to have DLC, some of it had people ecstatic and some of it less so.

Hint 2: Ecstatic = The hype meter went nuts.

33. I've never finished a Pokemon game, so I'm guessing Gold/Silver.

32. Final Fantasy 6?

31. Halo?

33. It's not a Pokémon game so... but Gold/Silver is on my list.

32. No, in the series I'm thinking of they are VERY similar.

31. Nope

TruckOSaurus said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

33) You spent much of this game in a preposterously tall tower.

Hint 2: You play as the vessel.

Hint 3: Part of a series that has done a pretty poor job celebrating it's 25th anniversary... so far.

31) This game is extremely beloved despite being rushed. Personally I think it shows, but it's still tons of fun.

Hint 2: Particularly well liked by the more competitive players.

30) First game in the series to have DLC, some of it had people ecstatic and some of it less so.

Hint 2: Ecstatic = The hype meter went nuts.

#31) Super Smash Bros. Melee

Yup, that's the one

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Around the Network
#31Pillars of Eternity
guessed byMachina
platformLinux/Switch
release year2015
developer/publisherObsidian Entertainment/Paradox Interactive
genreRPG
linksWikipedia
past years2020: #21, 2019: #17, 2018: #7, 2017: #14

Pillars of Eternity is a throwback to the old Infinity games, including Baldur's Gate, but with newer technology. This was pitched for crowdfunding and became one of the most successful crowdfunding campaigns for gaming. That is how much people loved the idea to get a new Infinity game. It probably helped, that Obsidian was founded by people who formerly worked at Black Isle.

Same as in the old Infinity games, you move your party through gorgeous environments and interact in many ways with the environment and characters. The game is an RPG, with pause-based gameplay. Which means the fight is going on and you can give commands, but you can pause if you want to give more detailed commands. Back then Baldur's Gate had a D&D-license, but for Pillars of Eternity Obsidian developed their own gaming system.

The story features a world of Eora in turmoil. Some years ago an event called the Saints War saw a person claiming to be the god Eothas lead a war, but he was eventually killed leaving worshippers of Eothas in doubt. Many children are born without a soul, these are called Hollowborne and the epedemic of these happening is causing fear. Some magicians called animancers experiment with transferring souls, often resulting in the creation of monsters. You play the watcher, a person who can sense souls.

The game was so successful, Obsidian made a successor, Pillars of Eternity 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAw4v6JbCBI

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Last hint for #30:

#30: A-Plus, Akebi, Ramen, S-Chan and just Frank. Deliver the cleaned laundry. Actually you forget to deliver it. This 3DS game was part of a series of smaller games. You play on Friday. This is also the day the monsters come out. Guessed by Machina.

Last edited by Mnementh - on 01 December 2021

Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

YoY: -3

When Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch was first released on the PS3 back in 2013 in the west, home console JRPGs weren't exactly doing very well commercially or critically. Outside of Final Fantasy, which was also going through its own difficult period thanks to XIII not being all that good, and XIV being an unmitigated disaster at launch, most JRPGs had either moved to handhelds, failed commercially, or just weren't all that good to begin with. This was one major reason why I was so very hyped for Ni No Kuni, in addition to being made by a genuinely talented studio in Level-5 in collaboration with the film studio that had created many of my favourite animated films ever in Studio Ghibli.

In terms of audiovisual presentation Ni No Kuni is a beautiful game. The music by Joe Hisaishi is wonderful, and the Ghibli-esque art style is translated perfectly into the new medium. I loved the fair tale-like world, and the colourful cast of characters that inhabit it, from the protagonists to the villains and everyone in-between. The weakest part of the game is probably the battle system, which tries to combine a turn-based and real-time combat systems into one, and as is usually the case, it doesn't quite come together as well as planned. Overall though, this is a great game, and one I should probably try to go back and play again one of these days. If only I had the time.

Guessed by coolbeans

Even though this is the largest drop of any game, 'Motocross Madness' still has a place in my mind. It is one of the few racing games I like, and one of even fewer that are mentioned here on this listMaybe because the game's so ridiculous. It looks like it is supposed to be a realistic game, but the way you crash and fall, or get blasted across the map if you try to go out of bounds, is anything but. On one hand it made me think like this was unintended, but on the other the game has a name that's "Motocross Madness". So I'm not sure.

There were other 'Madness' titles, but I really only played the first 'Midtown Madness'. That was fun as well, and equally goofy, further feeding my suspicion that Motocross Madness was never meant to be a serious racing game, but Midtown Madness didn't really last. Part of why Motocross Madness did was that you could make your own tracks, but sadly only for the Supercross mode. At one point, me and my friend would each make a track that was as stupid, annoying, boring or long as possible just to spite each other. In this case though, a gaming feud didn't ruin a friendship.

I only have one new game this time, because the rest is guessed. Hopefully this one will last a bit longer.

#26: The main concept in this game originated from a demo that has a name with a digit double that of another game in this series.