By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MS planning big takeover,wants to take games away from Nintendo/Sony (Rumor)

Technically Microsoft is in third place and still need to do much more if they want to be the market leader.

Its good news for everyone since Microsoft put their games on so many platform.

Around the Network
chakkra said:
Runa216 said:

Yeah, but Sony does it well. Xbox keeps sucking pretty bad at it. Like I said in my post, they have all this potential and all this money but after years of buying games and exclusives, somehow they STILL have nothing and have been in last place since 2017. 

Have you never noticed that you get to this conclusion at the end of every conversation?

I mean, the numbers really don't lie. Sales numbers, review scores...those are about as objective as you can get, I think.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Dulfite said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Curious. How would we do that exactly? 

I actually agree with everything else you said. Plus MS seems committed to streaming, which means no more buy clumsy giant PCs and consoles to enjoy games in their full glory (I'm aware it won't be the reality of my country for at least 20 years, but it will be eventually)

It's an American company, and in the USA we have anti-monopoly laws. The government doesn't typically start talking about breaking up a mega company until it starts doing anti-consumer things, such as FaceBook getting itself increasingly involved in censoring information (for example). If MS were to buy the whole game industry and continue saving people tons of money via subscriptions, then there would be no need to break it up. If it were to become anti-consumer, then there are already systems in place to initiate the breakup of the company, we would just need to activate those systems via elected officials. If they are anti-consumer, constituents will pressure their elected officials to break MS up, if they are pro-consumer, then there will be no public pressure to break it up.

So all that we need is to trust usa citizens and government 

Brilliant. I'm sure it will 100% work how everything else there 

Ever since the original Xbox launched, we were all predicting a time when Microsoft would open its wallet and go a on a blitzkrieg of epic proportions. It never happened. But maybe that's about to change. Regardless of the implications on the industry, it should be interesting to watch.

EA? Activision? 

Scary to think they could afford either one, if they wanted to.

i think they would need to recover and recoup that 7.5 bil before purchasing another mega company,
yeah they swimming in cash but they will wait for this 7.5 bil acquisition to be successful 1st before doing it again...
buying another 7.5+ bill company without return of investment isnt like a simple walk into Mordor.

Around the Network
LivncA_Dis3 said:

i think they would need to recover and recoup that 7.5 bil before purchasing another mega company,
yeah they swimming in cash but they will wait for this 7.5 bil acquisition to be successful 1st before doing it again...
buying another 7.5+ bill company without return of investment isnt like a simple walk into Mordor.

It is that simple when you have over 100bn in cash sitting in the bank. For financial reasons it's far better to invest that cash than have it sitting somewhere generating nothing. They will definitely be more acquisitions, we just don't know when.

Libara said:
LivncA_Dis3 said:

It is that simple when you have over 100bn in cash sitting in the bank. For financial reasons it's far better to invest that cash than have it sitting somewhere generating nothing. They will definitely be more acquisitions, we just don't know when.

i mean every bethesda game stopped selling after the takeover

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

I hope MS buy Capcom and force them to make only Breath of Fire games.

Bethesda was a big PC dev, then it became multiplat and it became huge. If MS starts limiting multiplat big releases, other devs and publishers will claim that space MS left vacant. It happened when Windows failed on mobile market, console market is much smaller, so more companies are able to fill free space, not to mention that in the age of digital download logistics don't limit small devs and publishers anymore, anybody could claim that space with the right games.
MS is doing the right thing investing some of its huge cash to both profit more and recover at least some of the almost absolute power it enjoyed in the personal computing market in the past, but its efforts to not just keep its profits and power huge, but also to recover absolute power in one market and obtain it in another one too, are actually putting it at risk of backfire. It won't be a deadly risk, but it could damage the companies it takes over, damage gamepass profitabilty and significantly limit the power MS will actually gain from the takeovers. Before Bethesda takeover, I thought Nadella was carefully avoiding to repeat the mistakes Lardmer committed for his craving for absolute power, but while Nadella is neither aggressive, nor paranoid, it looks like he could fall into the same trap anyway. It won't be a horrible defeat like Ballmer ones, MS will earn a lot of money, but it won't get the power it hoped.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Runa216 said:
smroadkill15 said:

All the talk was that MS didn't care, well now we get to see what it's like when MS cares. These people have to be happy now, right?

