By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread | The 12th Annual Greatest Games Event

Farsala said:
Kakadu18 said:

#32: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

When I first saw this game on the eshop in 2019 I had never heard of it before but it looked very appealing to me. So I got it and sunk several hundred hours into it before ever looking it up. I had no idea that this game was such a big deal before that. And deservedly so. It's fantastic.

I didn't nearly do everything there is to do but alot nonetheless. The amount of different quests and stuff to do is staggering. And it never feels like filler.

I liked reading some of the huge amount of books you can find anywhere.

What's also great about Skyrim is how cheesy it is. Less than Oblivion from what I've seen, but the stuff some NPCs say is just hilarious and the bugs (didn't encounter that many actually) are more funny than anything.

The leveling system is very cool and the shouts are like items in Zelda games, allowing you to do stuff you previously couldn't, like screaming people to death and making them nervous.

It's a very well designed game with it's only real drawbacks being the a bit repetetive dungeons (although the puzzles are great) and the clunky combat. Other stuff like some NPCs dialogue not changing after you literally become their guild leader doesn't detract from what is a otherwise a highly intricately designed world.

In the end I sunk over 500 hours into Skyrim and it was a ton of fun.

A little sad for me that Skyrim was your first foray into the franchise. But you definitely aren't the only one.

I only ever had Nintendo consoles, so I never got the chance to play Morrowind and Oblivion.

Around the Network
Farsala said:

Next batch.

31: The 2nd time around for this duo is even better. Hilariously the main antagonist rotted over 2 years.

Banjo Tooie

Kingdom Hearts 2

YoY: -6

To be perfectly honest, Kingdom Hearts is quite a silly series of games. Half of the time the story is almost incomprehensible, the combination of Disney characters with Final Fantasy really shouldn't work, and the lore behind the setting is baffling to the point of lunacy, and yet that's kind of why I like the series. It's stupid, childish, and weird, but at the same time the series is also sincere and heartfelt, in a way that very few video games are, especially within the AAA side of the industry.

The best game in the series, of the ones that I've played, is Kingdom Hearts 2. It improved significantly on the gameplay from the first game, making the battle much more fast-paced and exciting, and the story hadn't quite yet devolved into the utter insanity it would eventually turn to, so there was a nice balance still remaining here. The music by Yoko Shimomura is also excellent, as her work usually is, and despite the silliness of the whole premise the characters still stay with you because they feel genuine in how they're written. These games are never not going to be weird and silly, but that's a large part of their charm.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

More hints on my games:

29.  a) I still haven't beaten a final boss of this game, but the decisions you make during gameplay determine if you will even encounter him.
b)  The battle music during this particular boss fight seems to be really popular.  I have found people enjoying it who have never played the game its from.

28. The company that made this game was known for arcade games and arcade ports.  However, this first entry in their most successful series started on consoles.

29) Now I'm sure it's Undertale. I actually tried to guess this yesterday, but then the site stopped working on my PC :-/

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Update. Not gonna throw another hint at 33 for now, because I think there can't be that many series celebrating their 25th anniversary currently. The series isn't Pokémon for those that missed that.

33) You spent much of this game in a preposterously tall tower.

Hint 2: You play as the vessel.

Hint 3: Part of a series that has done a pretty poor job celebrating it's 25th anniversary... so far.

32) The protagonist for this game looks decidedly different from the other protagonist of the series.

Hint 2: Mainly because the other protagonists look so similar.

Hint 3: Though in one of the other games the protagonist does look a lot older.

29) Death by fish.

28) I both love and hate this second entry in a series where each game is essentially a series of escape rooms.

27) The person think you are, is actually a member of the main villain group of this game.

Around the Network

#29: Hint: The villain of this game wants revenge. Once again he escaped his imprisonment and seeks to defeat his arch nemesis. But this time with an even more elaborate trap.

UnderwaterFunktown said:

29) Death by fish.

28) I both love and hate this second entry in a series where each game is essentially a series of escape rooms.

27) The person think you are, is actually a member of the main villain group of this game.

Everything I thought could be it for 33 has been shot down by all the subsequent hints.

But;

29: Ecco the Dolphin

28: Zero Escape Virtues Last Reward

27: Knights of the Old Republic?

S.Peelman said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

29) Death by fish.

Everything I thought could be it for 33 has been shot down by all the subsequent hints.

But;

29: Ecco the Dolphin

28: Zero Escape Virtues Last Reward

27: Knights of the Old Republic?

Virtue's Last Reward is right! Took a lot longer last year, but I suppose my hint was very direct this time.

The other two unfortunately are wrong.

Farsala said:

Next batch.

32: This game was quite the marvel for early 7th gen, a strong point is the choice of more power earlier or later, in exchange for different endings to the story.
31: The 2nd time around for this duo is even better. Hilariously the main antagonist rotted over 2 years.
30: Killstreaks and zombies, this game started a subseries with at least 4 sequels.
29: 2 factions battle it out in this alternate timeline of WW2.
28: Sometimes due to variance, my modern battle tank will die to a barbarian spearman.

31.  The Last of Us 2?
29.  Valkyria Chronicles?
28.  Civilization?

UnderwaterFunktown said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

More hints on my games:

29.  a) I still haven't beaten a final boss of this game, but the decisions you make during gameplay determine if you will even encounter him.
b)  The battle music during this particular boss fight seems to be really popular.  I have found people enjoying it who have never played the game its from.

28. The company that made this game was known for arcade games and arcade ports.  However, this first entry in their most successful series started on consoles.

29) Now I'm sure it's Undertale. I actually tried to guess this yesterday, but then the site stopped working on my PC :-/

29.  Correct!

UnderwaterFunktown said:

Update. Not gonna throw another hint at 33 for now, because I think there can't be that many series celebrating their 25th anniversary currently. The series isn't Pokémon for those that missed that.

Hint 3: Part of a series that has done a pretty poor job celebrating it's 25th anniversary... so far.

32) The protagonist for this game looks decidedly different from the other protagonist of the series.

29) Death by fish.

32.  Metal Gear Solid 2

29.  Super Mario Bros.

28.  The Adventures of Lolo 2

27.  Is this one of the many Kingdom Hearts games?

Kakadu18 said:

#29: Hint: The villain of this game wants revenge. Once again he escaped his imprisonment and seeks to defeat his arch nemesis. But this time with an even more elaborate trap.

29. Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge

The_Liquid_Laser said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

29) Death by fish.

32.  Metal Gear Solid 2

29.  Super Mario Bros.

28.  The Adventures of Lolo 2

27.  Is this one of the many Kingdom Hearts games?

32) Mission Accomplished, Liquid Snake Laser

29) Nope

28) Nope, but already guessed by S. Peelman

27) Nah it isn't, it does seem like something that might happen in Kingdom Hearts though :D