By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread | The 12th Annual Greatest Games Event

UnderwaterFunktown said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

32.  Metal Gear Solid 2

29.  Super Mario Bros.

28.  The Adventures of Lolo 2

27.  Is this one of the many Kingdom Hearts games?

32) Mission Accomplished, Liquid Snake Laser

29) Nope

28) Nope, but already guessed by S. Peelman

27) Nah it isn't, it does seem like something that might happen in Kingdom Hearts though :D

Shhh...don't give away my secret identity.  That sort of thing already happened to Solid Laser and Big Boss Laser.

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:

I only have one new game this time, because the rest is guessed. Hopefully this one will last a bit longer.

#26: The main concept in this game originated from a demo that has a name with a digit double that of another game in this series.

Did anyone get this yet? I'm thinking Super Mario Galaxy (demo was Super Mario 128, double of 64).

drbunnig said:
S.Peelman said:

I only have one new game this time, because the rest is guessed. Hopefully this one will last a bit longer.

#26: The main concept in this game originated from a demo that has a name with a digit double that of another game in this series.

Did anyone get this yet? I'm thinking Super Mario Galaxy (demo was Super Mario 128, double of 64).

There were two incorrect guesses, but you are right. Mario Galaxy it is!

Guessed by The_Liquid_Laser

The highest newcomer on the list, is an old game. Even in it's series, this is not the most recent one. I was contemplating on whether or not I should include sequel 'Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos' on the list, but I chose 'Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness' instead. I'm not sure why, the third game was also pretty great, it's one of the few strategy games I completed the campaign for and it probably has the most gorgeous cutscenes relative to its time, but the second game just tickles my imagination. And I also watched the intro cutscene with the ships like a million times.

So way back when I was actively playing this, there was this awesome book about the game you could buy. It had the title; "Strategy Guide". What that is? I didn't know, but it had a lot of pictures of all the units, all the buildings, and maps of all the single-player levels. There was even artwork in there of cool looking elves and orcs and dwarves. I loved the maps, they were huge screenshots of an entire level, and they showed everything. I could stare at them for hours, even if the print was only black and white. I'd just imagine the colours.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Kakadu18 said:

#29: Hint: The villain of this game wants revenge. Once again he escaped his imprisonment and seeks to defeat his arch nemesis. But this time with an even more elaborate trap.

29. Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge

What is this?

Gotta give another hint:

#29: Hint 2: One of the protagonist's friends made some questionable inventions in the past.

Last edited by Kakadu18 - on 02 December 2021

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:
Farsala said:

Next batch.

31: The 2nd time around for this duo is even better. Hilariously the main antagonist rotted over 2 years.

Banjo Tooie

31- Yes.

coolbeans said:
Farsala said:

Next batch.

32: This game was quite the marvel for early 7th gen, a strong point is the choice of more power earlier or later, in exchange for different endings to the story.
31: The 2nd time around for this duo is even better. Hilariously the main antagonist rotted over 2 years.
30: Killstreaks and zombies, this game started a subseries with at least 4 sequels.
29: 2 factions battle it out in this alternate timeline of WW2.
28: Sometimes due to variance, my modern battle tank will die to a barbarian spearman.

32 - Bioshock

30 - Call of Duty: World at War?

32- Yes

30- No, because there is not a Call of Duty: World at War 2

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Farsala said:

Next batch.

32: This game was quite the marvel for early 7th gen, a strong point is the choice of more power earlier or later, in exchange for different endings to the story.
30: Killstreaks and zombies, this game started a subseries with at least 4 sequels.
28: Sometimes due to variance, my modern battle tank will die to a barbarian spearman.

31.  The Last of Us 2?
29.  Valkyria Chronicles?
28.  Civilization?

31- No

29- No

28- That is the correct series, but I am not sure on the mechanics of the original game.

More hints:

A map called Ascension, is famous for the ability to find multiple circles to mow down zombies.

This game came out on PC, but was also famous on the PS1. The cutscenes were live action, and very impressive for the time.

This game's expansion was recieved very well for adding extra civilizations and special historical scenarios with various victory conditions.

coolbeans said:

@Farsala

CoD: Black Ops. Was going to say either WaW or BO in previous comment. Wasn't sure if you'd count WaW since it's still connected to that storyline.

Yes, Black Ops for sure.

Farsala said:
S.Peelman said:

Banjo Tooie

31- Yes.

coolbeans said:

32 - Bioshock

30 - Call of Duty: World at War?

32- Yes

30- No, because there is not a Call of Duty: World at War 2

The_Liquid_Laser said:

31.  The Last of Us 2?
29.  Valkyria Chronicles?
28.  Civilization?

31- No

29- No

28- That is the correct series, but I am not sure on the mechanics of the original game.

More hints:

A map called Ascension, is famous for the ability to find multiple circles to mow down zombies.

This game came out on PC, but was also famous on the PS1. The cutscenes were live action, and very impressive for the time.

This game's expansion was recieved very well for adding extra civilizations and special historical scenarios with various victory conditions.

28.  Civilization IV?

More hints:

28. a) The company that made this game was known for arcade games and arcade ports.  However, this first entry in their most successful series started on consoles.
b)  There are no sidekicks this time.

27.  The developers of this game also created another series that ended up being their main competitors.  This is the first game of the second series.

26.  This is an arcade game from the 80's that isn't even one of the most popular ones.  I'll try to make the clues easy, because this is not an easy game to guess.  You dig around the board like Dig Dug, but the game uses apples instead of rocks.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

More hints:

28. a) The company that made this game was known for arcade games and arcade ports.  However, this first entry in their most successful series started on consoles.
b)  There are no sidekicks this time.

27.  The developers of this game also created another series that ended up being their main competitors.  This is the first game of the second series.

26.  This is an arcade game from the 80's that isn't even one of the most popular ones.  I'll try to make the clues easy, because this is not an easy game to guess.  You dig around the board like Dig Dug, but the game uses apples instead of rocks.

#27: Rockband

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]