You know what would be even better? If Microsoft used their existing resources and teams to make games instead of just buying existing companies and accumulating IP. As it stands, they have all the money in the world and all the buying power you could ask for, yet it appears they are terrible at managing their studios. If they were better at management, we'd have seen some new games and new IPs by now. They've been touting all these new studios they've acquired for what, 4-5 years now? How many times in the last half-decade have they had entire blocks of their E3 Showcase dedicated to telling the world about all these studios and teams they bought? 

I know that game development takes time, but it's time. It's time to see some results. If they buy Bethesda and we get Starfield, I'm sorry but that's not because Microsoft funded it, that was them buying a game in development for multiple systems that they've purchased exclusive rights to. If they buy Arkane and make Redfall exclusive, that's not Microsoft making Redfall, that's them buying a game/IP that was already in developing and locking it behind their monolith. 

The only reason I don't want to see Microsoft buying studios is that apparently, they suck at it. They keep cancelling games (like Scalebound), they keep putting out bad games (Crackdown 3 and State of Decay 2 and Sea of Thieves, at least at launch), and even the games in the IP that are their holy trinity have been slowly dwindling in sales and reception (Aside from Specifically Forza Horizon). I'd love to be wrong. I'd love to see these investments pay off. But again, we've got a decade of history and patterns to extrapolate from and until we actually see a shift in game reception, output, and sales, it means nothing. 

Microsoft can 'care' all they want. They need to do better. Anyone that rich can throw billions around, but it takes actual talent to make good games. Sony and Nintendo know that, which is why their games sell well and are critically praised and are regularly talking points for the general populace. Microsoft has all the potential to be just as prolific and successful, but for some reason just can't seem to actually deliver on those promises. I'd love to see 2022 just explode with the SEries X getting like 20 amazing, top-range, best-selling, generation-defining games, but I just don't see that happening no matter how much cash they throw at it. We'll get like 5 games, 2 of them will disappoint, one will be truly amazing, and the other two will be alright. That's the pattern they've been going with and even saying 5 exclusives in a year would be their best year since 2016, so even that pessimistic estimate it'd be better than it's been in half a decade. 

I was arguing with someone on twitter recently and I did a bit of a calculation. PS5 in its first year (under my consistent rules of 20+ reviews and 75+ score, not factoring in last generation or PC on all consoles), 14 exclusives so far in its first year with a potential for 4-5 more before November 20th. That's more than Xbox has had as a brand total since 2017, with only 8 games. For comparison's sake, under those same rules, the Switch (the best first year I think ever?) had 12 exclusives, again not factoring in PC or the prior generation. So when Sony buys companies like Insomniac or Sucker Punch or Housemarque, nothing really changes. Nothing's being taken away from other platforms because those companies almost exclusively developed for PS anyway. 

So again, no. I don't want Microsoft to 'care' unless they're also going to be good at their jobs. From the perspective of someone just focusing on the numbers and the sales and the review scores, all I see is Xbox doing the same thing WWE did by buying up all the talent and all the groups and doing nothing with them. Effectively wasting them and wasting all of our time. WWE had Riccochet in their roster for years and he was one of the most exciting wrestlers on the indie circuit, and he was reduced to nothing under their banner. Same with daniel Bryan and so, SO many others. That's Microsoft. They're the richest brand but that doesn't mean they know what to do with all that money. All the potential in the world but no ability to capitalize. Like WWE I'd love to be wrong, I'd love to actually see them succeed because the potential is there and more good content means more diversity, but holy hell I don't want this company doing this in particular because they are SO bad at it until proven otherwise. 

MS bought the studios three years ago, some two years ago or less. And they all had prior projects being worked on or had just released something, like Undead Labs with SoD2. Which isn’t a bad game, by the way, and continues three years later to get amazing support and new free content. Plus oh yeah, COVID.

Oh and great, in your consistent made up criteria Sony has a lot of rereleases and timed console exclusives on PS5, amazing. 20+ reviews and 75+ metascore, incredible! No one cares. And I’m shocked to see that you are complaining about MS mismanaging studios but then also making sure we all know that you in the future won’t even be crediting them with these games that current you is complaining about not seeing.

Wrasslin comparisons at the end, perfect ?