By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts August 2021 Discussion Thread

I reckon we’ll be calling it in favour of Switch during May. By the end of next year Switch should definitely have made the number 3 spot its own with a total over 26 million.
So I agree that it will clearly be the undisputed #3 by then.

Around the Network

The Switch will definitely top the 3DS in the first half of 2022.

Share the article here.

Switch vs PS4 in the US Sales Comparison - August 2021

This monthly series compares the aligned US sales of the Nintendo Switch and the PlayStation 4.

The PS4 launched in the US on November 15, 2013, while the Switch launched on March 3, 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

Switch Vs. PS4 US:

Gap change in latest month: 20,412 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 3,839,897 - Switch

Total Lead: 6,424,775 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 30,653,545

PS4 Total Sales: 24,228,770

August 2021 is the 54th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month, the gap in the US between the Switch and PlayStation 4 grew in favor of the Switch when you align launches. The Switch sold 20,412 more units than the PS4 in the last month. In the last 12 months, the Switch has grown its lead by 3.84 million units. The Switch currently leads by 6.42 million units.

The 54th month on sale for the Switch is August 2021, while for the PS4 it is April 2018. The Switch has sold 30.65 million units, while the PS4 sold 24.23 million units during the same timeframe.

The PS4 did not reach the current Switch sales until month 73 where it sold a total of 31.52 million units.

The PS4 has been available for 94 months in the US and has sold 35.01 million units. The Switch is currently 4.36 million units behind the lifetime sales of the PS4.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Did something happen around this month for PS4? It seems to curve upwards a bit more steeply, and 20k is less of a gain for Switch than usual.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:

Did something happen around this month for PS4? It seems to curve upwards a bit more steeply, and 20k is less of a gain for Switch than usual.

Yep, a little game called God of War released April 2018.

SW-3707-5131-3911

Around the Network
kenjab said:
curl-6 said:

Yep, a little game called God of War released April 2018.

Cheers. Impressive that Switch still gained ground during GoW month despite having a slow August.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Share the article here.

PS4 and Xbox One vs PS3 and Xbox 360 Sales Comparison - August 2021

This monthly series compares the combined aligned sales of the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One with the combined aligned sales of the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

The 94th month for the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One is August 2021, while for the Xbox 360 it is August 2013 and for the PlayStation 3 it is August 2014. This does mean the holiday periods for all four consoles are lined up.

Gap change in latest month: 230,732 - PS3 & X360

Gap change over last 12 months: 9,815,407 - PS3 & X360

Total Lead: 4,519,020 - PS4 & XOne

Total Combined PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 Sales: 162,250,253

Total Combined PlayStation 4 and Xbox One Sales: 166,769,273

In August 2021, the gap grew in favor of the combined sales of the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 when compared to the aligned launch of the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One in the last month by 230,732 units. In the last 12 months, the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 have caught up by 9.82 million units. The PlayStation 4 and Xbox One lead by a combined 4.52 million units.

The PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in their first 94 months sold a combined 162.25 million units, while the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One have sold a combined 166.77 million units. It took until month 99 for the PS3 and Xbox 360 to sell as many units as the current PS4 and Xbox One sales.

The PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 sold a combined 173.22 million units lifetime. The PlayStation 4 and Xbox One are currently 6.45 million units away from surpassing the PS3 and X360.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Extraordinary that even with quite different circumstances, PS + Xbox are headed for almost the exact same total from Gen 7 and Gen 8. I wonder if that will continue for Gen 9; XS and PS5 are trending far ahead of their predecessors now; will they keep this pace, or are they just more frontloaded due to hype culture?

Share the article here.

Switch vs Wii Sales Comparison in the US – August 2021

This monthly series compares the aligned US sales of the Nintendo Switch and the Nintendo Wii.

The Wii launched in November 2006, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

Switch Vs. Wii US:

Gap change in latest month: 139,883 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 2,500,872 - Switch

Total Lead: 4,382,160 - Wii

Switch Total Sales: 30,653,545

Wii Total Sales: 35,035,705

August 2021 is the 54th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in the US. During the latest month, the Switch has shrunk the gap with the Wii when you align the launches by 139,883 million units. In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the Wii by 2.50 million units. The Wii is currently ahead of the Switch by 4.38 million units.

The 54th month for the Nintendo Switch is August 2021 and for the Wii it is April 2011. The Switch has sold 30.65 million units, while the Wii sold 35.04 million units during the same timeframe. The Wii sold current Switch sales in month 49.

The Wii sold 41.70 million units in the US during its lifetime. The Switch needs to sell another 11.05 million units to outsell the Wii.

curl-6 said:

Extraordinary that even with quite different circumstances, PS + Xbox are headed for almost the exact same total from Gen 7 and Gen 8. I wonder if that will continue for Gen 9; XS and PS5 are trending far ahead of their predecessors now; will they keep this pace, or are they just more frontloaded due to hype culture?

More frontloaded due to an increasing pool of gamers with the required spending power. Video games are still such a young entertainment medium that the people who were there in the beginning have not died yet in any significant numbers, so each console generation sees another few million teenagers turn into young adults with jobs and therefore more money to spend.

It also needs to be said that we are still looking at a limited set of sales data in these comparisons, so release timings of noteworthy things can favor one or the other console in such a short span of time. The PS5 and XSX|S combined are tracking ~2.4m ahead of the PS4 and XB1 combined, but the upcoming month favors last generation: The PS4 greatly benefited from the release of Destiny in conjunction with a white PS4, the XB1 had its official launch in many countries that had been left out in November 2013, so for both consoles it was an unusually strong September during their lifecycles. Therefore the trend that this generation is doing better will face a bump in the road, at least for a month.

This generation won't fall behind the last one anytime soon, but at the same time there's no good reason yet why the lifetime totals wouldn't be similar in the end.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments