By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Japan's Love for Xbox Series? (New Poll)

Will the Xbox Series consoles even sell half of the Xbox 360 lifetime sales(808,064)?

Yes, but it will be very close 1 10.00%

Yes, it will even break a million 3 30.00%

No, but it will be very close 2 20.00%

No, it won't even reach 700,000 4 40.00%

Total:10
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I was kind of hoping Switch sales would hit 200k+ this week, especially with reports of lotteries being used.  The low supply might have been out of Nintendo's control.  That is a reasonable explanation.  Although this is Nintendo, and I could also see them underestimating demand, which they have been known to do.

rapsuperstar31 said:

What is the cause of the increased sales in Japan? Are those that never owned the system buying it to play all past games they missed on gamepass, or are they buying it for the future games that will be coming to the system? I don't read all of the weekly famitsu sales charts has there ever been an Xbox X game on the top 30 sold list of any given week? Even Playstatoin 5 games rarely crack into the top 30 list for more than a few weeks before Switch games from 4 years ago passes them by on the weekly charts.

I think that is exactly what is going on. People who bought the X1 back in 2013 had a very limited catalog of games to play on it, but this time around, people who are new to the Xbox ecosystem have instant access to thousands of games from different generations. You add GamePass to the mix and Xbox is suddenly a no brainer for new gamers who still don't have an alliance to one platform, or to be used as a secondary platform.

Around the Network

Next developer Xbox acquires: Nihon Falcom. This would certainly ruffle some feathers. And give Xbox a good amount of IPs.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

While it's not a night and day difference, I think we need to remember that Series S|X are selling out while Xbox One was sitting on shelves. It's hard to actually tell how well the Series consoles will do but I'd bet north of the original Xbox if it can sustain momentum (maybe MS gets another JP to help appeal to japan with Tango).

Also, no Bris slander pls

DonFerrari said:

For weeks where there is almost no inventory for X, I would have no doubt S would be a lot ahead of it. But yes, I was referencing the total sales. And I would guess this is somewhat similar for the other regions.

The last week that was posted for spain sales had Series X|S at 1200 (1000 S, 200X), so yeah it seems like a similar lack of X.

500,000 Xbox is enough to be considered a success in today's Japan.

Around the Network
Mnementh said:

Next developer Xbox acquires: Nihon Falcom. This would certainly ruffle some feathers. And give Xbox a good amount of IPs.

I would worry that they would be abused by MS.

People in this thread and OP got it all wrong.

It is not that Japan is showing particular love for the Xbox Series. In fact Xbox Series is probably still disliked.

Instead, it is that Japan showed particular disdain for the Xbox One, due to MS's decision making and marketing.

dx11332sega said:

It's not loved as much as Xbox 360 , Xbox Series is having a great start yes , but Xbox Series has to many Western games and lesser Japanese games except for AAA Japanese , XBox 360 did better because it had Japanese First Party Exclusives like Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon and Decent amount of SHmups and other quarky games exclusive to Xbox 360 until Xbox Series Starts putting actually Japanese first party games and brings in few exclusive 3rd party japanese games then it'll outsell Xbox 360 , Microsoft first party is loaded with western games and Evil within feels western Microsoft needs to purchase the right Japanese 3rd party studio to truly entice Japanese crowd to beat Xbox 360 Lost Odyssey is too good Microsoft needs Something Like Atelier Ryza or someone as first party? 

These other Japanese exclusive games not shmup on Xbox 360 

Magna Carta 2

Phantasy Star Universe

Guardian Heroes

Dungeon Fighter Live 

Phantom of Inferno

Every Party 

Rumble Roses double XX

Microsoft's Own Japanese franchise (Ninety Nine Nights 1 and 2 )

etc , theres handful of other japanese games not on ps3 - ps5 

The first 2 years of X360 had plenty Japanese exclusives that either never showed on PS3 or took a long time (sure most received some polish and/or extra content, but well it was so long after that it didn't really matter) so yep that certainly helped push some X360 on Japanese markets.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Xbox Series consoles have now outsold Xbox One's Lifetime hardware sales in under a year. It's great to see a renewed interest in the Xbox brand.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

I'm curious, with the supply shortages, how much they would have sold in Japan by this point had there not been shortages. And I don't just mean that in the way most would, but because, I'd imagine, with limited supplies, that Microsoft has shipped more to places where demand is higher.

In an ideal economic situation, there would be surplus, so you can have whatever is in demand from each market ready to sell in that market. But this situation isn't ideal, so I'd imagine MS is prioritizing USA for receiving shipments since that is where most of the demand is for Xbox, therefore even moreso limited their potential success in Japan. Basically, I'm arguing that the pandemic is disproportionately impacting sales of consoles in markets that there isn't as much demand in in order to maximize sales/revenue/profits for the company by focusing on markets where there is higher demand.