By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread | The 12th Annual Greatest Games Event

The_Liquid_Laser said:

More hints from me:

22. a) This Switch game is really two classic games put together.
b)  One of these two classic games used to be the best selling game of all time.  
c)  The other of the two classic games was produced by Sega.  Also the game I'm looking for is produced by Sega, and I'm looking for the first one in the series.

21.  a)  There is a DJ Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince song that feels like it is inspired by this game.
b)  Some characters in this game were originally used in arcade versions of this series.  However, one new character is a monarch from the South Pacific.
c)  Another character from the game sounds like it could be on McDonald's menu for kids.

19.  This is game made specifically for consoles, and it's made by a famous PC game developer who seems to like to put his own name in several of his games' titles.

18.  I managed to beat this game without even knowing how to beat the titular enemy.

21. I don't know about the first hint but I'm gonna say Super Punch Out!! Hint b would be King Hippo and hint c Mad Clown?

19. Sid Meier's Something

18. Metroid

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

More hints from me:

b)  One of these two classic games used to be the best selling game of all time.  
c)  The other of the two classic games was produced by Sega.  Also the game I'm looking for is produced by Sega, and I'm looking for the first one in the series.

21.  a)  There is a DJ Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince song that feels like it is inspired by this game.
b)  Some characters in this game were originally used in arcade versions of this series.  However, one new character is a monarch from the South Pacific.
c)  Another character from the game sounds like it could be on McDonald's menu for kids.

19.  This is game made specifically for consoles, and it's made by a famous PC game developer who seems to like to put his own name in several of his games' titles.

18.  I managed to beat this game without even knowing how to beat the titular enemy.

21. I don't know about the first hint but I'm gonna say Super Punch Out!! Hint b would be King Hippo and hint c Mad Clown?

18. Metroid

21.  Right series, wrong game.  King Hippo would be a new character in this game.

19.  already guessed

18.  Correct!  I'm actually impressed that you got it off of that one clue.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
TruckOSaurus said:

18. Metroid

21.  Right series, wrong game.  King Hippo would be a new character in this game.

19.  already guessed

21. Punch Out!! on NES then.

18. Not many games named after an enemy (or at least not many I could think of).

Signature goes here!

The_Liquid_Laser said:

More hints from me:

#22: Puyo Puyo Tetris

19. Ico (Playstation 2 – 2001)

Ico does not have as much of a cult following as Shadow of the Colossus, nor does it have nearly as much critical praise and mainstream discussion, it also does not have a remake for a modern system. However, Ico deserves as much praise as its more popular successor, it is an artistic accomplishment, set in a beautiful world, with clever puzzles and a gorgeous minimalistic story about companionship. This should really be played by anyone.

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

19.  already guessed

21. Punch Out!! on NES then.

18. Not many games named after an enemy (or at least not many I could think of).

21 is correct!

Kakadu18 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

More hints from me:

#22: Puyo Puyo Tetris

22 is correct!

Unguessed

There's plenty of great Star Wars games. The best era for these was during the Golden Age, which I say is from halfway through the 90s until the first half of the 2000s, because when else. The 'Jedi Knight' series falls right into this. It's complicated actually because the series started out with 'Dark Forces' (#41), and then came 'Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II', which was followed by 'Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast' here at a respectable #19 placement in the list. Jedi Outcast in return was followed by 'Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy', with no number 3 attached to it. To be fair that game, while also fun, does feel a bit like a spin-off.

The game has great locations that really feel "Star Wars". Of course, two are movie locations as well, but the others are gritty underworld goodness. There's a couple of familiar characters, namely Luke Skywalker and Lando Calrissian (even voiced by Billy Dee Williams himself), but the secret stars of the show are the Reborn and their enhanced brothers the Shadow Troopers. These are enemies with Force Powers and Lightsabers, and combat in this game feels absolutely awesome. So awesome in fact, that I used to save the game right before every encounter with any of these enemies, and there are a lot, and every now and then replay the saves of the coolest ones. Just to fight them again.

So sadly #19 remained unguessed. Farsala came close with guessing it was a Star Wars game, but sadly couldn't put his finger on it. Time to move on. #18 is in a similar position as #19 was; it's coming into its last day, so here's a final hint, barring maybe a last minute one fifth hint if someone gets close. Also new hints for #17 and #16 and the first for #15.

#18: This game features a building named "Kong Tower", which is fitting because it kind of looks like the real 'Kong' tower.

Hint 2: It's $$$ commercial and 3x3 large.

Hint 3: The funny thing is, even though this is a big and tall building, it'll be gone again in no time if you don't check the box to make it a monument.

Hint 4: So at some point I have like 20 monumented skyscrapers in my city because otherwise before you know it's gone and there's a 3x3 "Crazy Larry's Flea Market" in its place. And that wouldn't really be realistic would it.

#17: The Mac OS version of this game (at least) featured an interesting anti-piracy measure where you had to look up letters in the manual.

Hint 2: Once you find the correct letter, you can drink the correct bottle and the door to the next level opens. Drink the wrong one, and die.

Hint 3: This actually mirrors the rest of the game, most bottles are for health, while some take health. You see this by the color of its plume. Obviously though there is no plume in the lettered bottles because that would be too easy to guess.

#16: Breaking a mirror brings bad luck. Maybe the bad guy in this game shouldn't have broken the mirror.

Hint 2: The bad guy also should've known that the mirror would break in only four pieces, and that they would conveniently end up at the end of as many sinister places.

#15: This game was named something else where I live due to trademark issues.

Only one guess for #24, the rest remain a mystery.

27: Starting off with a big empire is fine and dandy, at least until possible revolutions happen. You could lose half of your empire in an instant.

So to prevent massive revolutions, you have to make sure to build buildings that increase public order and divy out titles to your top generals.

The more land you get, the more titles. In this game you can take land by attacking adjacent provinces instantly.

26: Having control of the sea, expands trade massively. Having control of land, just looks cool.

Revolution is possible here too, but it is more centralized to certain cities.

When you get a giant empire, there are usually a few other opposing empires. Egypt and someone in Carthage usually, but it is always different.

25: A massive magma titan wants to kill you, and everything in its path.

Okay, actually he doesn't want to kill you. He just kills all normal humans so that special people can live.

The special people are called Conduits.

24: One of the most pivotal games of all open world games. This game features 3 factions vying for control of the continent.

Bethesda. Jump to increase Acrobatics. Run to increase Athletics. Use a spear to increase spear skills. Use an Axe to increase Axe skills.

In addition to 3 main factions there are other factions like the Fighters Guild, Mages Guild, and the Morag Tong. All of which have fun questlines to complete.

23: Hacking and slashing is back, this time with a 4th faction.

The 3 original factions, also got more characters. But one faction lost a few characters to the new faction, although I consider them combined to be a massive faction. The 3 original factions were deadlocked in a stalemate war for 43 years.

The 4th faction is known as the Jin.

TheWalrusCaesar said:

and now some hints

#19 - the 7th entry in a casual party series that only requires one person to own and host

#18 - a raccoon (well technically not a raccoon but close enough) fucks around in the 3rd dimension

#17 - Just barely released b4 the deadline by 2 days lmao

#16 - The final entry in a game series that also has a TV Show running that is currently on its final season

bumping this in case any1 wants to give some guesses before I give the answers