By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread | The 12th Annual Greatest Games Event

Hiku said:

*Breathing intensifies*

Kakadu18 said:

Ok, here are my hints:
#50: TRAINS (and other stuff, gods, demons, alternate dimensions, ghosts, possesion, magic and what not)
#49: you jump alot, all the time, nonstop (you could guess the franchise maybe)
#48: blocks (guess that's an easy one)

@Kakadu18 

#49 Was going to say Jump King, but I don't think it's a franchise. And probably not Jumping Flash because I doubt that's on anyone's top 50.
#48 Minecraft

Never heard of Jump King nor Jumping Flash. It's an a bit more popular game.

#48 wrong, try again.

Around the Network
Jpcc86 said:
S.Peelman said:

50: World of Warcraft lol

48: Star Fox Adventures?

50.- You are obviously correct!

49.- Good guess, but nope, entirely different game. 

Hmm maybe Kid Icarus Uprising but I’m not sure that fits…

Hiku said:
Kakadu18 said:

Never heard of Jump King nor Jumping Flash. It's an a bit more popular game.

#48 wrong, try again.

#49 Mario then? But there are many games where you jump just as much, if not more, and there are other more distinct features to describe the Mario series than jumping, so I'm not sure.
#48 Tetris?

Both of them are right.

I just thought, it's a platformer, so "you jump" is a good description.

Didn't think of Minecraft when giving the hint. It's a specific version though.

Wanna give any hints yourself?

mZuzek said:

I was gonna start hinting only tomorrow, but... the first game on my list has never appeared on anyone's top 50, so it's hardly gonna be something everyone here knows about. That said, it has a connection with a title that has made an appearance on two prior Greatest Games Events, but not in any of those I've hosted.

#50 - This game's protagonist enters a group of hackers to try and recover an account that was stolen from him.

This sounds pretty cryptic.

Alright, before I start giving hints to my list this year I might as well mention the games that dropped off for one reason or another. Five new games found their way into my top 50 this year, which means 5 old games also had to leave it.

• Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King (#50 last year) - I need to get around to replaying DQVIII at some point as its been close to 15 years now since I last did so. It's perfectly possible that if I ever do get around to playing it again, Journey of the Cursed King might find its way back into my top 50, but right now it just doesn't quite feel like it belongs there anymore. I may have just forgotten how great it was, but for now it's goodbye.
  • Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2 (#48 last year) - No specific reason for this one dropping off, besides just a number of new games getting in and pushing RE2 off. Still one of my favourite RTSs.
  • Mega Man 4 (#47 last year) - My personal favourite game in my second favourite series of NES games. Sadly, the new games simply pushed it off this year.
  • Rogue Galaxy (#46 last year) - I replayed Rogue Galaxy late last year for the first time in over 10 years, and while I still very much enjoyed it overall, it wasn't quite as good as I remembered it being from my first playthrough years ago. Still good, just not good enough for a spot in my top 50.
  • Tekken 5 (#43 last year) - Another victim of new games and some other minor shuffling happening in the top 50. Great fighting game regardless, the best in the series in my opinion.

And that's that taken care of. Hints probably tomorrow, once I have the time to think of some.

Around the Network

Okay, maybe it's indeed better to name a couple for some more guessing time per game. I'll do five, and swap in new ones when one's guessed or has to be revealed. So here's five games;

#50: This game as rushed to release, which sadly caused much planned content to be cut or left unfinished, especially near the end-game. Fans however, made many mods, which restored much of this content.
#49: A black-box game of a sport that has the wrong name in Europe.
#48: You actually want to shoot the character you can't shoot.
#47: It looks like you stranded on a lovely island, if it weren't for that bird.
#46: After you seemingly died in your sleep, you find that you can return to your own world through a mirror after first finding the sun, moon and the stars.

Machina said:
Farsala said:

No, but there is online multiplayer and is a kind of RPG.

My #1, Diablo II? ;)

No, always wanted to play it.

Mnementh said:
Farsala said:

My #50 can be a repetitive game, but the more you play the more rewarding. The entire goal of the game is too have fun playing doing the same thing over and over in order to get better.

It's probably something else, but your description meets many games, including Project Zomboid.

No, never heard of it.

Kakadu18 said:
Farsala said:

My #50 can be a repetitive game, but the more you play the more rewarding. The entire goal of the game is too have fun playing doing the same thing over and over in order to get better.

Grinder Simulator

No, sounds fun though!

S.Peelman said:
Farsala said:

Minecraft? Though not sure about the multiplayer aspect.

No, this game is even less diverse than that.

Hint 2: This game is characterized by doing the same thing over and over, but with a choice of different weapons. Getting more skilled with these weapons, is the key to enjoying this game. Building up different sets is always so fun.

Honorable Mention: Crusader Kings 2

I have been pretty bored and annoyed with Paradox games as of late so unfortunately CK3 and etc. has brought CK2 down with it. It becomes an Honorable mention purely because I quite enjoyed the time that I had with it, but the desire to play again is not so much there anymore.

#49 features historical figures from the country that I currently reside in. I visited a statue of one of the greats from that era, Masamune Date. I hope to visit Kenshin Ueseugi at some point.

S.Peelman said:

Hmm maybe Kid Icarus Uprising but I’m not sure that fits…

Im afraid its not

Hiku said:

Super Mario RPG?

Yep, you got that one

Farsala said:

Hint 2: This game is characterized by doing the same thing over and over, but with a choice of different weapons. Getting more skilled with these weapons, is the key to enjoying this game. Building up different sets is always so fun.

#49 features historical figures from the country that I currently reside in. I visited a statue of one of the greats from that era, Masamune Date. I hope to visit Kenshin Ueseugi at some point.

#50 is Monster Hunter. Which one is a bit harder, let's bet on the newest one, MonHUn Rise.

#49 sound like Samurai Warriors. I think 5 is the current one, so let's choose that.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

S.Peelman said:

#46: After you seemingly died in your sleep, you find that you can return to your own world through a mirror after first finding the sun, moon and the stars.

Child of Light

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]