By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Metroid Dread discussion

super_etecoon said:

When Other M was released I was beyond excited. I was so happy to see a return to more the of the 2D elements. The recreation of the final scene from Super Metroid was jaw dropping.

Then the game released, and while I enjoyed much of the gameplay, the story just took all the air out of my sails and I still haven’t gone back to replay the title.

I just hope that for all the fanfare this title is creating that what we get lives up to the Metroid I have loved since ‘87. Everyone watching the trailers seem to indicate that it will, but heading in to Other M I never would have predicted how much I would hate hearing Sami’s say “the baby.”

We’ve got a hit on our hands here (even before it has hit shelves) and I just hope the hype is worthy.

Well, if Samus Returns is anything to go by, I strongly doubt Dread will be a disappointment. Same developer, same style... but more everything xD

It might generate some minor controversies here and there (just like some people critizised SR for the Scan Pulse, the melee counter and the inclusion of THAT final boss among other things), but I'm 99% certain that at the very least it will be an incredibly enjoyable game with a huge map to explore, filled with secrets to discover, sporting the fastest and frenetic gameplay of the series so far and with some juicy lore for we longtime Metroid fans to dig in. That's the minimum I think we are gonna get.

From there... It can become the best game of the series or just a competent Metroid game. Either way... it's been 19 years. The fact that we are getting the game at all is worth the hype, even if in the end Dread ends up being just "good".

Around the Network
super_etecoon said:

What is redhibitoire? Is there a new word I'm learning that has always been there but I've just been glossing over?

It's french. My bad and pardon my mistake. Don't know what happened at that moment that made a wild french word slip in my text, but i have to admit that Constantly switching between 4 languages (at a daily basis)can be sometimes confusing to me.

Anyways, it goes by the meaning of something crippling (as a big turn off that makes it refutable and unacceptable).

TruckOSaurus said:
bdbdbd said:

Oh crap. I would love a Metroid game similar to Super Metroid, or a Metroid Prime, but these Other M -types... I think I'll pass.

Metroid Dread is much closer to Super than Other M.

Nah, the gameplay looks like Other M. I know, I actually have the game. Played it once and never touched it again.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

bdbdbd said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Nah, the gameplay looks like Other M. I know, I actually have the game. Played it once and never touched it again.

It's called Gameplay, that's why you won't know until you actually play the game and compare.

And let's say that your assumption is right, Other M 's issue wasn't the gameplay, in fact that's the one and unique strength of the game. It's the story telling and the scenario that made the game unbearable, the order and access to power-ups and everything related to the script.
The gameplay was enjoyable. 

bdbdbd said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Well, maybe you should give it anoter shot then. Because this doesn't look like Other M at all. 

Around the Network
heavenmercenary01 said:
bdbdbd said:

It's called Gameplay, that's why you won't know until you actually play the game and compare.

And let's say that your assumption is right, Other M 's issue wasn't the gameplay, in fact that's the one and unique strength of the game. It's the story telling and the scenario that made the game unbearable, the order and access to power-ups and everything related to the script.

Personally I thought Other M had some big gameplay problems, (the controls and the spot-the-pixel sections for instance) but none of them look to be present in Dread, and from everything we've seen included an extended look at gameplay via Treehouse, this looks absolutely nothing like Other M. (Thank god)

Just 20 days to go, folks! It’s getting close to go time.

super_etecoon said:

Just 20 days to go, folks! It’s getting close to go time.

I can hardly believe that in just 20 days the one and only Metroid Dread from the rumors of almost two decades ago is going to be released for good. Not only that, but with every trailer it looks better and better, to the point I can't contain my excitement for it. It might sound silly, but I think of Metroid Dread at least once every day. No joke folks, It's been years since I've been this excited for a game xD

Have any of you guys gotten your hands on the limited edition? What about the amiibo? I'm personally not interested in the LE because it looks a bit lacking compared to the one of Samus Returns, but I got the EMMI and Samus amiibo preordered since weeks ago ^^

Wow, Nintendo is REALLY trying this time

heavenmercenary01 said:
bdbdbd said:

Well, so far what I've seen about Dread, are the problems I had with Other M; auto aim, melee combat. Also, it took roughly 1,5 hours before I ran into anything challenging in Other M, and was quite frankly so bored that I didn't care to try it again after dying the first time.

Basically the only problem with Other M's storytelling was, that I could not skip it. If it can be skipped, bad story may not matter, if the gameplay is fine.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.