By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread | The 12th Annual Greatest Games Event

#39

Lost Odyssey (Xbox 360)

YoY: +1

The one game that back in the late 2000s had me considering actually buying a 360. Final Fantasy was in something of a slump at the time, and JRPGs in general were going through a difficult period, where a lot of companies had seemingly decided that the genre was no longer popular. More traditional games had especially seemingly fallen out of favour, and a lot of developers were experimenting with new gameplay styles with varying degrees of success. It was into that environment that Lost Odyssey was released back in 2008 (in the west).

I didn't actually get around to playing the game until a few years ago, because I simply couldn't justify getting an entire console for a single game. When I finally did play it, I can say that the wait was worth it. A lot of people complained about the game's very traditional gameplay at the time of its release, but to me it was pretty much perfect. The story, characters, battle system, music by Nobuo Uematsu, and the setting were all great. It felt like playing a classic Final Fantasy game, and that was exactly what I wanted from Lost Odyssey. The short stories found within the game, called A Thousand Year of Dreams, are also some of the very best writing I've ever encountered in video games.



Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:
Jpcc86 said:

Im surprised no one has guessed my #39, I felt it was obvious enough but perhaps the franchise is a bit more obscure than I thought? 

This time the hints are gonna be very general, but at the same very obvious... for me at least.

#39:

Hint: In this PS1 game at times you play segments as the main villain, who happens to be "the other half" of the main protagonist. Two parts of a whole, lets say. 

Hint 2: This is the 4th entry of this awesome, but sadly defunct, franchise. 

Hint 3: As it happens in every game entry of the franchise, the main character has blue hair. 

#35

Hint: This was the best metroidvania ever... until SOTN released

#34

Hint: Im just gonna go ahead and say this is the best main entry Mario game ever, so obviously its not a 3D game. 

#33

Hint: This is the best Final Fantasy spinoff game ever made. 

#39: Breath of Fire IV ?

#35: Um.. Super Metroid ?

#34: Super Mario Bros. 3

#33: Final Fantasy Tactics

You are right on all of them except #34, which was the #47 of my list :p



The_Liquid_Laser said:

More hints:

41. a. This is a more kid friendly GBA sequel to a PS1 game with a more serious storyline.
b. In this game you can choose from a variety of humanoid races for your characters, while on the PS1 game you could only create human characters.

40. The protagonist of this PS2 game just barely made it as one of the Bros.

39.  This Switch game somehow feels like the sequel to two different games simultaneously.

41 is Final Fantasy Tactics Advance? 



My Console Library:

PS5, Switch

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Top 6 this generation: 
Bloodborne, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, God of War, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Dark Souls III, Red Dead Redemption II, Rock Band 4

Jpcc86 said:
TruckOSaurus said:

#39: Breath of Fire IV ?

#35: Um.. Super Metroid ?

#34: Super Mario Bros. 3

#33: Final Fantasy Tactics

You are right on all of them except #34, which was the #47 of my list :p

So is #34 super Mario World? 



My Console Library:

PS5, Switch

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Top 6 this generation: 
Bloodborne, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, God of War, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Dark Souls III, Red Dead Redemption II, Rock Band 4

Runa216 said:
Jpcc86 said:

You are right on all of them except #34, which was the #47 of my list :p

So is #34 super Mario World? 

Aye, thats the one!



Around the Network
Eric2048 said:

#44 Is a first person Rpg where you fight with swords and magic but it probably isn't the first thing that pops into your head. Hint #2 it features ragdoll physics and you can find some pretty creative ways to defeat your enemies.

#41 This game is the second game in a spinoff series from a well known rpg franchise. You use "magic keys" to travel to other worlds. Hint#2 It is a turn based Rpg. One of the monsters you can encounter is a slime creature.

#40 This is the first game from a certain playstation franchise that hasn't seen a new entry for some time now. Hint#2 The main character has a unique weapon which he uses for melee attacks.

#40 Klonoa?



39 - At one point in this RPG you fight a giant steak as a boss and win by cooking it properly. Flattening it, seasoning with salt and pepper, lemon juice, then put it on the grill.

HINT 1: In this game we learn that Toads love rock paper scissors so much that they even hold giant tournaments.
HINT 2: Your sidekick partner is a paint bucket.

38 - After a trilogy of events with one certain spiky haired protagonist in a blue suit, here comes the follow up with a new protagonist.

HINT: It's a point and click adventure.

37 - Lots and lots of superheroes fight in various constellations to obtain six powerful stones.

HINT: This game starts with the Guardians of the Galaxy.

36 - One fiery demon fights to obtain six powerful stones.

HINT: The protagonist is a regular enemy in a related series.

34 - In this handheld game you're exploring not only one but two creepy castles at the same time which are linked by dimensional gates.

33 - A, B and C travel in their ship D and try to survive after a crash.



TruckOSaurus said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

40) Not the right one no, but it doesn't leave many options left!

33) Not it either

33: Devil May Cry 3?

Nope, that's also not the one.



Major Switch Titles Launch Aligned

2021 predictions:

  • Switch - 27m
  • PS5 - 15.5m
  • Xbox Series - 10m

GoOnKid said:

39 - At one point in this RPG you fight a giant steak as a boss and win by cooking it properly. Flattening it, seasoning with salt and pepper, lemon juice, then put it on the grill.

HINT 1: In this game we learn that Toads love rock paper scissors so much that they even hold giant tournaments.
HINT 2: Your sidekick partner is a paint bucket.

38 - After a trilogy of events with one certain spiky haired protagonist in a blue suit, here comes the follow up with a new protagonist.

HINT: It's a point and click adventure.

37 - Lots and lots of superheroes fight in various constellations to obtain six powerful stones.

HINT: This game starts with the Guardians of the Galaxy.

36 - One fiery demon fights to obtain six powerful stones.

HINT: The protagonist is a regular enemy in a related series.

34 - In this handheld game you're exploring not only one but two creepy castles at the same time which are linked by dimensional gates.

33 - A, B and C travel in their ship D and try to survive after a crash.

39) Paper Mario: Color Splash?



Major Switch Titles Launch Aligned

2021 predictions:

  • Switch - 27m
  • PS5 - 15.5m
  • Xbox Series - 10m

UnderwaterFunktown said:
GoOnKid said:

39 - At one point in this RPG you fight a giant steak as a boss and win by cooking it properly. Flattening it, seasoning with salt and pepper, lemon juice, then put it on the grill.

HINT 1: In this game we learn that Toads love rock paper scissors so much that they even hold giant tournaments.
HINT 2: Your sidekick partner is a paint bucket.

38 - After a trilogy of events with one certain spiky haired protagonist in a blue suit, here comes the follow up with a new protagonist.

HINT: It's a point and click adventure.

37 - Lots and lots of superheroes fight in various constellations to obtain six powerful stones.

HINT: This game starts with the Guardians of the Galaxy.

36 - One fiery demon fights to obtain six powerful stones.

HINT: The protagonist is a regular enemy in a related series.

34 - In this handheld game you're exploring not only one but two creepy castles at the same time which are linked by dimensional gates.

33 - A, B and C travel in their ship D and try to survive after a crash.

39) Paper Mario: Color Splash?

Correct!