By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Japan's Love for Xbox Series? (New Poll)

Will the Xbox Series consoles even sell half of the Xbox 360 lifetime sales(808,064)?

Yes, but it will be very close 1 10.00%

Yes, it will even break a million 3 30.00%

No, but it will be very close 2 20.00%

No, it won't even reach 700,000 4 40.00%

Total:10

Japan is mobile country now. I expect the rest of the world to become mobile slowly as well.

They already are, honestly: smart phones are everywhere.

Around the Network
dx11332sega said:

It's not loved as much as Xbox 360 , Xbox Series is having a great start yes , but Xbox Series has to many Western games and lesser Japanese games except for AAA Japanese , XBox 360 did better because it had Japanese First Party Exclusives like Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon and Decent amount of SHmups and other quarky games exclusive to Xbox 360 until Xbox Series Starts putting actually Japanese first party games and brings in few exclusive 3rd party japanese games then it'll outsell Xbox 360 , Microsoft first party is loaded with western games and Evil within feels western Microsoft needs to purchase the right Japanese 3rd party studio to truly entice Japanese crowd to beat Xbox 360 Lost Odyssey is too good Microsoft needs Something Like Atelier Ryza or someone as first party? 

Does Xbox have to have Japanese games made by Japanese game developers to do well in Japan?  The Japanese market is already flooded with Japanese games.  Sure having a few couldn't hurt, but you would think they would be interested in new western RPG's because of the lack thereof on the other platforms.  Switch does have games like the Witcher 3 and Skyrim and Kingdom's of Amalur, but they are dated and could be played on Playstation.  The way Japanese games appeal to me in the US, I would think the opposite could be true as well.  I don't think Xbox should try to be like the competition. The different type of games from what they already have access to, should be the appeal.

Last edited by DroidKnight - on 11 November 2021

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

That's great news. All ms needs to do is buy some Japanese developers and lock the games to pc and xbox and put it on gamepass day 1. That will increase it even bugger than what 360 achieved 

DroidKnight said:
dx11332sega said:

It's not loved as much as Xbox 360 , Xbox Series is having a great start yes , but Xbox Series has to many Western games and lesser Japanese games except for AAA Japanese , XBox 360 did better because it had Japanese First Party Exclusives like Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon and Decent amount of SHmups and other quarky games exclusive to Xbox 360 until Xbox Series Starts putting actually Japanese first party games and brings in few exclusive 3rd party japanese games then it'll outsell Xbox 360 , Microsoft first party is loaded with western games and Evil within feels western Microsoft needs to purchase the right Japanese 3rd party studio to truly entice Japanese crowd to beat Xbox 360 Lost Odyssey is too good Microsoft needs Something Like Atelier Ryza or someone as first party? 

Does Xbox have to have Japanese games made by Japanese game developers to do well in Japan?  The Japanese market is already flooded with Japanese games.  Sure having a few couldn't hurt, but you would think they would be interested in new western RPG's because of the lack thereof on the other platforms.  Switch does have games like the Witcher 3 and Skyrim and Kingdom's of Amalur, but they are dated and could be played on Playstation.  The way Japanese games appeal to me in the US, I would think the opposite could be true as well.  I don't think Xbox should try to be like the competition. The different type of games from what they already have access to, should be the appeal.

From my limited viewing of the Japanese market well known Wrpgs tend to have a similar sales pattern in line with other western games of similar stature, in that you often see them release at the top of the weekly chart or close to it with sales in the hundreds of K's but unlike those Japanese counterparts with similar opening sales they drop away pretty quick.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 11 November 2021

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

If the XBOX Series consoles continue to sell at this rate, it could be the most successful XBOX console in Japan. I know the 360 would have sold more but it took a lot of promotion for it to do what it did. Likewise the progress it did make vanished overnight after Final Fantasy XIII launched.

Around the Network

Xbox Series isn't terribly behind the 360 though still a hefty amount, 115k vs 187k but the gap has shrunk since week 30. It's not unrecoverable however 360 is just about to get the Blue Dragon launch which catapulted 360 sales in Japan, not sure if Xbox Series is going to see the same kind of boost this holiday and if it doesn't get a boost like that the fight with the 360 might be over.

No idea what happened with Xbox One. 30 weeks in it's ahead of Series and then it just completely flatlines and never recovers.

"love" is a strong word. Better but still bad.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Mnementh said:

Next developer Xbox acquires: Nihon Falcom. This would certainly ruffle some feathers. And give Xbox a good amount of IPs.

No chance in hell is that happening. Nor should it. No one should own them. Let them be the great small company theyv'e always been. This would more likely kill them than anything.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Spade said:

Get Persona on Xbox pls!

They really should, especially with the Xbox Series already outselling the Xbox One in Japan. Unless there's some kind of exclusivity deals, Persona 5 Strikers and the upcoming port of Persona 4 Arena Ultimax should be on Xbox. And some more main titles like Persona 4 Golden and Persona 5 Royal should be available as well. 

If the Xbox Series sells over a million in Japan, that's probably enough to be successful by Xbox in Japan standards. 

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

kirby007 said:

slightly less dead but still dead if you ask me

Yeah it's a pretty lukewarm love affair if they were married both parties would be sleeping in different bedrooms, I suppose the best that can be said is compared to the Xbox one they actually live in the same prefecture and they do seem to aspire to the lofty heights reached by the 360 of having once made fleeting eye contact.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot