By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Metroid Dread discussion

Oh crap. I would love a Metroid game similar to Super Metroid, or a Metroid Prime, but these Other M -types... I think I'll pass.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network
victor83fernandes said:

Ill get this because its for free, but I'd not pay full price, its just a 2d metroid, and with the power of the switch I still see aliasing there, disappointing. The 3ds metroid was good, but nothing special, got repetitive quick. I just wanted a metroid prime 4 or a remaster of the trilogy. You'd think with the huge sales of the switch, Nintendo would take the opportunity to pump out these games, because there's huge sales potential. Where's prime4? Where's pikmin 4? Where's mario kart 9? almost 4 and half years since launch and still no mario kart? The same with a 2d mario game, the wiiU had one on launch day and it was my all time favourite mario 2d, the wii also had one, and so did the 3ds. And where smash bros? No smash bros the entire generation?

The switch is the most successful Nintendo console ever, they should take it seriously. It feels like Nintendo is just relaxing this generation. Mario tennis was disappointing compared to the previous ones, mario golf was just horrible. A whole generation without a new Donkey kong? A whole generation without Star fox?And what happened to wave race or F zero? What happend to pilot wings? 

What is nintendo doing? Arent they supposed to make games?

I agree that Nintendo should be making more games, but going to the extent of dismissing games because they are just 2D is disgusting. I don't get the 2D game = / = worthy of full price argument. That's not how game markets work. Video games are regularly sold with wildly different budgets, amounts of content, and play experiences all for $60. Sure, we have a "standard" that more or less fits into the idea of "Triple A game". But even that doesn't necessarily leave out Dread, provided the game is long enough to have a high budget for a 2D title (not like Nintendo games aren't super tightly budgeted anyways). If Pilot Wings came back I don't think that'd showcase the Switch any better than this game honestly. $60 price tags have always been inconsistent in what they get you across the industry. 

Saying that you "just wanted" a Prime Trilogy ... I mean, come on. Really, a port over an original game? You'd put down an original game in this context just because it's 2D? That's lame man. 

And while I personally wish Nintendo would implement anti-aliasing, something worth noting is that all the most demanding Switch games tend to not use anti-aliasing. It's a personal decision by Nintendo, and if I had to guess, one that they recommend for third party developers they are working with closely. If I recall correctly, Monster Hunter: Rise, Astral Chain, and just about any big Nintendo game (including Odyssey and BOTW) don't have anti-aliasing systems. It seems to me like a sign that a developer knows where the systems priorities should lie for their game, not something that is inherently bad. 

bdbdbd said:

Oh crap. I would love a Metroid game similar to Super Metroid, or a Metroid Prime, but these Other M -types... I think I'll pass.

Metroid Dread is much closer to Super than Other M.

Signature goes here!

RolStoppable said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Not quite. Dread looks very similar to Fusion which in itself was already a precursor to Other M, namely with the setting being shifted to a space station and an increased focus on storytelling. A fundamental mechanic of Dread are the dangerous robots which suggest similar stealth and escape sections that Fusion had with its SA-X.

After so many years it's hard to imagine that Sakamoto wants to do anything other than space stations, so his works clearly differ from the original three Metroid games and the Metroid Prime series, all of which had alien planets as their locations and were therefore much more enticing to explore than the huge chunks of metal floating in space. Dread's space station will have most likely sectors that mimic environments from Zebes, because that's what Fusion and Other M already had.

I'll buy the game, but I can't bring myself to expect much from it. The track record of Sakamoto's vision and Mercury Steam as a developer just isn't on the level that I want to see from the Metroid IP. Samus Returns was disappointing in many ways and elements of it have been infused in Dread, so once again it's looking like there's too much Sakamoto in this Metroid. It's kind of similar to how there used to be too much Aonuma in Zelda games. Basically, the guy who is at the helm doesn't like the original games much, so his interpretation of the IP strongly differs from what fans loved about the series in the first place. The trailers may even be tailor-made to mislead fans about what the game really is, deliberately showing off the more Metroid-like elements and less of the ill-conceived story direction.

If this ends up being an 8/10 game in my books, I'll be pleasantly surprised. But by the looks of it, this is a 2D game that can't be played with the d-pad, so... yeah... that's not going to be the only thing that will be off.

Looking at the trailers it looks like Metroid Dread will be mostly on a planet, not a space station.

RolStoppable said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Not quite. Dread looks very similar to Fusion which in itself was already a precursor to Other M, namely with the setting being shifted to a space station and an increased focus on storytelling. A fundamental mechanic of Dread are the dangerous robots which suggest similar stealth and escape sections that Fusion had with its SA-X.

After so many years it's hard to imagine that Sakamoto wants to do anything other than space stations, so his works clearly differ from the original three Metroid games and the Metroid Prime series, all of which had alien planets as their locations and were therefore much more enticing to explore than the huge chunks of metal floating in space. Dread's space station will have most likely sectors that mimic environments from Zebes, because that's what Fusion and Other M already had.

I'll buy the game, but I can't bring myself to expect much from it. The track record of Sakamoto's vision and Mercury Steam as a developer just isn't on the level that I want to see from the Metroid IP. Samus Returns was disappointing in many ways and elements of it have been infused in Dread, so once again it's looking like there's too much Sakamoto in this Metroid. It's kind of similar to how there used to be too much Aonuma in Zelda games. Basically, the guy who is at the helm doesn't like the original games much, so his interpretation of the IP strongly differs from what fans loved about the series in the first place. The trailers may even be tailor-made to mislead fans about what the game really is, deliberately showing off the more Metroid-like elements and less of the ill-conceived story direction.

If this ends up being an 8/10 game in my books, I'll be pleasantly surprised. But by the looks of it, this is a 2D game that can't be played with the d-pad, so... yeah... that's not going to be the only thing that will be off.

Metroid Dread takes place on a planet. 

Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

And while I personally wish Nintendo would implement anti-aliasing, something worth noting is that all the most demanding Switch games tend to not use anti-aliasing. It's a personal decision by Nintendo, and if I had to guess, one that they recommend for third party developers they are working with closely. If I recall correctly, Monster Hunter: Rise, Astral Chain, and just about any big Nintendo game (including Odyssey and BOTW) don't have anti-aliasing systems. It seems to me like a sign that a developer knows where the systems priorities should lie for their game, not something that is inherently bad. 

Doom 2016/Eternal, Hellblade, Witcher 3, Wolfenstein 2/Youngblood, and Crysis Remastered are all among the most demanding Switch games and they all use anti-aliasing. Astral Chain does too, at least in docked mode. Luigi's Mansion 3 and Xenoblade 2 as well.

It is mostly a Nintendo EPD thing, and I too wish they'd reconsider this stance, but it's too early to say for Metroid Dread, it could be like Astral Chain and use a post-process solution that's hard to pick up from watching footage online.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 30 August 2021

Well, if a system can make Metroid a gang buster succesfull game instead of a niche sell, it's the Switch.

curl-6 said:

Doom 2016/Eternal, Hellblade, Witcher 3, Wolfenstein 2/Youngblood, and Crysis Remastered are all among the most demanding Switch games and they all use anti-aliasing. Astral Chain does too, at least in docked mode. Luigi's Mansion 3 and Xenoblade 2 as well.

It is mostly a Nintendo EPD thing, and I too wish they'd reconsider this stance, but it's too early to say for Metroid Dread, it could be like Astral Chain and use a post-process solution that's hard to pick up from watching footage online.

Ehhhh. I didn't literally mean "all the most", I'm not sure why I said that (honestly I tend to focus on original titles pushing the Switch a lot more than ports, so I probably meant it in that sense). Just that a lot of the games that show off the system don't have it. I did forget about Astral Chain having anti-aliasing though (doesn't in handheld, but I meant it in general so). My bad for both I wasn't thinking about wordage/was wrong on the second one at the time. Still feel like it's not a stretch to say that EPD personally chose not to, and that it might have been a recommendation for the Rise team during its development, or just that a similar conclusion was drawn to. Also wouldn't say Xenoblade 2 shows the Switch off that well to be honest. 

RolStoppable said:
Kakadu18 said:

Looking at the trailers it looks like Metroid Dread will be mostly on a planet, not a space station.

Let's hope so. All the simulated environments in Fusion and Other M make me cautious of believing what I am seeing.

Even though I don't think Fusion's problem was its environment conceptually (plenty of cool ways to accomplish a Metroid game entirely on a ship), nor do I think its the games biggest problem in execution, I do think that there were some problems relating to that. The connection between areas never felt natural, and while that is due to the execution, it also feels like they wouldn't have created that result had it not been on a ship. 

In general, even if I love the game, it's nice to see people calling Fusion out on some of its bullshit  

curl-6 said:

Ehhhh. I didn't literally mean "all the most", I'm not sure why I said that (honestly I tend to focus on original titles pushing the Switch a lot more than ports, so I probably meant it in that sense). Just that a lot of the games that show off the system don't have it. I did forget about Astral Chain having anti-aliasing though (doesn't in handheld, but I meant it in general so). My bad for both I wasn't thinking about wordage/was wrong on the second one at the time. Still feel like it's not a stretch to say that EPD personally chose not to, and that it might have been a recommendation for the Rise team during its development, or just that a similar conclusion was drawn to. Also wouldn't say Xenoblade 2 shows the Switch off that well to be honest. 

Yeah EPD's games almost all lack it.

As far as original titles not from Nintendo, Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle has it, so I assume Sparks of Hope will too.

I didn't mean to imply Xenoblade 2 is a good showcase for the system, I only included it as a first party game with AA, apologies for wording that poorly.

The system's clearly shown it's capable of doing decent AA so it's a shame so many of its games lack it.

well i just come back here to say, damn it still looks good lol. Can't wait to play it.