By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread | The 12th Annual Greatest Games Event

Darashiva said:

#46: Before a new game came out in the series just a while ago, this game from 27 years ago was the last 2D home console entry in the series.

Super Metroid?

Around the Network
Darashiva said:
S.Peelman said:

Okay, maybe it's indeed better to name a couple for some more guessing time per game. I'll do five, and swap in new ones when one's guessed or has to be revealed. So here's five games;

#50: This game was rushed to release, which sadly caused much planned content to be cut or left unfinished, especially near the end-game. Fans however, made many mods, which restored much of this content.
#49: A black-box game of a sport that has the wrong name in Europe.
#48: You actually want to shoot the character you can't shoot.
#47: It looks like you stranded on a lovely island, if it weren't for that bird.
#46: After you seemingly died in your sleep, you find that you can return to your own world through a mirror after first finding the sun, moon and the stars.

#49 Soccer on NES is the only one that comes to mind

#48 Duckhunt

These are both correct!

Both are probably not really two of the greatest games ever made, but with these it's more about what they mean in my personal development as a kid.

So with these two guessed here's a little update. Three of these five are now guessed, I'll put up a couple new hints for those that remain, and new games so there's five again tomorrow.

#50: This game was rushed to release, which sadly caused much planned content to be cut or left unfinished, especially near the end-game. Fans however, made many mods, which restored much of this content.
#49: A black-box game of a sport that has the wrong name in Europe. Soccer NES - guessed by Darashiva
#48: You actually want to shoot the character you can't shoot. Duck Hunt - guessed by Darashiva
#47: It looks like you stranded on a lovely island, if it weren't for that bird.
#46: After you seemingly died in your sleep, you find that you can return to your own world through a mirror after first finding the sun, moon and the stars. Child of Light - guessed by Mnementh

Gotta finalize my list tonight and start posting hints!

Signature goes here!

Zippy6 said:
Darashiva said:

#46: Before a new game came out in the series just a while ago, this game from 27 years ago was the last 2D home console entry in the series.

Super Metroid?

Correct.

Machina said:
Darashiva said:

Alright, I finally had some time to think of some hints, so let's start with these.

#50: The asylum thing wasn't quite working, so instead we walled off a part of the city to keep them in instead.

#49: A very angry man becomes slightly less angry and learns to get along with others.

#48: A potato can generate just barely enough power.

#47: The most recent big cross-over punch-up in this series.

48 = Portal 2.

Edit - and is 46 Super Metroid?

Correct on both, but someone else got Super Metroid a bit earlier.

Can I ask questions here? I have made my list, and I'm listing the platform in which I played first each game, but I have a couple that I played first on emulators. Should I clarify that?

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:

Ok, here are my hints:
#50: TRAINS (and other stuff, gods, demons, alternate dimensions, ghosts, possesion, magic and what not)

That one's probably very hard to guess, so here's another hint:

The protagonist is known to be lazy and always oversleeps.

Now it's probably easy.

mZuzek said:

Okay, gonna put just one more hint there for today, I think it'll help.

#50 - This game's protagonist enters a group of hackers to try and recover an account that was stolen from him.
Hint 2 - While it has never been named by anyone here, it is a sort-of sequel to a game that has been named in 2016 and 2017.
Hint 3 - Since then, these two games have been released as a collection and ported to more platforms.
Hint 4 - Between all their releases combined, these two are the best-selling games in this franchise, but that isn't saying much.
Hint 5 - These games are often compared to an extremely popular JRPG franchise, but they're more similar to another JRPG series.

#49 - It's an open-world game made by a really small team.

I feel like #50 reminds me of Digimon Cyber Sleuth.

#48 The main focus of this game is building a castle and getting your economy rolling. When that happens, all you need to do is kill the enemy king to win. This particular game is a little bit of an off shoot from the main franchise, but might be more popular.

In this game you can hire a bunch of mercenaries like horse archers or arabic swordsmen. They are best used for some sort of rush because they cost too much for their value.

mZuzek said:
Farsala said:

I feel like #50 reminds me of Digimon Cyber Sleuth.

You're not far off.

Hacker's Memory then.

Farsala said:

#48 The main focus of this game is building a castle and getting your economy rolling. When that happens, all you need to do is kill the enemy king to win. This particular game is a little bit of an off shoot from the main franchise, but might be more popular.

In this game you can hire a bunch of mercenaries like horse archers or arabic swordsmen. They are best used for some sort of rush because they cost too much for their value.

Stronghold Crusader?